Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird Fears

trancelikestate

Just out of curiosity is there anyone on here who has, or know anyone who has, what might be considered a "weird," abnormal or straight up irrational fear? I'm not talking snakes or spiders but things like globophobia, a fear of balloons. What are they and where do you think they came from?

Edited by trancelikestate

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trancelikestate

• I Am Not Resisting

• Ratte

• White Crane Feather

I have a fear of whales. Watching video of them swimming in the ocean is pretty scary, and I can't watch for too long. The weird part is I didn't used to be, and I have no clue what triggered it, and when. And I'm not afraid of sharks (well, of course I would be if I was swimming with a hungry one, but watching them is just fine with me).

I have a fear of whales. Watching video of them swimming in the ocean is pretty scary, and I can't watch for too long. The weird part is I didn't used to be, and I have no clue what triggered it, and when. And I'm not afraid of sharks (well, of course I would be if I was swimming with a hungry one, but watching them is just fine with me).

hey a giant creature that can swallow you whole. That's a healthy thing to avoid I would think.

edit: mods took care of it.

I have a fear that I will die by driving my car off a bridge and wind up stuck underwater while staying conscious the whole time until I drown. It's a recurring nightmare that I've had for years.

Edited by BiffSplitkins

I wonder if it's possible that we develop those fears because they're ways we've died in past lives ? If you believe our soul passes from body to body over time. I'm open to the possibility, but I'm far from convinced. Just a what if.

the only thing im scared of is something happening to my best friend.

Funny you should mention it, my friend actually IS afraid of balloons. It's his only fear, or so he says.

Me? I'm afraid of horses, but only if I'm within 5 or so feet.

I knew someone who was afraid of balloons. Downright terrified of them.

I don't know that you'd call it some much a fear, but I can't touch cotton balls. The very thought of doing so sends shivers down my spine.

I also will not eat fruit that is not in fruit from. Just can't do it.

I'm afraid of not making the turn correctly on a highway curve and getting into an accident. This doesn't stop me from driving. I am also afraid to fly in an airplane, but I do that too.

post-71071-0-25756100-1331081864_thumb.j

Driving a car, owls, pregnant women and child birth.

LOL pregnant women used to creep me out until I became pregnant.

As far as fears, I'm scared of balloons, but only if people are touching or squeezing them near me. Also, the biscuit containers that pop when you open them. :blush:

LOL pregnant women used to creep me out until I became pregnant.

As far as fears, I'm scared of balloons, but only if people are touching or squeezing them near me. Also, the biscuit containers that pop when you open them. :blush:

I'm just terrified of pregnancy. If I could get pregnant and did, I'd just die. If I ever got a chick pregnant, well that would be the end of me. I wouldn't be able to be around her and she'd hate me for it, but it's a fear, not me being a jerk.

Those things always startle me, even when I know they are going to pop open.

I'm just terrified of pregnancy. If I could get pregnant and did, I'd just die. If I ever got a chick pregnant, well that would be the end of me. I wouldn't be able to be around her and she'd hate me for it, but it's a fear, not me being a jerk.

Those things always startle me, even when I know they are going to pop open.

they're a little like those aliens from "alien" eh :P

alien.jpg

they're a little like those aliens from "alien" eh :P

alien.jpg

I'm not sure if you meant it like I thought you did but I think Ratte was refering to the two completely unrelated things in my post. Not like the kids popping out, lol. You gave me a good laugh though! :w00t:

Oh wow lol! yeah, I was reffering to two different things. Thats.... Just terrifying. I'm going to think about an alien poping out of her the next time I see my friend Jade. I can stand to be around her because she isn't showing yet, but in a few months I'm gonna be all tweaky around her and trying to get away from her.

My greatest aversion, something that just makes me shudder and my skin crawl is....getting sticky :o I know it sounds silly but I cannot STAND the idea of getting syrup or glue or anything sticky on my skin and be unable to get it off.

I'm scared of people. And not in the "I'm scared they won't like me" way, I'm actually scared they will physically attack and hurt me, so I'm always on guard around people. As for the reason why, I had an abusive childhood, so it's probably because of that.

Back when I was a kid, my pet rabbit died, and for weeks I was terrified that his angry spirit would return and get revenge on me for not being able to keep him alive. I seriously had nightmares about a giant rabbit chasing me. Now it just seems hilarious, but back then it was terrifying :ph34r:

EDIT: Oh, and I am terrified of wasps and bees, but that's probably not that weird or unusual :P

Edited by Chronii

Dolls that look like small people..... also, small people. I don't mean 5ft or 4ft.... more like 2ft.

Edited by Eldorado

I have always had an uncomfortable sensation when around preasurized items. Ballons not so much, but paint ball co2 canisters... Uggg playing paintball is torture with that thing right next to my face.

I wonder if it's possible that we develop those fears because they're ways we've died in past lives ? If you believe our soul passes from body to body over time. I'm open to the possibility, but I'm far from convinced. Just a what if.

There is something to this. My oldest and most sensitive son, as a baby, he would freak out at a particular point in a baby einstiens video. I could not pinpoint exactly where because he started to anticipate when tha part was comeing up. After watching him for a while, I figured out that this view of an on comeing toy train was freaking him out. But he was just a baby, just old enough to crawl. strange.

Clowns...they freak me out..

That's not unusual. This is a common fear started when you're young and learning human faces. Then your dick parents take you to see a clown because they think you'll find it enjoyable, and your world is toppled upside down.

I still remember an early memory of being scared by a clown's face, and my dad trying to say it was okay. :ph34r:

I get a little panicky when I pass a transport truck on the highway, it's the wheels that do it mostly. I don't think it's that weird though.

Emus freak me right out.

Pinecones terrify my daughter. Makes for some interesting camping trips. :mellow:

I have an irrational fear of talking on the phone. In general I dislike it to the point that I avoid it if possible. The funny thing is that usually once I am talking on the phone, its fine, the fear goes away, but initiating the phone call, or answering a call is very anxiety inducing.

Edited by orangepeaceful79