Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mindblowing video shot

BiffSplitkins

Absolutely mindblowing video shot from the Space Shuttle during launch

Drop whatever you're doing and watch this. NASA has released videos shot from onboard the Space Shuttle's Solid Rocket Boosters in the past, but you've never seen one prepared as masterfully as this.

For one thing, the footage was shot in high definition, so the image is exceptionally clear.But what puts this video head and shoulders above most other rocketcams is the sound. The audio has been remastered by the folks over at Skywalker Sound (yes, that Skywalker Sound), and the final product is nothing short of incredible.

arrow3.gifRead more...

This is absolutely amazing! One of the coolest things I've ever seen. :tu:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChrLzs

• BiffSplitkins

• MedicTJ

• Czero 101

THAT was awesome!!!!!! Thanks Biff

THAT was awesome!!!!!! Thanks Biff

You are very welcome. The audio on that is really cool as well.

Thanks Bif........Top 10 best video ever here !

Awesome stuff :yes:

Wow pretty awesome,especially the bit when the chutes deployed.

A true testament to our Space program ! Loved it ! Thanks Biff! :tu:

My recommendation for this video is 720HD - full screen and headphones. :tu:

That was amazing!!! Thanks for posting this.

I bet the sound was insanely screechy and unbearable before they mastered it. lol

Well, I only have the obvious comments... So now 854x480 qualifies at NASA as "ultra high quality". So what would be "high quality"? 640x480? You can't even watch this properly on a 1920p HDTV, let alone if I happen to have a TV set like the one on youtube.com/watch?v=9U7e_quvkPQ with a 7680x4320 resolution, this video will take up a whole 1%(!) of the screen. Ultra high quality? Maybe at NASA.

More to the point, this video points out how small of a piece of dust particle we live on, how unique it is, how vulnerable it is, and how easy it can be to destroy its atmosphere irrevocably with pollution in a few decades. And if you think about how a single species managed to divide it up into political autonomies called countries and suckering free human beings into becoming slave-minded "patriots" just because they happened to be born within the boundaries of one artificially made up country or another, having them move to another land and kill their brothers and sisters there just because they were born elsewhere... I just don't get it. One Planet. One species. One harmonious eco-system. And we're ruining it all because of arrogance and self-induced feelings of superiority over one another and nature itself. That's what I call evolution.

P.S.: Hey, NASA, I don't want to watch this full-screen on one of these: http://www.zdsparts.com/images/ibm5151.jpg I want to watch it full-screen on one of these: http://www.intelligenceunited.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/alienware-arc-monitor.jpg But thanks for the effort!

Edited by Rolci

Well at least Saru liked it enough to feature it on the front page of UM this morning. :)

Well at least Saru liked it enough to feature it on the front page of UM this morning. :)

Yes top video, but could some one please tell me where the stars are, their doesn`t seem to be any.

This is absolutely amazing! One of the coolest things I've ever seen. :tu:

Biff, I am floored. This is one of the most if not the most amazing vid I have ever seen. Thank you much.

Yes top video, but could some one please tell me where the stars are, their doesn`t seem to be any.

Let the conpiracy begin, LOL

'WOW' I wonder how it would look in 3D.

Well, I only have the obvious comments... So now 854x480 qualifies at NASA as "ultra high quality". So what would be "high quality"? 640x480? You can't even watch this properly on a 1920p HDTV, let alone if I happen to have a TV set like the one on youtube.com/watch?v=9U7e_quvkPQ with a 7680x4320 resolution, this video will take up a whole 1%(!) of the screen. Ultra high quality? Maybe at NASA.

More to the point, this video points out how small of a piece of dust particle we live on, how unique it is, how vulnerable it is, and how easy it can be to destroy its atmosphere irrevocably with pollution in a few decades. And if you think about how a single species managed to divide it up into political autonomies called countries and suckering free human beings into becoming slave-minded "patriots" just because they happened to be born within the boundaries of one artificially made up country or another, having them move to another land and kill their brothers and sisters there just because they were born elsewhere... I just don't get it. One Planet. One species. One harmonious eco-system. And we're ruining it all because of arrogance and self-induced feelings of superiority over one another and nature itself. That's what I call evolution.

P.S.: Hey, NASA, I don't want to watch this full-screen on one of these: http://www.zdsparts.com/images/ibm5151.jpg I want to watch it full-screen on one of these: http://www.intelligenceunited.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/alienware-arc-monitor.jpg But thanks for the effort!

04%20cool%20story%20bro.jpg

Video.....AWESOME

But enhanced sound? It's more than enhanced sound. There are sounds that are happening in the video (especially pre-launch) that are as fake as it gets.

If you're gonna try and embellish something, don't rip off the same sounds that Tom Scholtz used on the first three Boston albums with a Hammond B3 and a HELLUVA lot more ingenuity than these idiots did.

Wonderful footage - what a ride! Thanks for sharing this..

MedicTJ, at exactly what point in the 14 seconds of pre-launch footage in the video have you identified these 'ripped off' sounds? And on what tracks and times do they appear on which Boston albums? (It's spelled Scholz, by the way...)

Rolci, did you read about where this has come from? That it's a sneak preview? Why on earth should they release higher resolution footage until they are ready? Plus it may be destined for commercial release..

Or did you just want to introduce an offtopic political rant and tell us all about your undoubtedly huge tv?

Plus it may be destined for commercial release..

When that happens I sure hope they release an IMAX version. That would be epic!

Incredible video Biff. I enjoyed watching that, great find!.....Thank you :tu:

Wonderful footage - what a ride! Thanks for sharing this..

MedicTJ, at exactly what point in the 14 seconds of pre-launch footage in the video have you identified these 'ripped off' sounds? And on what tracks and times do they appear on which Boston albums? (It's spelled Scholz, by the way...)

Rolci, did you read about where this has come from? That it's a sneak preview? Why on earth should they release higher resolution footage until they are ready? Plus it may be destined for commercial release..

Or did you just want to introduce an offtopic political rant and tell us all about your undoubtedly huge tv?

I meant that they ripped off the idea. The sounds at the beginning of the video....that is CLEARLY straight from a synth or keyboard. Also, I'd like to find out how they get sound at the peak of the flight......when there's no atmosphere. You need air and pressure to hear sound. But, miraculously, it's there.

I sent the link to a friend of mine who is a professional audio engineer (something I'm studying as well) and he nearly fell out of his chair laughing at the notion that the sound is authentic.

Forgive the expression, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to hear that the majority of the "sound" in the video is manufactured, not live.

But again, cool video.

I meant that they ripped off the idea. The sounds at the beginning of the video....that is CLEARLY straight from a synth or keyboard.

Then why bring up some obscure Boston tracks? And did you not read the question? You made the claim, so WHEN on the video do you claim to hear synthesized sounds? It's NOT a difficult question, and there are only ~14 seconds of pre-launch footage.

Also, I'd like to find out how they get sound at the peak of the flight......when there's no atmosphere. You need air and pressure to hear sound.

???

Wrong - you need any MEDIUM to transmit sound. Air works, and so does METAL and other construction materials. What is the booster made of, and the microphone attached to?

But, miraculously, it's there.

There is no miracle, just very basic physics and common sense.

I sent the link to a friend of mine who is a professional audio engineer (something I'm studying as well) and he nearly fell out of his chair laughing at the notion that the sound is authentic.

O rly? Please invite him over to discuss. I am currently nearly falling out of my chair considering the notion that you think anyone believes you did any such thing.

Forgive the expression, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to hear that the majority of the "sound" in the video is manufactured, not live.

More correctly, it just takes someone with a smattering of education on sound waves to realise that you didn't quite think this through...