Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. soldier fires on Afghan civilians

thedutchiedutch

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• and-then

• psyche101

• Leonardo

• tigger

True enough but since he is being tried here in the US I believe we should make the whole process as transparent as possible. Last summer a young woman in Florida was aquitted of killing her child after she had long since been convicted in the court of public opinion. If this soldier were acquitted or even given a life sentence there will be more chaos there. There is just no way to win.

Reflecting back, I would say you are most likely correct. Even if Afghanistan did find the ruling unjust, the process would be on a world stage for all to see, and then we could really tell if one party was being unjust. At least there would be a trail of some sort to see if the ruling was unjust or not. If I had to vote, I think it would be for your solution. As you say, there may be no way to win, but at least one can justify one's actions.

dont forget, we do not drink fosters, we only export that rubbish.

Indeed! In fact I do not think I could name a pub here that sells it. Personally I like a stout, but I tend to stand alone there on most occasions. I did find a pub in Molendinar that sells Duff though no joke! That is quite a draughty beer.

lol, i too have to laugh at the fact we eat the animals that are our national emblam. gotta love that humour. i havent eaten any roo, or emu, but have had croc. tastes a lot like calamari. quite nice.

I mentioned the other day to someone that the wreath is the herbs we cook them in :lol: I have tried croc too, there used to be a bakery on Hamilton Island that sold Crocodile pies. Not sure if they still do, had Croc soup too, that was very nice. I have tried roo, I do not like it much, it is a very gamey taste, and only Emu once, but it seemed OK. I was in Tweed Heads the weekend before last, they have an Emu products shop where you can buy all sorts of Emu products, including bagged mince. It is supposed to be good for one's cholesterol they claim.

ahhh, see. she has up-graded from the pouch to skippys' back.. next she'll be good enough to go on an emu (emooo). just has to watch out for the hoop-snakes and drop bears. not to mention those pesky bunyips.

Yes, I got her a saddle for her last birthday ;) She handles him well nowadays. My son is 10, I might start him on Emoo soon.

Not so many hoop snakes this summer, Drop Bears are a real worry these days up here in QLD, do you have this poster on the back door of your dunny door too?

300490_186191541458030_154663137944204_392165_390716456_n.jpeg

Edited by psyche101

You eat emus?

Say it ain't so!

Please.

Sorry mate, it is so! You only say that because you have not seen a drumstick yet! Wait till you try an Emu boiled Egg! Try and find an egg cup for that! India farms Emus as well. I am honestly not too sure about how that all works.

Link - Get some emu on your plate

Indian Emu Farm

Nov%2B2011%2B147.JPG

We farm Ostriches as well. Mostly for export - both Ostrich and Emu. I have heard that some Ostriches escaped captivity and now we have some feral ones. We have Feral Deer as well, but few hear about them.

Edited by psyche101

Hi Holmes

Sorry for the comments from some countrymen, I assure you this is not the general consensus.

We tend to use the term "prawn" as opposed to shrimp, all the tourism ads say shrimp, that always leaves me scratching my head. Do you lot in the US ever call shrimps prawns? I wonder if it is that the term Prawn is just not used regularly in the US.

And hunting knife - a must! I work in an office, I still carry a knife around, but a small pocket knife for opening deliveries. Mr Dundee would have quite a chuckle at my effort.

Roo meat you can now buy in the supermarket, and sausages too! Not for me, but it is supposed to be quite healthy. You can get Emu these days as well. We are indeed the only nation that eats it's national symbol!

But I admit, this is quite common, how I sent the kids to school this morning ;)

riding%2520kangaroos.jpeg

Maybe you can help me with some american inquiries?

"What state governs The Florida Keys?"

How long is the 7 mile bridge?

"Are the Amish in season?"

"How many miles of undiscovered caves are there?"

"When do they turn off the waterfalls at Yosemite National Park?"

"How come all of the war battles were fought in National Parks?"

:rofl:;)

Amazing how wide those oceans are!

lol, those are some funny questions.

Btw, we do call some crustaceans prawns in this country. When you go to a seafood place in the states, the menu usually says "shrimp", although I have seen some menus with both shrimp and prawns. There is a small difference between the two, I know that, but I just can't pinpoint what it is. I think it is that prawns are native to freshwater, while shrimp typically are from saltwater environments.

Edited by H.H. Holmes

Indeed! In fact I do not think I could name a pub here that sells it. Personally I like a stout, but I tend to stand alone there on most occasions. I did find a pub in Molendinar that sells Duff though no joke! That is quite a draughty beer.

I mentioned the other day to someone that the wreath is the herbs we cook them in :lol: I have tried croc too, there used to be a bakery on Hamilton Island that sold Crocodile pies. Not sure if they still do, had Croc soup too, that was very nice. I have tried roo, I do not like it much, it is a very gamey taste, and only Emu once, but it seemed OK. I was in Tweed Heads the weekend before last, they have an Emu products shop where you can buy all sorts of Emu products, including bagged mince. It is supposed to be good for one's cholesterol they claim.

Yes, I got her a saddle for her last birthday ;) She handles him well nowadays. My son is 10, I might start him on Emoo soon.

