Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gate found in Karnak Temple adds new name to

Still Waters

Engraved limestone gate unearthed in Karnak temple complex on Luxor’s east bank bears name of King Ahmose’s previously unknown great-grandfather.

During routine excavations on the northern side of the Amun-Re Temple in Luxor’s famous Karnak temple complex, a team from the French-Egyptian Centre for the Study of the Karnak Temples this week unearthed a gate that they say has led to a significant breakthrough in archaeologists’ understanding of Egypt’s enigmatic 17th Dynasty.It was this dynasty that launched the military campaign that eventually succeeded in ridding Egypt of the tribe of invaders known as the “Hyksos.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kmt_sesh

• questionmark

• Space Commander Travis

• Still Waters

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Gate? .... Would this be a ... Portal? :unsure2: Do you think they'd be wise to open it? :unsure2::rolleyes:

Nice find but I'm not sure it really adds a new name to the king list but instead lends further support for one that was already hinted at in other places.

cormac

Nice find but I'm not sure it really adds a new name to the king list but instead lends further support for one that was already hinted at in other places.

cormac

You would be right. The article gives the name as "Sen-Nakht-En-Re" (a.k.a., Senakhtenre Tao) and this is probably the already attested father of Seqenenre Tao II and grandfather of Kamose and Ahmose. So he's already a known entity, but not well known. And this is a rather murky part of pharaonic history, so all finds are helpful.

As far as that goes, so little is known and attested of Senakhtenre Tao that some have questioned whether Senakhtenre Tao and Seqenenre Tao II were the same guy.

Say, that bee thing looks kind of familiar, like the Abydos inscription.

Say, that bee thing looks kind of familiar, like the Abydos inscription.

The Egyptians domesticated and traveled on giant bees. But only the royals and nobles. And only when their riverboats were in the shop.

The Egyptians domesticated and traveled on giant bees. But only the royals and nobles. And only when their riverboats were in the shop.

Short on bread? (looks like you are practicing to pull a Daniken) :devil:

Short on bread? (looks like you are practicing to pull a Daniken) :devil:

No, no, no. I said "giant bees," not "giant alien bees."

The distinction is important.

oops, so sorry....

Besides, the 'bee' is clearly a stegosaurus. :P