Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Listen to 9. 0-Magnitude Japanese Earthquake:

Karlis

Last year's 9.0-magnitude Tohoku-Oki, Japan, earthquake's seismic waves converted into audio files. The results allow experts and general audiences to "hear" what the quake sounded like as it moved through the earth and around the globe. arrow3.gifRead more...
This recording of the 2011 Japanese earthquake was taken near the coastline of Japan between Fukushima Daiichi (the nuclear reactor site) and Tokyo. The initial blast of sound is the 9.0 mainshock. As the earth's plates slipped dozens of meters into new positions, aftershocks occurred. They are indicated by "pop" noises immediately following the mainshock sound. These plate adjustments will likely continue for years. >audio clip.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• Raptor Witness

• Scare_Crow

• susieice

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sounds like rain on a tin roof with a possum running around.

I received an animal sign that has answered this question better than any man. It was so rare as to rival the stories of King Solomon.

No man can produce such a thing, and no imagination is necessary to believe it, for it was personal and timed perfectly.

In memory of those who have died in this terrible disaster, I will remain silent, until Tuscany speaks.

I received an animal sign that has answered this question better than any man.

No one asked any question. You are not a prophet. Move on with your life.

In memory of those who have died in this terrible disaster, I will remain silent, until Tuscany speaks.

The time to remain silent is before you offend everyone by babbling on about it.

Several years ago when we had a earthquake here I heard it before the shaking started. I have been in quakes before but that was the first time I had that happen.

Um...really, we get earthquakes a lot here. We just had a pretty big one about half an hour ago. Felt like a 6.0, thereabouts. Not that big a deal, really.

Raptor...

You're not a prophet. Deal with it.

I don't know who to believe more, the man who draws a scary looking picture three days before an event like this, or the fools in Japan who built six nuclear power plants behind a 20' sea wall, years in advance.

Given the history of tsunamis all over the world, and the list is long [1,] I think the people of Japan could have used a prophet or two. Heck, I would have settled for some common sense.

If you worked as hard to expose the underlying guilt of those who are clearly responsible for this nightmare, or if you bothered to ask, "what's wrong with TEPCO's picture" of a 20' sea wall next to Tsunami Land, perhaps you could claim some credibility here.

How can those who refuse to see, or who fail to see or criticize an obvious danger, possibly see someone's well-timed artistic representation of it?

post-46912-0-60024700-1331759631_thumb.j

Edited by Scare Crow

I don't know who to believe more, the man who draws a scary looking picture three days before an event like this, or the fools in Japan who built six nuclear power plants behind a 20' sea wall, years in advance.

Go with the fools. Anyone can doodle a meaningless sketch and proclaim it holds the secrets of the universe. It takes people with brains to design facilities so strong they survived for three decades in one of the most seismically active regions in the world, even surviving one of the worst earthquakes in human history. Out of the 55 nuclear facilities in Japan, only one failed, and that was because of a tsunami that, back when this facility was being built, we still had a vague idea where caused by tides, and referred to them as tidal waves.

Given the history of tsunamis all over the world, and the list is long [1,] I think the people of Japan could have used a prophet or two. Heck, I would have settled for some common sense.

Here's some common sense for you: You have a limited budget. You need to decide where to allocate resources. Do you put most of your money on a risk that you can quantify, assess, minimize, and counter? Or do you spend that money on a hypothetical danger, one which you do not know what level of danger it presents, or even if it is a danger at all?

Everything is obvious in hindsight. The real question is how many people can get things done in advance. Prophets? They don't get anything done. All they do is talk. And usually, they do so in such a way that makes people not listen.

If you worked as hard to expose the underlying guilt of those who are clearly responsible for this nightmare, or if you bothered to ask, "what's wrong with TEPCO's picture" of a 20' sea wall next to Tsunami Land, perhaps you could claim some credibility here.

:huh:

Credibility for what?

For claiming that raptor isn't a prophet?

How can those who refuse to see, or who fail to see or criticize an obvious danger, possibly see someone's well-timed artistic representation of it?

Well, putting aside the obvious bias of you being Raptor's wife, let's look at the logic here: Let us assume, for the purpose of this argument, that this was an actual prophecy, as opposed to self-delusional, egotistical, nonsense.

1) Well timed? The plants have been there for three decades. Three days is worthless.

2) Was it accurate? Not really. Well, at least it narrowed it down to the entire Pacific Rim.

