Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious foam causing hog farms to explode

Still Waters

Scientists are baffled by an expanding foam that is growing on manure pits and causing entire hog farms to explode.

Six farms have blown up since 2009 - killing thousands of animals - after methane trapped inside the unidentified foam caught a spark.

And there's no stopping it: the foam has now started growing on one in four farms across the Midwest.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayMark

• Oppono Astos

• Still Waters

• and-then

If that weren't so disgusting it would actually be funny.... OH MY.....exploding Hog Farms. Can you imagine being a neighbor near such a stench?

I must be missing something, how are scientists baffled when the same article explains what is causing the foam and subsequent explosions - ie methane?

With a pig farm @ 1.5km away I guess I may disappear any s

Ummmm,can't methane be used in lieu of gasoline ?

This stuff could be turned into fuel I'm betting,and no one is thinking this is the answer to all our problems,or ....its being ignored because Goldman Sachs has to rape us some more at the gas station .

Holy crap ,is all i can say .

Ummmm,can't methane be used in lieu of gasoline ?

This stuff could be turned into fuel I'm betting,and no one is thinking this is the answer to all our problems,or ....its being ignored because Goldman Sachs has to rape us some more at the gas station .

Holy crap ,is all i can say .

Yes!

Methane can be used as a fuel. It pollutes less and weight-for-weight contains more energy than gasoline/diesel. Gasoline has an energy value of about 47.3 MJ/kg and methane about 55.5 MJ/kg.

Methane has a much higher global warming potential that CO2 so burning it, despite what it seems, will diminish the risks associated with global warming. Gasoline will form about 1.21 m3 of CO2 per burned liter compared to 0.59 m3 of CO2 per liter for methane (liquid).

I think methane should be used as an alternative fuel (in some cases) but at the same time it is imperative that we fully develop clean energy sources.

There is a farmer here in Québec that uses cow poop to produce methane via an anaerobic digester. It is then used to power a generator which makes electricity. He has enough to supply 500 houses and his house/farm. All that with "only" 1500 cows. So not only is he helping the environment, he makes a crap load of money as well with it.

I really encourage the production of biomethane from natural sources. Not doing it would be simply letting it into the atmosphere anyways.

Good fuel, just not enough of it

But why is the poop foaming?

Eta: I also live in pork county, porker town. Work in feed/grain, never heard of this foam.

Edited by Framling

What if your bedroom is a pig sty does that mean I will exploded? :o

What if your bedroom is a pig sty does that mean I will exploded? :o

No doubt about it.

If I were you, I'd pig out and eat them before it happens.

Or simply let them explode while you take cover. Then you could just pick up the remnants and cook them.

Whatever you consider non-edible could be used to feed more pigs until they explode and so on.

See? There's always a positive issue out of everything.