Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turkey Threatens To Invade Northern Syria

bouncer

"The warning came as the Arab Red Crescent predicted that as many as 500,000 Syrian civilians could seek refuge in Turkey as government forces widened an offensive in the border province of Idlib, a stronghold of the rebel Free Syrian Army.

Turkey has said in the past that a fresh surge of refugees would make it necessary to create a safe area within Syrian territory to protect civilians.

Besir Atalay, Turkey's deputy prime minister, on Thursday said the move, which was considered but rejected last year, was again being contemplated".

Thats is of course... according to this article anyways

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/9146900/Turkey-threatens-military-incursion-into-northern-Syria-as-refugees-flee-across-its-borders.html

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• and-then

• MichaelW

• Black Red Devil

• Yamato

"The warning came as the Arab Red Crescent predicted that as many as 500,000 Syrian civilians could seek refuge in Turkey as government forces widened an offensive in the border province of Idlib, a stronghold of the rebel Free Syrian Army.

Turkey has said in the past that a fresh surge of refugees would make it necessary to create a safe area within Syrian territory to protect civilians.

Besir Atalay, Turkey's deputy prime minister, on Thursday said the move, which was considered but rejected last year, was again being contemplated".

Thats is of course... according to this article anyways

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/9146900/Turkey-threatens-military-incursion-into-northern-Syria-as-refugees-flee-across-its-borders.html

It seems like a reasonable solution. But ti also would give a "sanctuary" to Assad's enemies. If Turkey seriously tries to impose this then they will be at war with Syria. And I don't believe Erdog has the cajones for a real war. He's just a poser who likes to browbeat civilized neighbors like Israel for his image with the Muslims. This impotence will show him for the fake Caliph wannabe that he is... buh bye Erdogan.

It depends on whether or not Turkey has the facilities to host half a million refugees in its border provinces. But this is finally some good warmongering on the part of the Turkish government. It will put pressure on the Syrian government to do something about halting hostilities otherwise face a superior Turkish Armed Forces intervention. Something which the West will actually want this time.

is this the same Turkey that uncle sam BUYS cooperation from?

[/qu

The very same. But I think this little adventure is all Erdog's doing. He is so interested in being the new Caliph that he is becoming adventuresome. I hope he can make a difference for those suffering people but I do not think he would actually go to war for them. And at this point the whole world needs to be very careful with the mad man in Damascus. If he launches chemical scuds on TelAviv he starts a regional war that could go global. Even Kofi Annan is warning the council after speaking with Assad that it is well to tread lightly here.

No that would be the Turkey that the US has an alliance with through NATO. They buy Turkish cooperation as much as they buy Dutch cooperation.

Anyway this seems to have been coming for a while now as Turkey is really unhappy with how Syria has been handling things. Time will tell if their words actually result in action.

It depends on whether or not Turkey has the facilities to host half a million refugees in its border provinces. But this is finally some good warmongering on the part of the Turkish government. It will put pressure on the Syrian government to do something about halting hostilities otherwise face a superior Turkish Armed Forces intervention. Something which the West will actually want this time.

It depends on whether they're willing to allocate resources necessary to provide those facilities. A refugee crisis on one's own borders is hardly warmongering.

And at this point the whole world needs to be very careful with the mad man in Damascus. If he launches chemical scuds on TelAviv he starts a regional war that could go global.

Does anything gone wrong in the Middle East turn into another delusion attack on Israel? Paranoia will destroy ya.

No that would be the Turkey that the US has an alliance with through NATO. They buy Turkish cooperation as much as they buy Dutch cooperation.

Anyway this seems to have been coming for a while now as Turkey is really unhappy with how Syria has been handling things. Time will tell if their words actually result in action.

Bad jokes like NATO don't excuse the fact that Turkey is paid for, they only explain how in part. If Turkey can find a way to use this crisis as a false pretense to smash the Kurds, then there's a non-zero chance they'll take action.

Does anything gone wrong in the Middle East turn into another delusion attack on Israel? Paranoia will destroy ya.

I agree that paranoia will destroy ya. I was just rephrasing what Assad said with his own mouth. He's on record saying he'll destroy TelAviv and set the whole region on fire if anyone tries to remove him from power. You know, the same rhetoric we can expect from the mullahs day 2 after Iran tests the bomb. Get with the program son... "it stops being funny when it starts being you" (Stephen King)

Bad jokes like NATO don't excuse the fact that Turkey is paid for, they only explain how in part. If Turkey can find a way to use this crisis as a false pretense to smash the Kurds, then there's a non-zero chance they'll take action.

They can try but I think they'd be better off leaving that particular dog sleeping. The Kurds are only about 9% of the population anyway. To be effective Turkey would have to work with Iraq and Iran to make a dent in that population. Isn't it funny how much these nations decry the land stolen from the "Palestinians" yet fail to see the same condition of the Kurdish minority in four separate countries? I guess it all depends on who's land got "stolen".

I agree that paranoia will destroy ya. I was just rephrasing what Assad said with his own mouth. He's on record saying he'll destroy TelAviv and set the whole region on fire if anyone tries to remove him from power. You know, the same rhetoric we can expect from the mullahs day 2 after Iran tests the bomb. Get with the program son... "it stops being funny when it starts being you" (Stephen King)

do you have a link for that quote... been looking for it

Does this quote exist on the internet? Who is the source?

