Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

List of examples of evolution

Magicjax

I just thought we could start a list rather then a discussion. A list of things that basically say. "Here are examples and discoveries that support the existence of evolution". For the record I'm not sure what the proper branch of evolution I'm reffering to here is called but it's the kind of evolution that's most discussed in this section of UM. You know, the natural selection, living creatures slowly changing over time, having common ancestors with chimpanzees, etc…

The reason I thought this might be a good idea is so we can share reasons why we do believe that evolution does exist and share examples of why. What convinced us that this discovery about our world is accurate and worth believing to be a sound discovery. A way of saying these are some of the examples that has convinced me that evolution does and has taken place with living things on this planet.

Here's a couple that come to mind right off the bat for me.

About 17% of the human population is left-handed. The same is true of chimpanzees and gorillas.

Whales have all the bones of a hand including fingers in their flippers.

A rodent that lives in a hot climate such as a desert has a light colored underside to combats heat. A same species in a cooler climate will have a darker belly.

Edited by Magicjax

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CommunitarianKevin

• None of the above

• Parsip

• Magicjax

Is it true that the Theory of evolution says that evolutionary mechanisms kick in when species face certain natural and environmental pressures in order to survive?

There are enough discussions about evolution here on UM that answer that question. I really hope this will be more of a list of examples of things that back the evolution theory (and please, let's not crowd this with another discussion about the definition of scientific theory again. :) ).

But the answer is yes. But it's much more complexed then that. How I understand it is this. Sticking with my rodent example in the OP. Imagine the rodent had a litter of 3. One of which has a lighter colored underside and it gave an advantage in the new hotter climate (or the climate there in became hotter over time). This off spring has this advantage over the other two. As a result it'll likely be healthier. Which gives it a better chance to create its own off springs. This trait will likely be passed on to it's off spring. The process continues. Eventually a large portion if the population of the species has this trait. I know that's very simplified but that's one of the processes I understand to occur. And it's why i added to the list.

Edited by Magicjax

OP, you have to realise that the reason creationists and other fact deniers don't already have this information is deliberate. They aren't just missing the facts, they are not looking at the evidence from a logical or scientific perspective. No evidence would change their mind because their faith based perspective isn't underpinned by any evidence in the first place.

For any creationist that wants to de-bunk the total fallacy that is creationism, it's a simple as this:

Let me google that for you

So ask yourself why they don't use this method as a starting point for checking the facts of evolution?

Our understanding of evolutionary biology, genetics, paleontology, geology and other sciences have combined to give us a remarkable and comprehensive understanding of life and our place in the universe.

For me and many people this is possibly the greatest achievement that mankind has ever made.

Edited by Atlantia

I think you confuse natural selection with evolution. A very common mistake, it seems. Not that I'm a creationist (or evolutionist).

I think you confuse natural selection with evolution. A very common mistake, it seems. Not that I'm a creationist (or evolutionist).

I always thought that natural selection was the cause for the evolution of species, but maybe I am mistaken? :unsure2:

I always thought that natural selection was the cause for the evolution of species, but maybe I am mistaken? :unsure2:

You're not.

Our almost unuseable muscles in our ears, that in ancient times moved like a dog or cats to determine sound location. Our wisdom teeth that used to be what we needed to chew more vegetable matter. Our canines that we needed to aid in the intake of animal flesh. Our spleen which was used to digest the amount of vegetable matter we ate which is even now slowly vanishing out of the human race(some are born without it). Our tails that curl into our body which we no longer need. The dormant webbing in our fingers and toes that randomly and rarely come out. The muscles that make our noses move to help determine the direction of scent in our ancient ancestors. The second sideways eyelids we have that used to help shield our eyes from debree, but is all but gone now. The goosebumps we get when cold or angry that was used to make our ancestors look bigger causing our hairs to stand on end, similar to a cat or a dog. The dormant coming out at times causing people to be fully covered in fur. All the cancers and diseases being dormant in our DNA from our ancestors contracting them and therefore being part of our evolution, that wait for a catalyst to come out. Those were just off the top of my head, but I think I got almost all of them.

Oh yeah, and the mutation of lactose tolerancy. People are naturally lactose intolerant, tolerancy is a mutation.

Hopefully this helps in getting this thread back to what the OP intended it to be.

Cats and dolphins have inactivated genes which code for "sweet" taste receptors. They don't taste things as sweet and don't prefer sugars because their diets are made up entirely of meat.

Meiliken, I think you meant to say the appendix, not the spleen.

Whales have pelvic bones.

Lenski's experiment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_long-term_evolution_experiment

By the way this experiment disproves Behe's famed "irreducible complexity" which states some structures are too complex to evolved naturally. This experiment supports the fact that it can happen. And this experiment is 100% observable.

Edited by HuttonEtAl

Lets all bear in mind that 'creationism' is only a minority view held by a few Christian, Muslim fundamentalists etc.

If it wasn't for the fact that the centre of fundamentalist Christianity happens to be the vocal 'bible belt' in the USA, creationism would get very little attention beyond it's extremist believers.

Let's not forget that most mainstream Christian faiths accept Evolutionary biology verbatim and simply 'work it into' their belief system, usually by making evolution a tool of creation. As for that matter do most other religions.

Charles Darwin to receive apology from the Church of England for rejecting evolution.

Creationists would like to pretend that somehow they represent Christianity as a whole and the argument is simply 'Christains/Creationists' versus godless atheists.

It's just not true.

The truth is that even amongst Christians, creationists are in the decline.

It's just not worth debating.

CREATIONISM_sign.jpg

Edited by Atlantia

Lets all bear in mind that 'creationism' is only a minority view held by a few Christian, Muslim fundamentalists etc.

