Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baby Dies From Herpes

thedutchiedutch

A baby died at a New York hospital in September after contracting herpes from a controversial circumcision ritual.

The infant died at Maimonides Hospital in Brooklyn, where the cause of death was listed as "disseminated herpes simplex virus Type 1,

complicating ritual circumcision with oral suction," according to the New York Daily News.

Now, the Brooklyn District Attorney's office is looking further into the case, the Jewish Week reports.

The boy is the second New York area infant in recent years to die from complications related to the Orthodox Jewish ritual of metzitzah b'peh,

during which "the mohel places his mouth on the freshly circumcised penis to draw blood away from the cut," according to the New York City Department of Heath.

Another infant died in 2005 after contracting herpes from a rabbi who performed the procedure.

At least three infants are thought to have contracted the disease from the same mohel in 2004, but when city officials denounced the practice,

Haredi leaders became defensive and alleged government shouldn't impede on a religious ritual, according to the Jewish Telegraphic Agency.

The mohel in question disputed claims that he was the cause of the infection.

Still, there are other alternatives to the direct mouth to skin contact.

The Rabbincal Council of America supports using a sterilized tube to suction the wound, FOX News observes. In a news release,

the organization states the method "absolutely fulfills the precept whilst placing the infant and mohel at no additional risk."

Avi Billet, a South Florida rabbi and mohel, agrees the sterilized method is perhaps the best way to carry out the practice.

Link to Full Article and Source

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Neognosis

• Parsip

• JayMark

the mohel places his mouth on the freshly circumcised penis

You sure it wasn't a Catholic priest performing the circumcision? :whistle:

So they... molest the babies... with their mouths???

Always nice to see good moral upstanding citizens of this country mutilating and molesting defenseless babies.

The male foreskin has upwards of double the nerve endings that a female clitoris does but to commit the act of circumcision on a male is perfectly legal and accepted where on a female it's illegal and frowned down on. But hey, it's a religious practice so it must be ok to mutilate children for the sake of a few stories! :no:

Always nice to see good moral upstanding citizens of this country mutilating and molesting defenseless babies.

The male foreskin has upwards of double the nerve endings that a female clitoris does but to commit the act of circumcision on a male is perfectly legal and accepted where on a female it's illegal and frowned down on. But hey, it's a religious practice so it must be ok to mutilate children for the sake of a few stories! :no:

Maybe where you're from.

That definitely can't be kosher.

rolleyes.gif

Circumcision done properly is fine, even adult men have it done not just infants. It has religious foundations for Jews and Muslims but in contemporary many non religious adult men have it done too.

The procedure used in the article is new to me and seems a little absurd and extreme....

The global prevalence of child sexual abuse has been estimated at 19.7% for females and 7.9% for males, according to a 2009 study published in Clinical Psychology Review that examined 65 studies from 22 countries. Using the available data, the highest prevalence rate of child sexual abuse geographically was found in Africa (34.4%), primarily because of high rates in South Africa; Europe showed the lowest prevalence rate (9.2%); America and Asia had prevalence rates between 10.1% and 23.9%.[11] In the past, other research has concluded similarly that in North America, for example, approximately 15% to 25% of women and 5% to 15% of men were sexually abused when they were children.[12][13][14] Most sexual abuse offenders are acquainted with their victims; approximately 30% are relatives of the child, most often brothers, fathers, uncles or cousins; around 60% are other acquaintances such as 'friends' of the family, babysitters, or neighbors; strangers are the offenders in approximately 10% of child sexual abuse cases.[12] Most child sexual abuse is committed by men; studies show that women commit 14% to 40% of offenses reported against boys and 6% of offenses reported against girls.[12][13][15] Most offenders who sexually abuse prepubescent children are pedophiles,[16][17] although some offenders do not meet the clinical diagnosis standards for pedophilia.[18][19]

I often wonder at the intelligence level of many who post here, the ignorance level is astounding, I get flabegasted at times with this kind of thing, like the above quote. What suprises me are the people I respect who think this kind of thing is funny. Perhaps I respect to easily.

I know, it was supposed to be a joke... I'm sure most Catholic people and priests are fine people, and I'm glad they exist.

I know, it was supposed to be a joke... I'm sure most Catholic people and priests are fine people, and I'm glad they exist.

Something I have come to notice throughout life with all humans -> It is easy to preach respect, but not easy to give it when required... Stereotyping everyone to the same brush is a cowards way out ...Many people, who do not like their own kind of people tarnished, are willing to tarnish and mock others just the same... Irony- the word is built on it

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Something I have come to notice throughout life with all humans -> It is easy to preach respect, but not easy to give it when required... Stereotyping everyone to the same brush is a cowards way out ...Many people, who do not like their own kind of people tarnished, are willing to tarnish and mock others just the same... Irony- the word is built on it

I think the key word here is "vague", not irony. If you have something to say to me, Becky, say it.

I think the key word here is "vague", not irony.

Oh its irony... ironic how people will not like their own kind mocked but willing to do it at others in general....That has irony all over it and if you like double standards lol

If you have something to say to me, Becky, say it.

Ok then.. try re-readig what I previously aimed my quote at... I think you will find it was a general statement.. see below..

Something I have come to notice throughout life with all humans ->

Speaking about ALL humans.. not just you...It is called making a general statement.. and yes it includes you too.. It means everyone.. I could make it for you alone if you like ...If it will make you feel that bit more special then say the word ..BM holds nothing back lol tongue.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom

This is one reason why I have decided if I ever have a son I won't even CONSIDER having him circumcised. Even if it isn't done by a shady rabbi who then "draws blood away from the cut" :blink:

This is one reason why I have decided if I ever have a son I won't even CONSIDER having him circumcised. Even if it isn't done by a shady rabbi who then "draws blood away from the cut" :blink:

I am due to have a son very soon... And I wont be allowing some mad religious person do it...

Oh its irony... ironic how people will not like their own kind mocked but willing to do it at others in general....That has irony all over it and if you like double standards lol

Ok then.. try re-readig what I previously aimed my quote at... I think you will find it was a general statement.. see below..

Speaking about ALL humans.. not just you...It is called making a general statement.. and yes it includes you too.. It means everyone.. I could make it for you alone if you like ...If it will make you feel that bit more special then say the word ..BM holds nothing back lol tongue.gif

I mocked no one. It was a humorous remark meant to make the reader smile, not to demean Catholics, for whom I have great respect. I don't know what you mean by "your kind", but I'm pretty sure it's irrelevant here. :)

I mocked no one. It was a humorous remark meant to make the reader smile, not to demean Catholics

Not a very funny joke I saw it as a sad attempt to make a joke about the catholic priests........In fact is is more mockery. and pretty sick..... I saw no one laughing I doubt smiling either...And I am not going to sit dragging on about your poor choice of words/ humour...Especially when the story is about a baby who died over another religious ritual ..Not exactly the kind of story worth making jokes over hmm.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Not every reader is a poster. You don't guess the intention behind a joke by measuring how funny it is. And finally, people joke about far worse things than babies who die due to circumcision. I think you're overreacting, Becky. :yes:

You don't guess the intention behind a joke by measuring how funny it is

I'm so sorry I must have forgotten to laugh.. I guess everyone else must have too,.. As no one care to laugh... ..Anyhoo I do not care to talk further bout some sad joke ..I have better things to do

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Mezizah.

I believe in some or one eastern culture, mothers will suck the penis of their infant babies in attempt to calm them or something like that. Cultural but disgusting nonetheless.

Edited by dside