Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Domestic life in 1950s Britain

Still Waters

In primary school we sat at desks with the lift up lids, and they supplied us with pencils and pens with nibs, the type you dip into the inkwells on your desk. There were ink monitors, boys who came around filling up the inkwells out of big glass bottles. The ink was rubbish and the pens scratched the paper and blotted a lot. If you broke your nib you could get another one off the teacher in class. Blotting paper was a must, a stick of white chalk would work too but not as good.

In secondary school we had to take our own pens etc...I went through quite a few pencil cases of different shapes and sizes, and to start with I had a leather satchel to carry everything in....bulging at the seams lol.

SATCHELS! Another warm memory!! Way before boys sport bags!! And yeah we had lift up lids that someone usually stuck down with bubble gum!! And plimsolls, blue shorts and white vests! And nurses that did nit inspections in our heads!!

Milk in little bottles and red straws. Remember the Humphrey ads?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spud the mackem

• Still Waters

• Eldorado

• bouncer

Missed a lot over the course of the day. Am back to work.

I took sink baths too when I was little. I gave my little ones sink baths too. Easier than bending over the tub. I lived in town when I was little so my mom didn't have a vegetable garden. Yard was too small but she had rosebushes and a big pink peony bush that was always covered with ants. Used to raid one of the neighbors mulberry bushes though.

Never had an outhouse. Whew. Newspaper doesn't sound too soft.

I remember snow being much deeper then. We used to go sled riding right at the courthouse, which is built on one of the best hills in town. Now you'd be arrested. There was a bakery in the neighborhood and once in a while the bakers would bring us hot rolls out of the oven. Nothing has tasted that good since.

Lol. Going back a few post where stm mentions the difference in the speech we use here in the US and over in England, I just have to say that as a young child I remember a nappy as being something I took every afternoon with my teddy.

Edited by susieice

I can remember on the odd occasion when the weather was very very cold, the water in the toilet pan would freeze and my dad used to have to break up the ice in it. That was the upstairs toilet too, inside the house!

Brr, sounds a bit chilly!

Remember the Humphrey ads?

I do indeed! "watch out, there's a Humphrey about" :D

Brr, sounds a bit chilly!

It was a bit lol. We lived on the coast and the house was on a hill. One side of it (bathroom side) was very exposed and we had no central heating. I actually had a fireplace in my bedroom but it was never used. We had no heating upstairs, and downstairs there were fireplaces in both sitting rooms but we had a gas fire in one room and an electric fire (coal effect) in the other. In the kitchen we just had one of those small portable blow heaters when it was needed.

We had a cellar under the house too and when it was windy the draught coming up from it would lift up part of the lino on the floor of the little room above it.

I do indeed! "watch out, there's a Humphrey about" :D

It was a bit lol. We lived on the coast and the house was on a hill. One side of it (bathroom side) was very exposed and we had no central heating. I actually had a fireplace in my bedroom but it was never used. We had no heating upstairs, and downstairs there were fireplaces in both sitting rooms but we had a gas fire in one room and an electric fire (coal effect) in the other. In the kitchen we just had one of those small portable blow heaters when it was needed.

We had a cellar under the house too and when it was windy the draught coming up from it would lift up part of the lino on the floor of the little room above it.

No double glazing,on windows,open coal fire,had to go down the yard to the coal house carry a huge bucket back and use tongs to load it on the fire.I lived 20 yards from a 100 ft cliff edge and sometimes the spray would turn one side of the house white,the sea hit the cliffs and it was a continuous roar,and then the foghorn would go from the lighthouse a 1/4 mile away,and we had gas lighting,happy days ha ha ha .

No double glazing,on windows,open coal fire,had to go down the yard to the coal house carry a huge bucket back and use tongs to load it on the fire.I lived 20 yards from a 100 ft cliff edge and sometimes the spray would turn one side of the house white,the sea hit the cliffs and it was a continuous roar,and then the foghorn would go from the lighthouse a 1/4 mile away,and we had gas lighting,happy days ha ha ha .

:lol: :lol:

I feel a video coming on... Monty Python Yorkshire men

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eDaSvRO9xA

Edited by bouncer

Do you know anyone who's getting younger? :blush:

Do you know anyone who's getting younger? :blush:

Young people appear to be getting younger every year. lol

I think you mean maturity. :lol:

Edited by susieice

You know someone who's getting younger? :blush:

No.. they just look younger. Like, you look at a cop and he looks about 18yrs old, fgs.

