Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Velociraptor's last meal revealed

Still Waters

The bone of a large flying reptile has been found in the gut of a Velociraptor, sparking fresh discussion among palaeontologists.

Velociraptors have previously been described as "hyper predators".

However, scientists suggest this pterosaur was too large to be the Velociraptor's intended prey but could have been scavenged.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taun

• Freshness

• Orb Em Ezat Tnod

• taiwan

Top Posters In This Topic

They seem to have overlooked the possibility of a herd (or gang, or pack, whatever) of raptors coming upon a (perhaps) nesting 'large reptile' and doing to it what a pack of wolves do to a bison...

Do I think 'raptors could have been scavengers - sure... there is just no conclusive evidence IMO...

What's wrong with them being both? Predators who scavenge when they need to, through injury or lack of prey.... or good luck?

@Taun :tu:

Edited by Eldorado

What's wrong with them being both? Predators who scavenge when they need to, through injury or lack of prey.... or good luck?

well said..

@Taun :tu:

Kind of what I was thinking - though you said it better...

This is exactly what I think T-Rex was - an opportunistic predator/scavenger... In fact - I would think that most of the dino-carnivores were this way...

I wish I could eat a large flying reptile for my last meal...

Wow, that's the same meal i had last night, Teridactyl Bones!

They seem to have overlooked the possibility of a herd (or gang, or pack, whatever) of raptors coming upon a (perhaps) nesting 'large reptile' and doing to it what a pack of wolves do to a bison...

Do I think 'raptors could have been scavengers - sure... there is just no conclusive evidence IMO...

We have to go with the evidence, which is remain of pterosaur in the gut of velociraptor. The logic behind the theory is that pterosaur is a flying dinosaur too high for velociraptor to reach, and too large for velociraptor to go at unless the velociraptor is not afraid of being eaten alive by a much larger dino. It's also safe to conclude that a successful species such as pterosaur wouldn't leave its nest on the ground for other non-flying predators to feast. If that were the case they'd be extinct pretty quickly without a chance to leave much fossil. Based on the logic the conclusion is very reasonable, whereas your argument of a pack (no fossil evidence here) of velociraptor raiding a nest (no evidence here either) is based on too many assumptions.

Edited by taiwan