Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Domestic life in 1950s Britain

Still Waters

Hi,I've never seen one of those for years,but until the "smoking ban",they used to still be in the local pubs,with only about 17 in the packet,for an inflated price,and no change given....

ha yeh I remember them packs, and I also remember, when I was about 5... a local cafe would sell literally anyone a ciggy for a penny. Thats how my sister started! I was to young then of course.

I didn't start smoking till I was six thankfully! :lol:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spud the mackem

• Still Waters

• Eldorado

• bouncer

Five Woodbine and a flagon of scrumpy.... between thirteen of us!

Come to think of it, times haven't changed that much. lol

Five Woodbine and a flagon of scrumpy.... between thirteen of us!

Come to think of it, times haven't changed that much. lol

woodbines!! Were they the filterless ones that always got a bit of baccy in your mouth and tasted awful?

yeh those were the days when a pack of smokes could last all week! I dont know if kids today pass one cigg around all their mates ..to have a drag... But we did, and if you got it last the red bit was always massive and the smoke too hot so it burned your mouth/throat!! ha!

Edited by bouncer

woodbines!! Were they the filterless ones that always got a bit of baccy in your mouth and tasted awful?

yeh those were the days when a pack of smokes could last all week! I dont know if kids today pass one cigg around all their mates ..to have a drag... But we did, and if you got it last the red bit was always massive and the smoke too hot so it burned your mouth/throat!! ha!

For all of my life anyway (I'm 58) American smokes always came in packs of 20... I do remember my parents (both smokers) would go to the commisary (Military Food Store) and buy cartons of cigs (10 or 12 packs I don't remember which) for $1...

There was a company called "Laredo" that made a cigarette making machine, it had pre-rolled up papers, filters, and a tin of tobacco, and a weird device for loading it all into the paper... (see attached drawing)... My parents would spend all afternoon making hundreds of really foul smelling smokes... My dad would experiment with pipe tobacco and finally gave up when he learned that it was more expensive to do it this way...

(the pic):

A: Where the paper tube is attached

B: A slot where the filter is loaded

C: For the tobacco

D: The "trigger"

Does anyone else remember these?

post-102111-0-34727300-1333030964_thumb.

For all of my life anyway (I'm 58) American smokes always came in packs of 20... I do remember my parents (both smokers) would go to the commisary (Military Food Store) and buy cartons of cigs (10 or 12 packs I don't remember which) for $1...

There was a company called "Laredo" that made a cigarette making machine, it had pre-rolled up papers, filters, and a tin of tobacco, and a weird device for loading it all into the paper... (see attached drawing)... My parents would spend all afternoon making hundreds of really foul smelling smokes... My dad would experiment with pipe tobacco and finally gave up when he learned that it was more expensive to do it this way...

(the pic):

A: Where the paper tube is attached

B: A slot where the filter is loaded

C: For the tobacco

D: The "trigger"

Does anyone else remember these?

Hiya Susieice,Yes I still have one somewhere in the junk cupboard ha ha,but the thing that most impressed me in the U.S was the Jukebox,we had seen nothing like it,and was facinated by the mechanism choosing the records..and of course your mob drive on the wrong side of the road,ha ha...the cars were massive in comparison with our little heaps of junk,but the folk were friendly where ever we went,and used to be interested in our "funny" accents ha ha....cheers

Hiya Susieice,Yes I still have one somewhere in the junk cupboard ha ha,but the thing that most impressed me in the U.S was the Jukebox,we had seen nothing like it,and was facinated by the mechanism choosing the records..and of course your mob drive on the wrong side of the road,ha ha...the cars were massive in comparison with our little heaps of junk,but the folk were friendly where ever we went,and used to be interested in our "funny" accents ha ha....cheers

No jukeboxes in the UK?? (I assume that's where you post from)... Wow... That surprises me...

I always assumed that they were an American invention (?) but I just assumed they were pretty much everywhere...

No jukeboxes in the UK?? (I assume that's where you post from)... Wow... That surprises me...

I always assumed that they were an American invention (?) but I just assumed they were pretty much everywhere...

Yep we got them a few months later,non left now its all digital,but I still prefer some of the "ancient" things like me,ha ha,Advanced old age is when you sit in a rocking chair,and cant get it started !!! cheers...

OMG. I remember listening to so many great British bands on the jukebox. The Dave Clark 5, Herman's Hermits, Chad and Jeremy, Dusty Springfield. So few mentioned. It was so good it was called the British Invasion over here. The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were just a small part of the music coming out of England at that time. It affected what I wore and how I thought. Such good memories. Thanks stm.