Maybe it's just me. lol

Edited by Eldorado

No. You're right. Some of them do and others look older than their age. When I was 12, I looked like I was 12. Why do kids today want to grow up so fast? Few of the boys in my high school class had beards. Now a lot of them do. I swear it's in the food they eat. Too many additives. You didn't see so many of them in the 60s either.

I think you mean maturity. :lol:

Hi Y'all, I reckon that Policemen are getting younger ! if you can find one haha,and some of the kids driving cars look about 14,but if you live to be a 100 you've got it made ,because not a lot of people die after then...

So to sum all this up (its been very interesting),was it better in "the good old days! ",or is it better now ?..did you get better value for money,and better goods then,or is it better now ?..I used to go shopping and look for labels "made in Britain,or "made in U.S.A."because I thought you got good value,but now everything seems to be "made in China/Japan/Taiwan",and if these goods last a year you are lucky...but we do have a better standard of living now.(I think ?)

Hi Y'all, I reckon that Policemen are getting younger ! if you can find one haha,and some of the kids driving cars look about 14,but if you live to be a 100 you've got it made ,because not a lot of people die after then...

So to sum all this up (its been very interesting),was it better in "the good old days! ",or is it better now ?..did you get better value for money,and better goods then,or is it better now ?..I used to go shopping and look for labels "made in Britain,or "made in U.S.A."because I thought you got good value,but now everything seems to be "made in China/Japan/Taiwan",and if these goods last a year you are lucky...but we do have a better standard of living now.(I think ?)

I honestly think it was better to be a kid then and perhaps an adult now... Looking around at entertainment for kids today, I feel I had more fun back then with little more than a cardboard box and my imagination, than they seem to today with computers, non-stop television and all the 'gee-whiz' toys... And as an adult - I have a lot more options today than I ever would have back 'then'...

I'm glad I grew up when I did. Kids today are under so much pressure from competition to achieve the best grades or be an outstanding athlete, all starting at a very young age. They've always been cruel with some of the things they say to each other but kids are so much more violent now. Taking a gun to school or flashmobbing was unheard of in the 60s. Of course, with all the new technology available, kids are smarter today than we were. It's not the age of innocence it used to be.

I would also say that value was much better back then. Things were built to last instead of the disposable mentality of today. Much, much cheaper too.

I'm glad I grew up when I did. Kids today are under so much pressure from competition to achieve the best grades or be an outstanding athlete, all starting at a very young age. They've always been cruel with some of the things they say to each other but kids are so much more violent now. Taking a gun to school or flashmobbing was unheard of in the 60s. Of course, with all the new technology available, kids are smarter today than we were. It's not the age of innocence it used to be.

I would also say that value was much better back then. Things were built to last instead of the disposable mentality of today. Much, much cheaper too.

I'm not sure that kids today are 'smarter'... I think we were actually better at math than they are today, but today's kids are better educated in other areas... So I would say it's a tie on that... But the rest of your post was spot on...

We were allowed to be KIDS... not so much pressure to 'grow-up'.. people knew we were kids and expected us to act accordingly... Now days everyone expects them to act like grown-ups, way before they should have to...

Semi-literate is what I'd call most under 30s I've had business correspondence with. And I'm not kidding. Great at tech but don't know how to compose a simple letter.

Semi-literate is what I'd call most under 30s I've had business correspondence with. And I'm not kidding. Great at tech but don't know how to compose a simple letter.

Hi,I think that you are right on that one,we were taught at school how to write a letter,for an interview,and how to compose a C.V. to put in with it,but them days jobs seemed more plentifull,todays kids leaving school dont have much to go for in the way of jobs,and unless the go to college the outlook seems bleak for them.I feel sorry for young people who I see in the supermarkets/Mc.Donalds,or in any of these low grade jobs paying beans for a weeks work.Of course a few of them are earning a few bucks in order to see their way through college which I admire.

I know what you mean. The three R's have suffered. Because of the advances in technology and the sciences, they know more because a lot of adults don't keep up with all the latest advances. Most writing that they do is done on a computer with spell check, even their homework. When I was in school we wrote everything out and put it together in binders to be turned in. Now it's googled and printed out. In math class, we weren't allowed to have calculators. Now all the kids have them. Kids today spend their time on video games and don't read a lot of books anymore. Everything seems to be made into a movie. No use of an imagination and all at such a young age. The sad thing is the way things are going they will never miss these basics. There will always be a machine to do what they should be doing in their heads. They're losing their ability to think for themselves. Not all, but many. It's sad. The job market and the cost of living that these kids face is horrible. I know where I work (medical) for every job opening advertised, we get 200+ applications within a week. Nursing staff, maintenance, kitchen, housekeeping it doesn't matter. The job market is flooded here. Even college diplomas aren't helping.

