Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Dome Home' weathers storm

Nxt2Hvn

CHECK OUT THE LINK.. IT HAS A PICTURE OF THE "DOME HOME"! thumbsup.gif COOL

'Dome Home' weathers storm

Finding security in structure built to withstand hurricanes

REPORTER'S NOTEBOOK

By Kerry Sanders

Correspondent

NBC News

Updated: 9:39 a.m. ET Sept. 16, 2004PENSACOLA BEACH, Fla. - PENSACOLA BEACH, Fla. -

First light revealed that the "Dome Home" made it through the night and did exactly what it was designed to do -- survive even the worst hurricane.

advertisement

I’ve been hunkered down with an NBC News team in a “Dome Home” right on Pensacola Beach, directly in the path of Hurricane Ivan.

The shape of the home is what you might suspect from its name. It was designed by Mark Sigler to withstand winds up to 300 miles per hour and a direct hit from a hurricane.

FEMA, the federal agency, approved the plans, and even provided a small grant to the beachfront project.

The house sits on 16 pilings, driven 17 feet into the sand. It's a solid concrete house with 5 miles of steel reinforcements for added support.

The shape of the house, in conjunction with the pilings, was designed to allow the water to literally wash around the house, rather than knock it down. And that’s exactly what happened.

Full Story Link

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• poleshift

• AztecInca

• Fluffybunny

• Nxt2Hvn

I saw this house on the news last night...pretty good idea. I think that if insurance companies have their way that houses are going to have to be designed this way in order to still be on the coast and to get insured...

The way things are going, all house may have to end up being built like this, the weather is so unpredicatable and powerful, anything could happen. Its a very good idea though!

Domes ah?! I personally prefer pyramids but u know whatever!?

Oh, man. I live in Illinois, but I still want one of those! Well, that or a geodesic dome. (Those are freakin' awesome!) I saw a news report about the dome home a few weeks ago, and the inside is really snazzy.

I guess for now I can satisfy myself thinking "Someday, someday..."