Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Florida Teen murdered by

Copasetic

SANFORD, Fla. — Police have released audio 911 tapes in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed teenager allegedly killed by a neighborhood watch captain while walking home from a store.

In eight chilling recordings, made the night of February 26, listeners can hear the frightened voices of neighbors calling to report screams for help, gunfire and then that someone was dead.

In perhaps the most disturbing of the recordings, a frightened voice cries out for help and pleads "No! No!" and then continues to wail.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Pretty hard to listen to the 911 one calls and read the story about this. You can find a petition online for there to be an arrest and investigation of George Zimmerman. Google is your friend.

More relevant links;

Zimmerman's history of agression

Miami heralds story

• Like 1

I read this on Yahoo earlier today. This Zimmerman needs to be charged with the killing of this 17yr old young man who was yelling for help and knew his life was in danger. I didn't open your links but the story I saw said the teen had been to the store for candy and was walking home when he was chased by this neighborhood watch person. Even the people watching this happen were very upset. The calls Zimmerman made to 911 have a rather disturbing attitude towards anyone he saw walking down the street. Sounded to me like a self-styled vigilante wannabe. The 911 operator had even told him to leave the boy alone. Very disturbing to read what happened here.

Can't find the article on Yahoo now, but I remember reading that the teen's parents have requested the FBI be brought into the investigation because they feel the police are covering up for Zimmerman and no longer trust them. The FBI has agreed to assist. It also said that most residents of Sanford are supporting the family and want this man brought in front of a Grand Jury for indictment.

Will keep looking to see if I can find the article.

One more edit. Here's the article I read that was linked to Yahoo.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ip3bvDxo9RmJBFkjebcjeBfhcprQ?docId=4e25d4e584f54590b2115c5445189df9

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Pretty hard to listen to the 911 one calls and read the story about this. You can find a petition online for there to be an arrest and investigation of George Zimmerman. Google is your friend.

More relevant links;

Zimmerman's history of agression

Miami heralds story

I would suggest an investigation into the Police Dept there should also be carried out. The indications from the story suggest institutionalised racism within it.

• Like 1

That is truly tragic - Zimmerman claimed the boy was acting "like he was on drugs". I wonder what the autopsy says? I would not be at all surprised if the kid was squeeky clean. This Zimmerman needs to be put away for life, it's just plain outrageous that he has not yet been charged.

• Like 1

One can only hope that the police are building their case against him before making an arrest. Or else the vigilante has "connections" in town.

One can only hope that the police are building their case against him before making an arrest. Or else the vigilante has "connections" in town.

Not at all uncommon in small towns. Sanford's not so small but not huge either. Disgraceful.

Dude needs to burn for that.

I'm surprised to hear that neighborhood watch patrolmen can carry firearms.

I'm not entirely sure the police are building any case. The Police Chief has gone on record stating there is no evidence to doubt Zimmerman's testimony of what occurred (Zimmerman alleges the youth attacked him, and he shot him in self-defence).

There is also this...

Zimmerman told police that was him crying for help and that Trayvon started the fight. He claimed self-defense and was not charged, flaring deep-seated racial tensions between blacks and police, who have a long history of distrust. On at least two prior occasions, the Sanford Police Department was accused of giving favorable treatment to relatives of officers involved in violent encounters with blacks.

In 2010, police waited seven weeks to arrest a lieutenant’s son who was caught on video sucker-punching a homeless black man.

In 2005, two security guards — one the son of a longtime Sanford police officer and the other a department volunteer — killed a black man they said was trying to run them over. Black leaders complained of a lackluster investigation. The guards ultimately were acquitted.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/17/2700249/shooter-of-trayvon-martin-a-habitual.html#moreb#storylink=cpy

...which may suggest the Police Dept of Sanford, Florida are less than exemplary in dealing with crimes against black people.

I hope, if the FBI do get involved, they can provide a voice analysis of the 911 calls to ascertain who it was screaming for help - as Zimmerman asserts that was him. However, the testimonies of the callers to 911 all seem to suggest the screams were from the youth.

Edited by Leonardo

I'm going to go against the crowd here. While it sounds like this Zimmerman was an obnoxious jackass the scenario he lays out is a pretty believable one. I know that as a high school junior I would have started an altercation with a strange guy following me around in my neighborhood at night, probably would have assaulted him honestly.

I think the cops have it right when they say they just don't have any evidence that Zimmerman's story isn't true.

I'm going to go against the crowd here. While it sounds like this Zimmerman was an obnoxious jackass the scenario he lays out is a pretty believable one. I know that as a high school junior I would have started an altercation with a strange guy following me around in my neighborhood at night, probably would have assaulted him honestly.

I think the cops have it right when they say they just don't have any evidence that Zimmerman's story isn't true.

Even if this is the case, and you're right that it's plausible, why the use of deadly force on someone unarmed? Doesn't pass the smell test. Even some of the folks Zimmerman was supposed to be protecting had complained about his tactics. I see Sanford becoming a must see destination for representatives of several federal agencies for awhile. Their city taxes will probably go up to pay for the settlement they'll be paying, also.

Dude needs to burn for that.

I'm surprised to hear that neighborhood watch patrolmen can carry firearms.

That surprised me also. The 911 dispatcher told Zimmerman to stop following the teen. He is not a policeman. If there had been need, 911 would have dispatched one. Why was this not done?

@ bigtroutak- Even if you did start an altercation with a stranger who was following you in the dark, it would be you acting in self-defense, not the person chasing you.

I see no excuse for this shooting. Thank goodness it was witnessed by people who reported what they saw on 911 tapes also. Very upsetting to watch and unsettling to read about.

