Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Risk of Human Extinction Underestimated

Bracket

Thanks for the comments.

look at the rate of population growth on this graph (courtesy of Wikipedia)

550px-Population_curve.svg.png

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayMark

• questionmark

• 27vet

• reggie2011

If you look at how long humanity has been on earth and how many times species have been whipped out, then it's inevitable that we will be eradicated at some point. In fact it would seem that we are overdo for another extinction. Humanity is resilient to a certain degree, but there are many creatures that will probably outlive us and possibly surpass us.

I'm leaning toward a virus of some sort or other. At some point our tampering with nature will come back to bite us.

that some crazy son of a **EDIT** who modified the H2N1 virus is one of the factor.

**Your attempt to bypass the profanity filter is not appreciated.**

Edited by aquatus1

I've never been much interested in whether or not the human race will eventually render itself extinct since the Sun is eventually going to do that for us anyway. However, I read one article about this scientist guy who believes the human population will taper off round 2070 or so. I have always wondered about this, because it seems to me that only so much of the Earth's mass can be converted into human beings. Does anyone know more about this, because this scientist guy didn't really explain why to my satisfaction.

I very much doubt that the sun will kill us. We'll most likely be long extinct by the time the sun dies.

The person that is listening to the voices in their head is as much of a danger as a asteroid. All they need to do is get to thinking the earth needs purified and get their hands on some bio engineered disease that's 100 time more lethal than its original version. Then you have all the scientists digging around in places that haven't been exposed to the air in thousands or hundreds of thousands of years that could unwittingly unleash something.

There are diseases we have to deal with everyday that are becoming immune to antibiotics. One day antibiotics may not have any effect on most of them. Another thing that could end humanity is the ability to have children. I read a article several years ago that said since WW11 a mans sperm count has been going down. Some of these STD's could keep you from having a healthy child.

Another point is our behaviors.

I really think the earth could easily be able to handle 10, 15, 20+ billion people as long as we use our resources responsibly which is far from beeing the case right now.