Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The colour pink does not exist

Still Waters

t's the favourite of little girls the world over, associated with femininity, springtime and romance.

Yet scientists this have announced that the colour pink does not actually exist.

Well it does, but only in our minds.

The trouble lies in the fact pink is a combination of red and violet, two colours, which - if you look at a rainbow - are on the opposite sides of the spectrum.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RedSquirrel

• JayMark

• Taun

• Eldorado

Everything we see is in our minds, not only non-pure colors. So pink is as real as red or blue are concerning our brains.

Considering there are only 6 pure spectral colors (7 if you add indigo as Newton did) and that they can be combined to make about 10 million colors that our eye can perceive, I don't see what's so special about pink. Simply because it's make up of red and violet which are thw two "antipodes" of the spectrum?

Pink the color (or colour) does (kind of in the way that the title is made for a combination of light) exist, pink the light does not. Pink the artist does, and scares the ever loving guano out of me. Pink the song by Aerosmith does exist, but the video also disturbs me.

I almost posted the 'minute physics' video, but it's in the original link at the bottom.

And engineers have stated before that bumble bee's can not fly...

And yet they do...

I suppose this means that the town of Pink, Oklahoma will have to change it's name... that will upset the 15 (or so) people that actually live there...

Edited by Taun

And engineers have stated before that bumble bee's can not fly...

And yet they do...

I suppose this means that the town of Pink, Oklahoma will have to change it's name... that will upset the 15 (or so) people that actually live there...

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/5400/title/Math_Trek__Flight_of_the_Bumblebee

So, no one "proved" that a bumblebee can't fly. What was shown was that a certain simple mathematical model wasn't adequate or appropriate for describing the flight of a bumblebee.

In the spirit of Moose-hood, I give you full reign over being picky. I apologize, I'm a bug guy. "Where is your pink now?". Honestly, this is nothing new though, just in the news because some people who don't understand how it works got upset... just my opinion though, so take with a mountain of salt.

EDIT: Also, us Squirrels have a long history of liking Moose-kind.

Edited by RedSquirrel

Please could someone tell this to all the men that insist on wearing pink tee-shirts and jumpers :(

Edited by Kryso

In the spirit of Moose-hood, I give you full reign over being picky. I apologize, I'm a bug guy. "Where is your pink now?". Honestly, this is nothing new though, just in the news because some people who don't understand how it works got upset... just my opinion though, so take with a mountain of salt.

EDIT: Also, us Squirrels have a long history of liking Moose-kind.

Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a pink out of my hat!

Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a pink out of my hat!

That trick never works Bullwinkle.

Now for something you'll really like.

if i see it existing in nature it's real enough for me.

there are several instances where i've been hiking in the late afternoon and as the sun was getting lower the air had a pink quality to it. i don't know if anyone else has experienced this but it's very cool!

What will Hollywood stylists do without pink !?!?

And do the flamingos know ?!

Actually ,the flamingo gets its coloring from something called astaxanthin.

Flamingos are born white.Something they eat contains astaxanthin,which is dark red,and it stains their feathers as they grow,from the inside out.

I say pink exists ! and damn the scientists.

Next they will say chartreuse doesn't exist,and i will just die of chagrin !

Anyways, from another point of view, we could say that nothing exists.

Think about it, what we really see are just informations that are converted into electrochemical acitvity inside the brain and interpreted as reality. Same for other 4 senses.

So do any color exist or are they simply interpretations of the brain? And how does the brain convert all this electrochemical activity in what we call consciousness?

I think consciousness is what everything is really about. But that's my point of view.

As John Eccles, Nobel Prize winning neurophysicist already said: "I want you to know that there are no colours in the real world, there are no fragrances in the real world, that there’s no beauty and there’s no ugliness. Out there beyond the limits of our perceptual apparatus is the erratically ambiguous and ceaselessly flowing quantum soup. And we’re almost like magicians in that in the very act of perception, we take that quantum soup and we convert it into the experience of material reality in our ordinary everyday waking state of consciousness".

Edited by JayMark

Well, my daughter will be very upset, her favourite colour is pink! Try telling a 3 year old that pink dosnt exist.

I JUST HAVE A ONE QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU BRAINY PEOPLE.

I.E. DOES THE COLOR EXIST AT ALL? I MEAN ANY COLOR.. I THINK IT IS ALL RELATIVE TO THE INDIVIDUAL SENSOR AND PROCESSOR AND EXPERIENCE.. If we teach a young, that the RED is called Green..Then what will happen??????? Think about it!

If we teach a young, that the RED is called Green..Then what will happen??????? Think about it!

They will crash every car and/or bicycle they own?

I JUST HAVE A ONE QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU BRAINY PEOPLE.

I.E. DOES THE COLOR EXIST AT ALL? I MEAN ANY COLOR.. I THINK IT IS ALL RELATIVE TO THE INDIVIDUAL SENSOR AND PROCESSOR AND EXPERIENCE.. If we teach a young, that the RED is called Green..Then what will happen??????? Think about it!

Diffrent colors are simply photons of the visible light spectrum with diffrent wavelenghts. There is a few pure colors (specific wavelenght) and the rest is a combination of those.

So red (pure red), by difinition is light with a wavelenght of 700nm while green is of 530nm.

So if you tell a kid that red is green you are simply missleading him. Unless he's color blind, he'll see red the same way you do but will simply call it green.

Just like if I met you and told you my name is Biobobluebee while it is actually Poopoopeepee. You'll see me as I am etc. simply will be misslead about my name which has nothing to do with who I am as a human.

These a diffrence between what we see and how we describe/name it. No matter how you describe pure red, by definition it is always light with a 500nm wavelenght.

Hope it helps.

Edited by JayMark

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, maybe it doesn't exist "scientifacly" but what if pink isn't a colour but just the name? What if pink is the name of the mix between red and violet? Because think of the colours blue, yellow and red. They're the basic primary colours, but the mixes between them have names, e.g. the mix between yellow and blue is green, red and blue is purple, red and yellow makes orange and so on. And yes, pink is not in the official basic colour wheel, but purple and red is. So I think pink is just a name of a mix.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait a minute! I thought pink was a combination of red and white, not violet!