Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Movie Request

Eldorado

Can anyone recommend any good non-english-speaking thrillers... please? I'm sick of the same old hollywood formula.

Have you seen The Host? :yes:

Yep. Am all out of movies.

I'd look for indie movies but you need to plough through too much garbage to find anything decent. imo

Edited by Eldorado

You should watch "kilometer 31" its a thriller in spanish. Thought it was really good.

Yep. Seen it a while ago.

Thanks anyway, guys.

• 4 weeks later...

You've probably seen it already but Oldboy

Also, another movie with the main protagonist in Oldboy, Min-sik Choi, I Saw The Devil.

Both amazing movie's.

Although not a foreign movie, but one of the best twist's in a movie i have seen for a long time, is The Tortured

Another film i watched recently with no expectations was the Australian flick,The Loved Ones and i was blown away.

Edited by danbell06
  • Like 1

You've probably seen it already but Oldboy

Also, another movie with the main protagonist in Oldboy, Min-sik Choi, I Saw The Devil.

Both amazing movie's.

Although not a foreign movie, but one of the best twist's in a movie i have seen for a long time, is The Tortured

Another film i watched recently with no expectations was the Australian flick,The Loved Ones and i was blown away.

Thanks, Danbell06 :)

Tried to watch Oldboy a couple of times but struggled to empathise with main characters. Had same problem with The Road.

I'll check out the others.. cheers!

(TV is sooooo bad at moment)

I ve watched both of them and yes it took a lot of effort to watch The Road.. I always used to give up but finally managed to watch it

• Like 1

You gotta see some asian films. Some of the best films I have ever seen came out of Asia. Here's an awesome list:

Oldboy (as someone mentioned)

Lady Vengeance (which is part of the Vengeance trilogy. Oldboy belongs to it too.)

A Tale of Two Sisters

Time (this movie is nuts)

A Bittersweet Life

Cello

Koma (some blood)

Diary (also known as Mon Seung)

Re-Cycle

The Eye (Gin Gwai)

The Eye 2 (Gin Gwai-2 the original Eyes not American remakes)

Shutter (original)

Premonition

Suicide Club (cult classic in Japan. Has an interesting message at the end. Warning: bloody movie)

Noriko's Dinner table (sequel to suicide club. I found it really interesting.)

Tomie movies (based off of Mangas by horror master Junji Ito. Old cult classics)

Pulse (Kairo. Original)

Audition (bloody towards end)

Anywho, there is a small list to get you started :tu: . Just so you know most of those are horror thrillers but I usually watch movie without blood and gore since I think it's unnecessary. Only the ones noted are bloody but are worth enduring for the story.

Happy watching!

Edited by KNash
  • Like 1

Have you seen 'Time crimes'

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Shutter has one of the scariest endings to a film I've ever seen. So uncomfortable after seeing that.

• Like 1

Eyes Without A Face

Onibaba

Spoorloos (The Vanishing)

Memories of Murder

• Like 1

Many thanks to all! :nw:

Can't complain I got nothing to watch now, can I? LOL

CHEERS!

Can anyone recommend any good non-english-speaking thrillers... please? I'm sick of the same old hollywood formula.

Last night I watched a movie called, "The sorcerer and the white snake" it stars Jet Li. It was a sorta corny fairytale story, but I quite enjoyed it. I like fantasy movies which take you away from reality for a bit.

Last night I watched a movie called, "The sorcerer and the white snake" it stars Jet Li. It was a sorta corny fairytale story, but I quite enjoyed it. I like fantasy movies which take you away from reality for a bit.

Love fantasy... but ... Jet Li. Hmm

Does it include fight scenes that look like a dance?

:cry:

Last movie that took me to a different place was Sin City. Was totally engrossed. (NO! Not just because of Jessica.. lol)

Edited by Eldorado

Love fantasy... but ... Jet Li. Hmm

Does it include fight scenes that look like a dance?

lol

Yes!! It is a cool concept though.

Meh. I like "real" fights. Heavy ashtray to the nose, total mayhem etc. lol

• Like 1

Walkabout (Aussie Film)

Ten Canoes (Aussie Film)

Not so much action, but I think you will find they are different to the Hollywood mold, and not a bad view IMHO.

I just recently heard there was a Roswell tele-movie, I am going to have to see that.

Walkabout (Aussie Film)

Ten Canoes (Aussie Film)

Not so much action, but I think you will find they are different to the Hollywood mold, and not a bad view IMHO.

I just recently heard there was a Roswell tele-movie, I am going to have to see that.

Walkabout with Jenny Agutter? From 19-canteen? (first time I ever saw a naked, decent lookin lass on tv... woot woo!)

Had to read the book at school... was grim. :(

:)

Walkabout with Jenny Agutter? From 19-canteen? (first time I ever saw a naked, decent lookin lass on tv... woot woo!)

Had to read the book at school... was grim. :(

:)

That's the one! LOL, it was the same for me too. Full frontal nudity for the first time, although I had seen Goldie Hawn's butt in Butterflies are free beforehand.

But chase down Ten Canoes, I thought it was a great film. Very much off the Hollywood beaten track. There are quite a few Aussie films that are a bit different. Breaker Morrant, Romper Stomper, Shine, we have some good talent down under. Still have not got to that Roswell movie yet.

agutter2-sized.jpg

Edited by psyche101

That's the one! LOL, it was the same for me too. Full frontal nudity for the first time, although I had seen Goldie Hawn's butt in Butterflies are free beforehand.

But chase down Ten Canoes, I thought it was a great film. Very much off the Hollywood beaten track. There are quite a few Aussie films that are a bit different. Breaker Morrant, Romper Stomper, Shine, we have some good talent down under.

I've seen all of those, mate! Who do you think Oz sell their TV shows and movies to? Yep... us, the Yanks and Canucks... i.e. the only folk who can understand what the hell you're talking about.

I still pine for Skippy, and The Sullivans!

I'll store Ten Canoes in my mental movie database... BBC4 is good for showing movies of that type.

Thank you! :)

(I'm sure I watched a series back in the early 90' that was called Blue Murder. A TV cop thriller. It was Aussie and it was excellent. But I was a real heavy drinker back then...

Can you recall this series?)

Meh. I like "real" fights. Heavy ashtray to the nose, total mayhem etc. lol

If you havent already, see if you can get your hands on;

The Tournament - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471041/

and

The Condemned - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443473/

Both have 'total mayhem' involved :)

Edited by danbell06