Not so many hoop snakes this summer, Drop Bears are a real worry these days up here in QLD, do you have this poster on the back door of your dunny door too?

300490_186191541458030_154663137944204_392165_390716456_n.jpeg

I'll never be able to look at a Koala the same again...ever... what the HELL is a "drop bear"?

lol, those are some funny questions.

:D Glad I could lighten the mood a little. I like to think our countrymen are natural friends.

Btw, we do call some crustaceans prawns in this country. When you go to a seafood place in the states, the menu usually says "shrimp", although I have seen some menus with both shrimp and prawns. There is a small difference between the two, I know that, but I just can't pinpoint what it is. I think it is that prawns are native to freshwater, while shrimp typically are from saltwater environments.

I found this over at Wiki

They (prawns) differ from other, similar crustaceans, such as Caridea (shrimp) and Stenopodidea (boxer shrimp) by the branching form of the gills and by the fact that they do not brood their eggs, but release them directly into the water.

I'll never be able to look at a Koala the same again...ever... what the HELL is a "drop bear"?

:D

There are some rumours that some convicts made up the stories to scare of their guards, but I do not know how true that is.

Wiki has an excellent description - quick detour, ahh -

A drop bear (or dropbear) is a fictitious Australian marsupial.[1] Drop bears are commonly said to be unusually large, vicious, carnivorous koalas (although the Koala is not a bear) that inhabit treetops and attack their prey by dropping onto their heads from above.[2] They are an example of local lore intended to frighten and confuse outsiders and amuse locals, similar to the jackalope, hoop snake, wild haggis, or snipe hunt.

It is often suggested that doing ridiculous things like having forks in the hair or Vegemite or toothpaste spread behind the ears will deter the creatures

LINK

This link is worth a look - DropBear Uncyclopedia

And then we have the hoop snakes, trip snakes and ear wax spiders. Similar to the US snipe hunt I believe. Always smear Vegemite behind your ears when trekking the Australian bush!

I found this over at Wiki

They (prawns) differ from other, similar crustaceans, such as Caridea (shrimp) and Stenopodidea (boxer shrimp) by the branching form of the gills and by the fact that they do not brood their eggs, but release them directly into the water.

We have a name for them around here...those big suckers. :lol:

:D

There are some rumours that some convicts made up the stories to scare of their guards, but I do not know how true that is.

Wiki has an excellent description - quick detour, ahh -

A drop bear (or dropbear) is a fictitious Australian marsupial.[1] Drop bears are commonly said to be unusually large, vicious, carnivorous koalas (although the Koala is not a bear) that inhabit treetops and attack their prey by dropping onto their heads from above.[2] They are an example of local lore intended to frighten and confuse outsiders and amuse locals, similar to the jackalope, hoop snake, wild haggis, or snipe hunt.

It is often suggested that doing ridiculous things like having forks in the hair or Vegemite or toothpaste spread behind the ears will deter the creatures

LINK

This link is worth a look - DropBear Uncyclopedia

And then we have the hoop snakes, trip snakes and ear wax spiders. Similar to the US snipe hunt I believe. Always smear Vegemite behind your ears when trekking the Australian bush!

I never realized how vital vegemite could be! :w00t: Thank you for the info...if ever I'm lucky enough to visit I will be a good sport and play along. No sense be labeled an arrogant yank :P

Roo meat ..*gags*

As for the story ,he claims he acted alone,and remembers none of it.

He will cry PTSD.His wife is saying he is not capable of this.

I am too tired to find links,google please.

The new info is hes a con man.

He was a stock broker in Ohio I believe,and he swindled an elderly couple out of their life savings.

He and his partner were ordered to pay 1.5 million usd in restitution.

Said elderly couple has yet to see a dime.He joined the army and fled the country before he was sentenced to jail,so yah...

That's why hes done 4 tours.If he comes back here,hes arrested.

We should not BE in Afghanistan.There is no justification for it.

If an Afghanie came to the USA,and shot up 16 Americans,would we give him back ?

No,we would crucify him and make an example of him ,right here.

Let them have him.Hes scum and I think he acted alone.Why would such a person take the blame for other people.He wouldn't.

Why should tax payers here pay for him to get medical care and 3 square meals.We shouldn't.

I do think the 4 tours have taken their toll on him,and he did probably snap,but he wouldn't be there at all,of he wasn't a crook back at home.

Huge fail.

Roo meat ..*gags*

He was a stock broker in Ohio I believe,and he swindled an elderly couple out of their life savings.

Said elderly couple has yet to see a dime.He joined the army and fled the country before he was sentenced to jail,so yah...

If an Afghanie came to the USA,and shot up 16 Americans,would we give him back ?

Let them have him.Hes scum and I think he acted alone.Why would such a person take the blame for other people.He wouldn't.

Why should tax payers here pay for him to get medical care and 3 square meals.We shouldn't.

I do think the 4 tours have taken their toll on him,and he did probably snap,but he wouldn't be there at all,of he wasn't a crook back at home.

Huge fail.