Even if this is the case, and you're right that it's plausible, why the use of deadly force on someone unarmed? Doesn't pass the smell test. Even some of the folks Zimmerman was supposed to be protecting had complained about his tactics. I see Sanford becoming a must see destination for representatives of several federal agencies for awhile. Their city taxes will probably go up to pay for the settlement they'll be paying, also.

The use of deadly force against an unarmed (alleged) assailant was justified with Florida's "stand your ground" law, which permits the use of deadly force if the person believes they at risk of their life.

While this law may provide benefit to some - little old ladies or other vulnerable people - it was fiercly debated before introduction because of the relative ease of it's abuse.

I am concerned how Zimmerman, who was previously arrested and charged with assault of a police officer, was able to 'plea bargain' his way out of that charge to leave a clean criminal record and permit his licensing for carrying a firearm.

I am concerned how Zimmerman, who was previously arrested and charged with assault of a police officer, was able to 'plea bargain' his way out of that charge to leave a clean criminal record and permit his licensing for carrying a firearm.

Because its Florida! LMAO

• Like 1

The use of deadly force against an unarmed (alleged) assailant was justified with Florida's "stand your ground" law, which permits the use of deadly force if the person believes they at risk of their life.

While this law may provide benefit to some - little old ladies or other vulnerable people - it was fiercly debated before introduction because of the relative ease of it's abuse.

Leo, good points about the "stand your ground/dirty Harry laws". I am a proud gun owner (and safe one to boot), but these "stand your ground" laws that keep popping up in some states really seem to me, to be used to protect aggressors.

A 28 year old, 240 lb man follows, chases and then attempts to detain (all against the orders of the police) a 140 lb kid who was probably scared of a strange man following him in an SUV then chasing him; tries to physically detain said kid (who he has no authority to detain--neighborhood watch doesn't give you any special police privileges) then "feels threatened" by the kid so shoots him and claims "self-defense".....

I find it disturbing that one could basically pick a fight with another human being, not breaking any laws, pull out a gun and shoot them, then claim it was all self-defense.

Further I find it very disturbing that a 17 year old kid with a bag of skittles and can of soda or tea (I mean what kind of "terrible" picture does that paint of a kid?) can be considered such an "imminent threat" that deadly force is justifiable one.

Another great point about Zimmerman's history too. As a gun owner, I strongly support responsible gun ownership. People with a history of physical altercations with law enforcement shouldn't be allowed to own guns, period. People with obvious issues with anger management shouldn't be allowed to own guns.

I can only hope this issue gets resolved quickly in a legal manner and justice is done for the family. I also hope that states with these laws on the books take a good look at how they are being used.

So anyone in Florida can shoot anyone they please as long as the victim is anywhere around them and they can say they felt threatened? That cop is lucky he's still around.

Here's a link of the states with a "Dirty Harry" law. Most are called Castle Laws, which allows the use of deadly force to protect your home and property. Will not be visiting states that will allow someone to shoot me because I'm walking down the street if at all possible.

http://askville.amazon.com/states-Make-Day-law-inspired-Dirty-Harry/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=36523919

Edited by susieice

That surprised me also. The 911 dispatcher told Zimmerman to stop following the teen. He is not a policeman. If there had been need, 911 would have dispatched one. Why was this not done?

@ bigtroutak- Even if you did start an altercation with a stranger who was following you in the dark, it would be you acting in self-defense, not the person chasing you.

I see no excuse for this shooting. Thank goodness it was witnessed by people who reported what they saw on 911 tapes also. Very upsetting to watch and unsettling to read about.

Exactly. Zimmerman had no authority to stop or detain anyone, he acted as the agressor--Whether he was "winning or loosing" doesn't matter, if you start a fight with someone you can't claim "self-defense" then pull out a gun and shoot them--simply because you've started a fight and don't like the way it is going. If that is allowed to stand, it sets a dangerous precedent for how these "laws" can be used.

Susieice--If you listen to the first 911 (they are very disturbing to listen too, fyi) recording the dispatcher clearly tells Zimmerman that a unit has been dispatched to location and he is to not follow or chase the teen who "looks suspicious". Zimmerman seemed too concerned that "these "as*&^(#S always get away" to listen to the though...

Edited by Copasetic

They take care of their own.

"Stand your ground" law would probably not apply here if he was on a public street and approached or tried to intimidate with his gun.

I think the family will probably file a wrongful death lawsuit if no criminal charges are filed.

This shooting in Florida brings to mind another - unrelated event- from years ago in Pensacola, Fla. A guy saw his neighbors fighting in the their front yard and became alarmed at how violent it was getting. He goes and gets his pistol and fires a shot into the air to stop them. They, 3 of them, chase him into his house, down the hall into his bedroom and are coming at him as he backs into a closet. Boom, boom, boom. Last guy he shot in the BACK. All three dead - Grand jury did not indict.

This shooting in Florida brings to mind another - unrelated event- from years ago in Pensacola, Fla. A guy saw his neighbors fighting in the their front yard and became alarmed at how violent it was getting. He goes and gets his pistol and fires a shot into the air to stop them. They, 3 of them, chase him into his house, down the hall into his bedroom and are coming at him as he backs into a closet. Boom, boom, boom. Last guy he shot in the BACK. All three dead - Grand jury did not indict.

They chased him into his home with intent to hurt him. This does sound like self-defense.

Over the weekend it sounds like there has been a lot of outrage over what happened to this boy. Zimmerman was a self-appointed block watch type person and was not affiliated with any police or civilian organisation that I can see.

http://news.yahoo.com/neighborhood-watchman-allegedly-shot-trayvon-martin-wanted-cop-211535382--abc-news.html

Great story.

Exactly. Zimmerman had no authority to stop or detain anyone

dont want to derail, but, dont citizens have the right to restrain someone if they believe a crime has been committed? :mellow:

Depends. Restrain yes. Shoot and kill no.