Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Iraqi teenagers stoned to death

__Kratos__

At least 90 Iraqi teenagers with "emo" appearances have been stoned to death by religious extremists in Baghdad in the past month after an inflammatory interior ministry statement dubbed it "devil worshiping", activists said.

Iraq's Moral Police released a chilling statement on the interior ministry's website condemning the "emo phenomenon" among Iraqi youth, disturbingly declaring its intent to "eliminate" the trend.

"The 'Emo phenomenon' or devil worshiping is being followed by the Moral Police who have the approval to eliminate [the phenomenon] as soon as possible since it's detrimentally affecting the society and becoming a danger," the statement read.

"They wear strange, tight clothes that have pictures on them such as skulls and use stationary that are shaped as skulls. They also wear rings on their noses and tongues, and do other strange activities," it continued.

More of the article here: Source

----------------------

They're doing what we all wish we could... :lol:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluffybunny

• hetrodoxly

• and-then

• S2F

But what about the hipsters? They're even worse. "My sect is Zaidi Islam. You've probably never heard of it."

But the killings seem limited to poor Shia in the south, and the Shiite Grand Ayatollah has condemned them.

Edited by Parsip

ElDorado is right, it is a savage thing to do. It's horrible. I do not like the "Emo culture", but to want to kill them? Hurt them?

These are not things an advanced race would do (I do not mean the race of whatever, I mean HUMAN race). I feel for the families and individuals hurt by these actions.

I usually don't get this way, but taking a life or making someone suffer for dressing a certain way just does not sit well with me. Yes, they are going against culture, yes, they are breaking certain people's religious ideals. Have they actually hurt someone by looking different? As someone who has been beaten severely in the past over being different, this disgusts me. But I am biased. I think of humanity as all valid.

"The 'Emo phenomenon' or devil worshiping is being followed by the Moral Police who have the approval to eliminate [the phenomenon] as soon as possible since it's detrimentally affecting the society and becoming a danger," the statement read.

The really sad part is that the extreme right would love to have their own version of the "moral police" here in the US; the things they went after would be different but the effect would be the same. When religion runs a country, this is the kind of stuff you can expect. Extremist in any religion will end up producing the same things as the taliban is today...only with different rules based on that religion.

The really sad part is that the extreme right would love to have their own version of the "moral police" here in the US; the things they went after would be different but the effect would be the same. When religion runs a country, this is the kind of stuff you can expect. Extremist in any religion will end up producing the same things as the taliban is today...only with different rules based on that religion.

You are wrong to put this on the far right. In the 80's Al Gore headed the senate committee on rock lyrics, inspired by a campaign being run by his wife's group the PMRC. Thier goal was the censoring of rock lyricks and the ban of rap. imho it is usually the "liberal" left that want's to control people, not the right.

You are wrong to put this on the far right. In the 80's Al Gore headed the senate committee on rock lyrics, inspired by a campaign being run by his wife's group the PMRC. Thier goal was the censoring of rock lyricks and the ban of rap. imho it is usually the "liberal" left that want's to control people, not the right.

The Christian Coalition of America disagrees with you...along with many of the groups just like it.

I hear this trope from time to time and just shake my head. It's like saying "The Christians are coming, the Christians are coming!" It's just silly. And frankly, more than a little biased against those of faith. What is the evidence that ANY Christian group would go to such an extreme to push the faith on another? Even the most "militant" Christian ideologue would never kill for such a senseless reason. Someday these people may get to see what true intolerance is about - right here in the US. And it won't be Christians doing the damage.

Army of God

Abortion Clinic Violence

American Coalition of Life Activists

The links could go on, on topics of the treatment of gays, etc. Extremists are extremists, be it taliban or a christian group willing to use to same tools of violence to get their way. The same goes for the Christian Right and their willingness to throw money into the political arena to get what they want in regards to laws and education.

I hear this trope from time to time and just shake my head. It's like saying "The Christians are coming, the Christians are coming!" It's just silly. And frankly, more than a little biased against those of faith. What is the evidence that ANY Christian group would go to such an extreme to push the faith on another? Even the most "militant" Christian ideologue would never kill for such a senseless reason. Someday these people may get to see what true intolerance is about - right here in the US. And it won't be Christians doing the damage.