Not sure if the link actually exists acid. Been searching for it, and while I found a lot of site quoting it (granted they were almost entirely Zionistic, or Endtimes Fundamentalist Christian sites) none of them has any links tot eh original story. Nor is it being picked up by any major news source. Also the articles I found were from few months ago. So it appears to have just been the usual "throw red meat to the Fundy base" that all the leaders of that region engage in; if it did in fact ever actually occur.

Not sure if the link actually exists acid. Been searching for it, and while I found a lot of site quoting it (granted they were almost entirely Zionistic, or Endtimes Fundamentalist Christian sites) none of them has any links tot eh original story. Nor is it being picked up by any major news source. Also the articles I found were from few months ago. So it appears to have just been the usual "throw red meat to the Fundy base" that all the leaders of that region engage in; if it did in fact ever actually occur.

Thanks for the reply Mr. Witty. I'm sure 'and then' came to the same conclusion as well but has declined the offer to reply with a link. I'll mention, he defines himself openly here as a 'christian-zionist'... Sometimes an individual's faith blinds them from accepting the truth. It destroys all credibility in their pursuit for their magical god.

Edited by acidhead

Thanks for the reply Mr. Witty. I'm sure 'and then' came to the same conclusion as well but has declined the offer to reply with a link. I'll mention, he defines himself openly here as a 'christian-zionist'... Sometimes an individual's faith blinds them from accepting the truth. It destroys all credibility in their pursuit for their magical god.

I'm sure that a mere Turkish publication will never satisfy someone of such a scholarly bent but here it is anyway.

http://www.todayszaman.com/newsDetail_getNewsById.action?newsId=258900

I am indeed a Christian-Zionist. Proud to be so. It sure beats being a jaded jackanape. :w00t:

It depends on whether they're willing to allocate resources necessary to provide those facilities. A refugee crisis on one's own borders is hardly warmongering.

The warmongering was coming from Ankara not Damascus. However, the Turkish government is getting very concerned about the refugees. And I don't think it is the willingness to provide the required facilities but whether the Turkish government is actually able to. Half a million may be managable but if millions start streaming over the borders, is Ankara capable of handling them?

Although I am surprised that they aren't backing Damascus to prevent this sort of thing happening like China is with North Korea.

The warmongering was coming from Ankara not Damascus. However, the Turkish government is getting very concerned about the refugees. And I don't think it is the willingness to provide the required facilities but whether the Turkish government is actually able to. Half a million may be managable but if millions start streaming over the borders, is Ankara capable of handling them?

Although I am surprised that they aren't backing Damascus to prevent this sort of thing happening like China is with North Korea.

I think they don't really want to be involved. The conflict is becoming a civil war on their doorstep and it's bound to bleed over and cost them in many ways. The twin booms yesterday have "alqueda" written all over them. The whole country looks to be a modern "Lebanon". Except for the madman with the chem/bio missiles.

Preventing the need to have to handle such an influx of refugees is hardly warmongering.

Preventing the need to have to handle such an influx of refugees is hardly warmongering.

Yes it is. If you threaten to delcare war on someone, you're warmongering. Ankara's decided that seeing as no one will support them against Cyprus, they might as well try it against Damascus.

Besides, Turkey is getting what it wants through the rebels anyway seeing as a large influx of the weapons they use come from Turkey.

Yes it is. If you threaten to delcare war on someone, you're warmongering. Ankara's decided that seeing as no one will support them against Cyprus, they might as well try it against Damascus.

Besides, Turkey is getting what it wants through the rebels anyway seeing as a large influx of the weapons they use come from Turkey.

No it's not

For some reason, when I read this, I thought you were making reference to an actual turkey. That thought made me laugh. :lol:

Edit: It is still very early.

Edited by Alienated Being

For some reason, when I read this, I thought you were making reference to an actual turkey. That thought made me laugh. :lol:

Edit: It is still very early.

But getting later all the time. Civil war seems to be underway and the suffering innocents will be looking for anywhere to flee to. Unless the FSA can actually capture and defend a portion of the country as in Libya, the only place they'll have to go is Turkey or Lebanon. Israel would help but that won't happen. If Assad sees himself losing power he will start a regional war. HE will not go quietly.

If you can't understand the difference between defending your own borders (which may require going to war and not just threatening to) and war mongering, then you'd have to not know that the war is already started. Neocon/Zionists never could understand the difference between offense and defense. It's all purposefully blurred together in some cute little cliche they heard a politician use on TV and now they're all military experts just for hearing it.

Turkey is already at war with "the rebels" on the other side of its border. It's just another example of blowback from the war in Iraq destabilizing the region and no, instability, perpetual war, or an independent Kurdistan is not what Turkey wants. Syria provides even more instability on Turkey's border than they had already, and Turkey would have no interest in going to war against Syrian rebels if they were believed friendly to their Kurdish counterparts, who both share a very common goal of independence and a very common tactic of armed resistance and a very common geography as next door neighbors.