Edited by susieice

I think we look healthier these days. (apart from the obese, of course)

There were some really sickly kids and adults padding about the streets when I was young. People with humphs and deformed legs etc.

People who always seemed to have a cold or bad cough.

Don't see so much of that now.

Edited by Eldorado

I know what you mean. The three R's have suffered. Because of the advances in technology and the sciences, they know more because a lot of adults don't keep up with all the latest advances. Most writing that they do is done on a computer with spell check, even their homework. When I was in school we wrote everything out and put it together in binders to be turned in. Now it's googled and printed out. In math class, we weren't allowed to have calculators. Now all the kids have them. Kids today spend their time on video games and don't read a lot of books anymore. Everything seems to be made into a movie. No use of an imagination and all at such a young age. The sad thing is the way things are going they will never miss these basics. There will always be a machine to do what they should be doing in their heads. They're losing their ability to think for themselves. Not all, but many. It's sad. The job market and the cost of living that these kids face is horrible. I know where I work (medical) for every job opening advertised, we get 200+ applications within a week. Nursing staff, maintenance, kitchen, housekeeping it doesn't matter. The job market is flooded here. Even college diplomas aren't helping.

Hiya,Calculators....too high tech for me,ha ha......I asked Grand daughter (9),if she knew her "times tables",whats a times table ?,well its like 9 x 9 or 7 x 5 =.......Oh,she said,we dont do it that way,we are allowed calculators.!!!...so I showed her a couple of examples,and she was very interested...and when we had finished she said,Grandad I didnt know that you knew all that stuff,can you teach me...Wow,what happens if they lose their calculators just before an exam or the battery goes flat...????...No kids playing on the streets after tea anymore...About 40 of us would be in the back street playing soccer until our parents called us in when it got dark...Then we would terrify ourselves listening to The Man in Black on a tube (valve) radio before bed at 9...Cheers...

I think we look healthier these days. (apart from the obese, of course)

There were some really sickly kids and adults padding about the streets when I was young. People with humphs and deformed legs etc.

People who always seemed to have a cold or bad cough.

Don't see so much of that now.

Aaaargh,they didnae eat their weetabix,but just after the WW 2,proper food was a bit scarce and you still had rationing until about 1950,I remember queuing at the grocers for an hour for 3 bananas,but yes kids are healthier,if you keep them out of McDonalds,or the Pizza Hut...and dont give them chips with every meal.cheers....

Aaaargh,they didnae eat their weetabix,but just after the WW 2,proper food was a bit scarce and you still had rationing until about 1950,I remember queuing at the grocers for an hour for 3 bananas,but yes kids are healthier,if you keep them out of McDonalds,or the Pizza Hut...and dont give them chips with every meal.cheers....

In the early 60's 'junk food' was rare and actually a treat... Heck a large pizza cost $20 and my dad's bring home pay for a month was only about $500... Also, there weren't as many fast food places at all... In El Paso (where I was at the time) there were perhaps a dozen McDonalds... Now there is one on every street corner - or so it seems...

I will agree that kids are 'medically' healthier today,perhaps... but nutritionally I think we were better off then...

When I was deployed to Iraq, I wrote a letter home every week... The (younger) guys in my section laughed at me and asked why I would take the time to do that when I could text them when ever I wanted (when we were'nt 'outside the wire')...

I told them a text was fine, but a letter was forever, and showed that you cared enough to spend the time to put your thoughts down... They did'nt get it, until we came back and they came up to me and said that they wished they had written a few... More than just technology has changed... The cultures have changed since I was younger...

What has always stuck in my memory is some at primary school always seemed to have that purple stuff on their impetigo.... and those poor "thalidomide" victims. :(

(The school playground ain't no place for the weak.... lol but also sad)

What has always stuck in my memory is some at primary school always seemed to have that purple stuff on their impetigo.... and those poor "thalidomide" victims. :(

(The school playground ain't no place for the weak.... lol but also sad)

The thalidomide problem was just horrible... It was a poorly thought out and researched 'good idea' to help women with 'cramping'... And it worked... Unfortunately, it worked by closing down capillaries, and shutting off the blood supply to the cramping area... This in turn - if the woman was pregnant - caused the capillaries in the developing baby to not form... result - no arms or legs... Absolutely horrible...

In a bizarre sort of twist, I read an article a few years back that thalidomide can actually kill cancer cells by the same means... Haven't heard if they are continuing the research or not...