3) Was it even a prediction? No, actually it was posted right after a pretty decent sized earthquake had already hit. Loosely translated, the closest we get is "To come", "I begin", "I tear apart". Not exactly astounding terms to use regarding an earthquake. How about the three days thing? No mention of that till after the quake. What about the direction of the waves? Well, not only was there no mention of that, but heck...where else are the waves going to go? So, like most prophecies, it was not even a prediction; it was actually a post-diction. Interpreted (heavily) after the fact.

4) The biggie. We know that, even if we assume this was actually some metaphysically inspired prediction, it wasn't well-timed, it wasn't particularly accurate, and it wasn't actually predicting anything. But, at least, was it useful?

Not at all. Really, what can you do with that picture? Can you plan three decades in advance? Can you get more information on what the actual danger is? Can you eliminate, minimize, heck, even determine if there is any actual risk at all? What actual value, what actual data, can we draw from that picture?

None. Whether the picture was posted three days in advance, or three decades in advance...whether we truly believed this was a divinely inspired prediction or just some self-delusional ego-stroke..whether we genuinely wanted to take action, or whether we just tossed it into the circular file...absolutely nothing would have changed. The picture would have had utterly no impact at all on anything.

So, even if we make the assumption that the prediction was true, even if we don't question the veracity of the actual claim, we are still left with nothing. We have no plan of action, we have no direction for research, we have no timeline...we have absolutely nothing. Even if we make the assumption it was true.

That's enough out of me. I am only going to get more and more disgusted as I go on, and this topic has been derailed for their ego's long enough.

Um...really, we get earthquakes a lot here. We just had a pretty big one about half an hour ago. Felt like a 6.0, thereabouts. Not that big a deal, really.

You are braver than I aquatus. I'm only saying we heard this morning that there were more earthquakes on Wednesday. I guess one resulted in a tsunami warning that was canceled soon after. A 6.0 is a pretty good size quake. You sound like you're getting used to them.

Go with the fools. Anyone can doodle a meaningless sketch and proclaim it holds the secrets of the universe. It takes people with brains to design facilities so strong they survived for three decades in one of the most seismically active regions in the world, even surviving one of the worst earthquakes in human history.

Let the record show that the man has been visiting the http://earthquake.usgs.gov/ website for many years, often several times per day.

On average, each day there are about 40 new earthquakes published [1,] of magnitude 4.0 and greater, depicted in real time, and which might be considered foreshocks of future, larger events.

Out of the thousands of foreshocks he had to choose from, he picked only a couple to doodlelaborate on, in Latin. The first [2,] led to what happened in Haiti in early 2010, and the second [3,] led to the tragic events that unfolded in Japan in 2011.

In terms of loss of life and property damage, these two are by far the two worst since he started "doodling."

All "doodling" aside, why pick these two out of the thousands he had to choose from?

You're looking at snap shots. I'm looking at the theme of the individual pieces, the collections, and the entire gallery.

Intuition is an important component of some brains.

post-46912-0-90887900-1332357840_thumb.j

NSA - Career Opportunities "Where Intelligence Goes to Work"

Intelligence. It's the ability to think abstractly. Challenge the unknown. Solve the impossible. And at NSA, it's about protecting the Nation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What Is Abstract Thinking?

Abstract thinking is a concept often compared to concrete thinking, in which thinking is limited to what’s in front of the face, and the here and now. In contrast, the abstract thinker can conceptualize or generalize, understanding that each concept can have multiple meanings. Such thinkers might see patterns beyond the obvious and be able to use patterns or a variety of concrete ideas or clues to solve larger problems. One example of this contrast could be the reactions of a concrete and abstract thinker to the same painting of a women holding a torch. The concrete thinker would interpret the painting in a literal way, but the abstract thinker might interpret the painting as a representation of the Statue of Liberty and conclude the painter wanted to celebrate freedom.

There are many ways in which abstract thinking may be of benefit to people. It helps to problem solve in more creative ways, and has a tendency to allow people to think “outside of the box.” It also allows for richer conceptual understanding, and there are some early psychiatrists that believe “thinking” is not the only part of abstract knowledge. Carl Jung defined some personality types as having the ability to abstractly feel, intuit or sense, in addition to having ability to think. WiseGeek.com

Edited by Scare Crow

Let the record show that I am amending my previously held opinion: I am no longer unsure as to whether Scarecrow is a separate person from Raptor Witness. I now believe they are either the same person, or are so identical in thought and behaviour as to make no discernible difference.