If it wasn't for the fact that the centre of fundamentalist Christianity happens to be the vocal 'bible belt' in the USA, creationism would get very little attention beyond it's extremist believers.

Let's not forget that most mainstream Christian faiths accept Evolutionary biology verbatim and simply 'work it into' their belief system, usually by making evolution a tool of creation. As for that matter do most other religions.

Charles Darwin to receive apology from the Church of England for rejecting evolution.

Creationists would like to pretend that somehow they represent Christianity as a whole and the argument is simply 'Christains/Creationists' versus godless atheists.

It's just not true.

The truth is that even amongst Christians, creationists are in the decline.

It's just not worth debating.

We all know this, or most of us do, but if someone wants to list examples or talk about it let them do so. I have learned that probably the majority of people that accept evolution do not properly understand it. Maybe someone can learn something or get questions answered in this thread.

We all know this, or most of us do, but if someone wants to list examples or talk about it let them do so. I have learned that probably the majority of people that accept evolution do not properly understand it. Maybe someone can learn something or get questions answered in this thread.

OK I'll play.

As an example of 'evolution' I'd like to cite the fact that a belief in 'literal creationism' is now a view held by a diminishing minority of people. In fact, creationists are a minority, even amongst Christians! Sounds like natural selection and survival of the fittest at work to me ;)

Seriously though, examples of evolution would be every living creature.

Evidence of the processes of evolution?

Wow, where do you start?

Normally 'creationists' want transitional fossils so we can start there. The Wiki page is quite fun.

Is it true that the Theory of evolution says that evolutionary mechanisms kick in when species face certain natural and environmental pressures in order to survive?

No.

Random mutations happen at a relatively constant rate. This rate varies by species. Environmental pressures do not cause more mutations. They may only present a situation in which a random mutation might provide an advantage.

Cats and dolphins have inactivated genes which code for "sweet" taste receptors. They don't taste things as sweet and don't prefer sugars because their diets are made up entirely of meat.

Meiliken, I think you meant to say the appendix, not the spleen.

Good Nietzsche quote.

How about "Faith: not wanting to know what is true."

CREATIONISM_sign.jpg

laugh.gif Too funny..... Sadly there are places like that for real... Ever watch some get angry and rant? They do that because they cannot get their heads around it all. and understand it..I have seen people do the same if they cannot open a box.. the temper comes out..ranting and all breaks loose tongue.gif

OK I'll play.

As an example of 'evolution' I'd like to cite the fact that a belief in 'literal creationism' is now a view held by a diminishing minority of people. In fact, creationists are a minority, even amongst Christians! Sounds like natural selection and survival of the fittest at work to me ;)

Seriously though, examples of evolution would be every living creature.

Evidence of the processes of evolution?

Wow, where do you start?

Normally 'creationists' want transitional fossils so we can start there. The Wiki page is quite fun.

You know a thought I have entertained but not researched is the possibility that religion (or that way of reasoning?) is a product of evolution. I mean I see it as a product of ignorance but the way the mind works. Some might think this has to do with what people are taught as kids but we had a speaker once that brought some light to me. He started as a hardcore Catholic. He then "converted" to Evangelical Protestantism, and then finally to New Atheism. He is very vocal about it and the books he recomended are bogus. It seems like his brain is predetermined to take an extreme vocal point of view. It's like he has blind faith in one thing and then into another and each time he knows it's true...until he realizes it is not.

I don't know...pure speculation but I think religion serves and evolutionary purpose...or the belief in religion has not managed to kill out the people that believe in it...

You know a thought I have entertained but not researched is the possibility that religion (or that way of reasoning?) is a product of evolution. I mean I see it as a product of ignorance but the way the mind works.

:rofl:

I came here expecting examples of evolution, but all I see is children rebelling against their Christian parents by insulting all Christians and religious people (and Americans too! Couldn't help but sneak in a dig at Americans, could you?).

I mean, I'm not even religious, but good heavens! No wonder people dislike radical militant atheists so much.

I came here expecting examples of evolution, but all I see is children rebelling against their Christian parents by insulting all Christians and religious people (and Americans too! Couldn't help but sneak in a dig at Americans, could you?).

I mean, I'm not even religious, but good heavens! No wonder people dislike radical militant atheists so much.

If you're a liar and I point it out, is it still an insult?

I am not a militant atheist. I am not an atheist at all. My parents were not hardcore Christians and did not force it on me. I am a supporter of religion and prefer Christians over atheists. And ripping on Americans? Lumping all Americans into 1 catagory is as ignorant as lumping all Christians, or atheists, or Muslims, or non-Americans into the same group. That's like saying all people from the Middle East strap bombs to themselves and blow up buildings. Grow up.

Edited by HuttonEtAl

Oh I see where you are upset...I meant to say "I see it as *not* a product of ignorance but the way the mind works..."

But it is too late for me to go back and edit it now...

Edited by HuttonEtAl

please delete this

Edited by HuttonEtAl

So why were you evolutionists throwing a fit a while ago and complaining about creationists? The thread is about evolution, but most posts are either anti-creationist ramblings or examples of natural selection.

So why were you evolutionists throwing a fit a while ago and complaining about creationists? The thread is about evolution, but most posts are either anti-creationist ramblings or examples of natural selection.

I never said anything anti-creationist...to the other, part of you post I refer you to the OP... "For the record I'm not sure what the proper branch of evolution I'm reffering to here is called but it's the kind of evolution that's most discussed in this section of UM. You know, the natural selection, living creatures slowly changing over time, having common ancestors with chimpanzees, etc…"

Edited by HuttonEtAl