Edited by susieice

The last jukebox I saw was in an amusement arcade! I still have a record case full of singles (45's) and another two cases of LP's.

Now this is going back a bit! - does anyone remember the very old (78's) records? They were "His Master's Voice" or something like that with brown labels on and brown sleeves. We had those those at home, I can still see my dad now putting one on the player. There was one in particular that stands out in my mind, it went something like this -

"Seven little girls sitting in the back seat, hugging and a kissing with Fred, he said why don't one of you come up and sit beside me, here's what the seven girls said.....altogether now...one, two, three....Keep you eyes on the driving, keeps your hands on the wheel, and we'll keep an eye on the road ahead. We're having fun sitting in the back seat, hugging and a kissing with Fred"....... I'm singing this tune in my head as I'm posting this :w00t:

I've searched for that song to find out who sang it, I'd love to know who it was and what year.

Aww WOW!!!!! Thank you....thank you.....thank you EL :nw::clap:

This brings back a lot of memories for me :wub: ...Thank you for posting this :) :)

The last jukebox I saw was in an amusement arcade! I still have a record case full of singles (45's) and another two cases of LP's.

Now this is going back a bit! - does anyone remember the very old (78's) records? They were "His Master's Voice" or something like that with brown labels on and brown sleeves. We had those those at home, I can still see my dad now putting one on the player. There was one in particular that stands out in my mind, it went something like this -

"Seven little girls sitting in the back seat, hugging and a kissing with Fred, he said why don't one of you come up and sit beside me, here's what the seven girls said.....altogether now...one, two, three....Keep you eyes on the driving, keeps your hands on the wheel, and we'll keep an eye on the road ahead. We're having fun sitting in the back seat, hugging and a kissing with Fred"....... I'm singing this tune in my head as I'm posting this :w00t:

I've searched for that song to find out who sang it, I'd love to know who it was and what year.

Hi,yes I know the song but havnt a clue who sang it,all I can suggest is try the web site "Ask Jeeves",you may get an answer.Old 78's in good condition are quite valuable to collectors,it might be worth getting them valued and putting them to auction,but NOT a car boot sale,cheers......

Hi,yes I know the song but havnt a clue who sang it,all I can suggest is try the web site "Ask Jeeves",you may get an answer.Old 78's in good condition are quite valuable to collectors,it might be worth getting them valued and putting them to auction,but NOT a car boot sale,cheers......

'Seven Little Girls' was originally recorded by 'The Avons' and was released in 1959.The Avons were a British pop vocal group. Originally composed of Valerie Murtagh (born 1936, Willesden, London) and Elaine Murtagh, (born 1940, County Cork, Eire) and known as 'The Avon Sisters', they added Raymond S. Adams (born 1938, Jersey, Channel Islands), and changed their name to 'The Avons'.

Edited by ealdwita

After Eldorado kindly posted a video of the song, I'm just happy to know it wasn't something I dreamt up lol! The old 78's collection we had, I don't know what happened to them. My mum and dad moved house long after I left home so what they did with them I've no idea.

'Seven Little Girls' was originally recorded by 'The Avons' and was released in 1959.The Avons were a British pop vocal group. Originally composed of Valerie Murtagh (born 1936, Willesden, London) and Elaine Murtagh, (born 1940, County Cork, Eire) and known as 'The Avon Sisters', they added Raymond S. Adams (born 1938, Jersey, Channel Islands), and changed their name to 'The Avons'.

1959! wow..thank you, that's interesting, but now I do feel old!... :D

My dad used to have a collection of very old 78's... The lable said they were from the "RCA Victrola Talking Machine Company"... Very old... Unfortunatly they were lost during one of our many moves... We spent on average 2 years in a house/town then would have to move to another... You lose a lot of stuff that way!

Edited by Taun

post-86645-0-44602300-1333736406_thumb.j

The little dog's name is Nipper.. :lol:

post-86645-0-92893000-1333736366_thumb.j

1917! label

Anyway, the 50's were a great time in the colonies too! ... so were the sixties come to think of it! :)

Some of my very favorite music is that extremely silly 50's Doo Wop . i hope it made it to england as a gift in exchange for British Rock! :tu:

Some of my very favorite music is that extremely silly 50's Doo Wop . i hope it made it to england as a gift in exchange for British Rock! :tu:

It was YOU who were responsible for this?..........

Edited by Eldorado

Well, not me, personally, Eldorado, but yanks . Ya, that's pretty much it! hehe. shoop shoop . . . shibity shibity bop!*

the Beatle's did a little .. mmshoobie doobie ... auh .. shoobie doobie.. in "Revolution" lol.