Yup. He is playing the insane card. Get a few years in the hospital, gets released and can not be arrested or charged for the fraud. Funny is that he got away with assault charges exactly the same way by not remembering it. Also it will be interresting to se how he and the loonatic from france will be senteced. Both killed inocent children and bot deserve the death penalty. We will see.

Anyone any info on the investigation. Tis all quiet on the newsfront here, with that French maniac hogging the headlines. (glad he's been caught)

Only this... but it's just lawyer-talk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17454316

Some news here: With a vid but it has an advert first (ggrr)

Afghanistan killings: 'no evidence' against US soldier Robert Bales – video

"John Henry Browne, the lawyer representing US army staff sergeant Robert Bales, says there is no forensic evidence to support allegations that his client killed 16 villagers in Afghanistan. Browne says his client cannot remember anything about the time when the crimes are alleged to have happened. Bales is detained at a US army facility in Kansas"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2012/mar/21/afghanistan-killings-us-soldier-robert-bales-video?newsfeed=true

Roo meat ..*gags*

Huge fail.

Everyone's life is eventually considered a "FAIL", including your's at some point. What this guy did prior to wearing the uniform (with honor) for a decade is not really the question here IMO. The question is why did he murder these people. And did he act alone? Handing over any US service person in a combat zone to people who essentially are the enemy would be catastrophic to morale in the services and it would also just be dishonorable.

Roo meat ..*gags*

Huge fail.

If he has charges to face in America, is that not even more reason to bring him back to the states? I just do not see what letting someone else kill him will accomplish. It is not like the countries have an excellent repoire` Personally, I think the harshest punishment would be to make him live with what he did. One stone, and all of that is gone.

The US presence is probably outside of the scope of this thread.

Everyone's life is eventually considered a "FAIL", including your's at some point. What this guy did prior to wearing the uniform (with honor) for a decade is not really the question here IMO. The question is why did he murder these people. And did he act alone? Handing over any US service person in a combat zone to people who essentially are the enemy would be catastrophic to morale in the services and it would also just be dishonorable.

Anyone who swindles an elderly couple out of 1.5 mil,was never honorable.

He donned a uniform,to keep from wearing prison orange.

I was a NYC paramedic for almost 17 years.Im a 911 first responder.

I have commendations from 3 NYC mayors.

I never swindled anyone,I never played the insanity card,and I really got to wear my uniform with honour.

So no,I never did fail quite like he did.

He did something that has made it all the harder for the USA to leave the war there,which ,now that I've said it,might be the point .

Hmmmm,......

If he has charges to face in America, is that not even more reason to bring him back to the states? I just do not see what letting someone else kill him will accomplish. It is not like the countries have an excellent repoire` Personally, I think the harshest punishment would be to make him live with what he did. One stone, and all of that is gone.

The US presence is probably outside of the scope of this thread.

They're saying hes in Kansas already.

He seems like someone without a conscience.I dont think it will keep him from sleeping at all.

Its just the more that comes out about him,the more I am disgusted.

I just have no patience for this drama anymore.

It makes the country look bad,and sets us up for retaliation.

Anyone who swindles an elderly couple out of 1.5 mil,was never honorable.

He donned a uniform,to keep from wearing prison orange.

I was a NYC paramedic for almost 17 years.Im a 911 first responder.

I have commendations from 3 NYC mayors.

I never swindled anyone,I never played the insanity card,and I really got to wear my uniform with honour.

So no,I never did fail quite like he did.

He did something that has made it all the harder for the USA to leave the war there,which ,now that I've said it,might be the point .

Hmmmm,......

I didn't intend that as a personal attack, sorry. What I was trying to say is that if we live long enough we all screw up and can make horrible mistakes with our lives. I would never under any circumstance turn a service person wearing our uniform over to such a justice system. I DO believe it would have been better perhaps to try him there if possible. But the truth is that he probably will only receive imprisonment and that would never be enough to satisfy them. So more soldiers may die as a result.

They're saying hes in Kansas already.

He seems like someone without a conscience.I dont think it will keep him from sleeping at all.

Its just the more that comes out about him,the more I am disgusted.

I just have no patience for this drama anymore.

It makes the country look bad,and sets us up for retaliation.

I really do not think he makes the country look bad, I think that is what the goal of the middle east is though. I think he just makes himself look bad, and the more that comes out about him, the less favourable light he seems to stand in. The first thing that came to my mind as a comparison was the Virginia Tech matter. The media will hype this to sell as many headlines as is possible while the market is there, I think it might be best to see wat happens when this hits the courtrooms. I have little doubt we have more to learn yet.

I agree with you that his actions are the worst that mankind has to offer, I just hope he can help us recognise this at an earlier stage to try and stop this from happening again. I wonder what could drive a man to kill children, the personal problems outlined by the media could certainly cause one to act out of character, but I would not have thought to this extent.

Edited by psyche101

Kinda fortunate that he has such a bad character, don't you think? (Makes it easier to crucify him)

There's something wrong about all of this, imo. I got same feeling when they "found" a terrorists passport laying on ground on 911. But hey, maybe am just getting as paranoid as the tin-foil hat brigade.

Edited by Eldorado