When you start caring about creating something useful, more than about making other people believe you are right, then you can engage me again. I will not be pandering to your desire for attention any longer.

• 1 month later...

I received an animal sign that has answered this question better than any man. It was so rare as to rival the stories of King Solomon.

No man can produce such a thing, and no imagination is necessary to believe it, for it was personal and timed perfectly.

On the eve of the annular eclipse over the island of Japan, "Tuscany has spoken" ... in two ways.

The name "Alberto" is traditionally a Latin name. It's very rare for a tropical storm to form this early, especially in this area of the Atlantic Basin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8I4KmIiibo

7232188954_15e8360253_z.jpg

7232256200_e69b0ac0f8_z.jpg

Edited by Raptor Witness

Go with the fools. Anyone can doodle a meaningless sketch and proclaim it holds the secrets of the universe. It takes people with brains to design facilities so strong they survived for three decades in one of the most seismically active regions in the world, even surviving one of the worst earthquakes in human history. Out of the 55 nuclear facilities in Japan, only one failed, and that was because of a tsunami that, back when this facility was being built, we still had a vague idea where caused by tides, and referred to them as tidal waves.

Here's some common sense for you: You have a limited budget. You need to decide where to allocate resources. Do you put most of your money on a risk that you can quantify, assess, minimize, and counter? Or do you spend that money on a hypothetical danger, one which you do not know what level of danger it presents, or even if it is a danger at all?

Everything is obvious in hindsight. The real question is how many people can get things done in advance. Prophets? They don't get anything done. All they do is talk. And usually, they do so in such a way that makes people not listen.

huh.gif

Credibility for what?

For claiming that raptor isn't a prophet?

Well, putting aside the obvious bias of you being Raptor's wife, let's look at the logic here: Let us assume, for the purpose of this argument, that this was an actual prophecy, as opposed to self-delusional, egotistical, nonsense.

1) Well timed? The plants have been there for three decades. Three days is worthless.

2) Was it accurate? Not really. Well, at least it narrowed it down to the entire Pacific Rim.

3) Was it even a prediction? No, actually it was posted right after a pretty decent sized earthquake had already hit. Loosely translated, the closest we get is "To come", "I begin", "I tear apart". Not exactly astounding terms to use regarding an earthquake. How about the three days thing? No mention of that till after the quake. What about the direction of the waves? Well, not only was there no mention of that, but heck...where else are the waves going to go? So, like most prophecies, it was not even a prediction; it was actually a post-diction. Interpreted (heavily) after the fact.

4) The biggie. We know that, even if we assume this was actually some metaphysically inspired prediction, it wasn't well-timed, it wasn't particularly accurate, and it wasn't actually predicting anything. But, at least, was it useful?

Not at all. Really, what can you do with that picture? Can you plan three decades in advance? Can you get more information on what the actual danger is? Can you eliminate, minimize, heck, even determine if there is any actual risk at all? What actual value, what actual data, can we draw from that picture?

None. Whether the picture was posted three days in advance, or three decades in advance...whether we truly believed this was a divinely inspired prediction or just some self-delusional ego-stroke..whether we genuinely wanted to take action, or whether we just tossed it into the circular file...absolutely nothing would have changed. The picture would have had utterly no impact at all on anything.

So, even if we make the assumption that the prediction was true, even if we don't question the veracity of the actual claim, we are still left with nothing. We have no plan of action, we have no direction for research, we have no timeline...we have absolutely nothing. Even if we make the assumption it was true.

That's enough out of me. I am only going to get more and more disgusted as I go on, and this topic has been derailed for their ego's long enough.

Aquatas,

I guess it depends on what type of prophet we are talking about my friend. This is a very slippery slope in my eyes. The Bible speaks of prophecy about earthquakes, famine, and all sorts of disasters. However, these prophecies were made by men under the influence of gods word.

I almost feel strange writing this. I am far from a good man, so writing about the bible tends to strike a cord with me. Kind of the pot calling the kettle black, you know?

I guess what I am getting at is that in my mind, I think we can only pray that there are prophets. The prophets in my mind are far different then predicting earthquakes after the fact. While I agree that prophets now aday tend to talk, we must remember that some prophets have been teachers, teaching a word that is still taught today.

I tried to write this with the utmost respect to your beliefs. I am unworthy of speaking gods word so please do not feel like I am trying to push religion on you. However, should you choose to accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal saviour, I don't think god would be mad at me for dropping a little word here and there. :innocent:

• 2 weeks later...