Christians 'murder' other cultures all the time through missionary work. The culture 'murdered' is usually seen as being 'primitive', but a primitive lifestyle does not imply a primitive culture. There is no reason for this 'murder' except to impose Christianity.

That said, most Christians live in countries with strong foundations of civil rights, so I take the point you make, but please do not cast Christians in general as being unprejudiced. That varies with the individual.

Religious extremists stoning people to death for a hair cut? Is there anything they wont stone people to death for?

... Is there anything they wont stone people to death for?

Sure, for some infractions they cut your throat (and I'm not joking).

Sure, for some infractions they cut your throat (and I'm not joking).

Sad world we live in...

thats awful...thats about all i can say, pretty speechless about it.

This is so sad. Clearly there is an undercurrent in some of the youth that wants to rebel against the strict Islamic rule - this is what has come of it, complete repression. :cry:

Edited by libstaK

Christians 'murder' other cultures all the time through missionary work. The culture 'murdered' is usually seen as being 'primitive', but a primitive lifestyle does not imply a primitive culture. There is no reason for this 'murder' except to impose Christianity.

That said, most Christians live in countries with strong foundations of civil rights, so I take the point you make, but please do not cast Christians in general as being unprejudiced. That varies with the individual.

I agree. And I never said they couldn't be prejudiced or even violent in extreme cases. But the comment I was responding to was and is silly. The Taliban are ruthless killers who torture for cutting beards or listening to music. When people equate Christians with that kind of behavior they just come off looking ridiculous IMO. It's just an obvious indication of a twisted kind of bias against a religion they don't agree with.

Army of God

Abortion Clinic Violence

American Coalition of Life Activists

The links could go on, on topics of the treatment of gays, etc. Extremists are extremists, be it taliban or a christian group willing to use to same tools of violence to get their way. The same goes for the Christian Right and their willingness to throw money into the political arena to get what they want in regards to laws and education.

And in our system of politics why exactly is that an issue? I submit that you have an obvious bias against Christians. I have no problem with that but by making attempts to seriously compare the Christian Right to the Taliban you lose credibility and look silly doing it.

I agree. And I never said they couldn't be prejudiced or even violent in extreme cases. But the comment I was responding to was and is silly. The Taliban are ruthless killers who torture for cutting beards or listening to music. When people equate Christians with that kind of behavior they just come off looking ridiculous IMO. It's just an obvious indication of a twisted kind of bias against a religion they don't agree with.

And Christianity commits cultural genocide simply because other people don't believe in their version of the sky-pixie.

What is worse - killing a person or killing their culture?

And Christianity commits cultural genocide simply because other people don't believe in their version of the sky-pixie.

What is worse - killing a person or killing their culture?

Who are the Christians and what culture are they killing and how are they doing it?

You can't help yourself can you.

So what are you implying? because the extreme right would like to be "able" to do the same in the US this somehow justifies the killing of these kids?

[/b]

And in our system of politics why exactly is that an issue? I submit that you have an obvious bias against Christians. I have no problem with that but by making attempts to seriously compare the Christian Right to the Taliban you lose credibility and look silly doing it.

No he doesn't, he is stating facts.. And if stating facts is loosing credibility then something is wrong ... It compares when both sides who have extremists that do things to hurt others in the name of their faith, of course it compares .. It happens and has happened .. Facts should not be denied all because one is biased whit their own faith..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

You can't help yourself can you.

So what are you implying? because the extreme right would like to be "able" to do the same in the US this somehow justifies the killing of these kids?

Of course not. The point is that religions at the extreme do bad things. Regardless of the religion.

Of course not. The point is that religions at the extreme do bad things. Regardless of the religion.

Amen to that Fluffy. :yes:

----------------------

They're doing what we all wish we could... :lol:

You wish that you could target people whose appearances or (bizarre, but non-violent) activities bother you and stone them to death under the guise of 'devil worship'? Just for the record, I don't fall into this "we all" category.

I can understand an effort to take a lighthearted approach to things, and maybe I'm just taking this the wrong way, but I really think that laughing in response to this story is completely inappropriate.