Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

: We’ll Spy on You Through Your Dishwasher

Ryinrea

More and more personal and household devices are connecting to the internet, from your television to your car navigation systems to your light switches. CIA Director David Petraeus cannot wait to spy on you through them.

Earlier this month, Petraeus mused about the emergence of an “Internet of Things” — that is, wired devices — at a summit for In-Q-Tel, the CIA’s venture capital firm.“‘Transformational’ is an overused word, but I do believe it properly applies to these technologies,” Petraeus enthused, “particularly to their effect on clandestine tradecraft.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Dear Alex Jones,

I'm sorry that I called you nuts over three hundred times. :blush: :blush:

This is outrageous, I'm just glad that my Tv and most of my appliances were made in 2004-2007.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• _Only

• questionmark

• preacherman76

• Corp

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not afraid of being spied on while I make a sandwich.

I can't be; where would the paranoia end?

There's gotta be a point when you get past the fear of being spied everywhere you are, and you get to why anyone would care what you do with your dishwasher. It's comforting.

There's gotta be a point when you get past the fear of being spied everywhere you are, and you get to why anyone would care what you do with your dishwasher. It's comforting.

You don't care if you're spied on, so its ok to spy on you?

I don't have anything to hide either, but I still value my privacy and wouldnt want people keeping track of everything I say and do...

I don't have anything to hide either, but I still value my privacy and wouldnt want people keeping track of everything I say and do...

Oh yeh....welcome to your future, we will be spied on, and we have no choice.....

it properly p***es me off.....

Indeed. And who knows, if they are spying on me and I wind up in one of the many FEMA camp locations perhaps I'll meet some interesting young lady there. OOOPs I keep forgetting that if the odds are good then the goods just may be odd :w00t:

If I know what they are spying on me with it should be no great problem to let them just know what I choose them to know.

i'd rather not spend my life putting on an act for my appliances

It's not okay; I'm just talking about coping.

edit: Well, assuming there is a secret spy organization who is interested in what I do with, and around, my blender. Which there isn't. But if there was.

But I guess the possibility of a technology to be used for nefarious reasons is enough to get some to a state of panic. Been around here too long to want to make that dive, after simply hearing that every day appliances will harness network technologies (and all of the good, bad, and ugly possibilities that comes with it).

edit of an edit: The comments on that article's page are golden.

Edited by Jerry Only

If I know what they are spying on me with it should be no great problem to let them just know what I choose them to know.

Really? You find nothing wrong with that? You find nothing wrong having to walk into a room and think "ok, they're recording me in this room, therefore I'll only say the following ..."?

Fine with me, while It's stalking it can empty, fill, add the soap And rinse-aid, And put them away also! Hack and program my dishwasher constructively thanks! thumbsup.gif If your bills and accounts are stuck on the fridge it would pay to remove them as well, one wouldn't want to come home to an empty house or bank accounts due to your personal information scrawled across ones kitchen!!!! yes.gif I my connect my washing machine to the net too!

Really? You find nothing wrong with that? You find nothing wrong having to walk into a room and think "ok, they're recording me in this room, therefore I'll only say the following ..."?

No, I do what I always do, nothing more and nothing less. Just when I am up to something out of the ordinary I would not do it in that room.

Who's the poor b****** who's going to be forced to watch all this video?

:tu:

If they ARE actualy spying on you, are you still paranoid???

I guess this is one way to look at it.

Another way would be to get p***ed, stand up and do something about it.

No, I do what I always do, nothing more and nothing less. Just when I am up to something out of the ordinary I would not do it in that room.

:tu:

Please, please, please, tell me you are joking??????????????????????????????????????????????

I have suspected for some time that they want a fight. That they are intentionaly provoking a revolution. The fact that this is now out in the open confirms it. This is gonna get ugly.

Darn it! Can't a man have his own privacy around here?

Even more awkward, what if they are spying on you through an object in your bedroom and you and your partner are getting intimate :ph34r:

I think it is more along the lines of where do you draw the line for yourself?

In other words, people are worried about being spied on by the dishwasher. Why? Why not being spied on by your phone? Your TV? Those laser vibration things for windows? There are a thousand and one different ways anyone, let alone the government, could be spying on you. If all you focus on is the possibility that you are being spied on, you are setting yourself up for paranoia.

Alternatively, instead of fussing about the possibility, you focus on the probability of being spied on, things become a bit more manageable. Simply put, sure anyone could be spying on you, but really, what are the odds that you merit that sort of attention? Just what is it that you do that anyone would find interesting?

In all honesty, in my personal opinion as a wannabe psychologist, I tend to see these sorts of posts as less a fear that the government will actually be able to monitor people, and more a worry that, individually, you just don't really merit that much attention by the government. I tend to think that it would be a great blow to many people that the government can monitor them, but just doesn't find them to be particularly worrisome, no matter how much of a threat to the status quo the people think of themselves.

Please, please, please, tell me you are joking??????????????????????????????????????????????

There is nothing I do on an average day that nobody is supposed to know. I live on an island, which means no matter how much I want to hide it, whatever I do everybody knows it. Would not hurt me more if the government did so too.

In all honesty, in my personal opinion as a wannabe psychologist, I tend to see these sorts of posts as less a fear that the government will actually be able to monitor people, and more a worry that, individually, you just don't really merit that much attention by the government. I tend to think that it would be a great blow to many people that the government can monitor them, but just doesn't find them to be particularly worrisome, no matter how much of a threat to the status quo the people think of themselves.

Or maybe peoples unconscious fear of the things inside them that they want to hide can drive a fear of this.

There is nothing I do on an average day that nobody is supposed to know. I live on an island, which means no matter how much I want to hide it, whatever I do everybody knows it. Would not hurt me more if the government did so too.

Think we should all live on an island (everyone seeing what you do) for a time. As in, have considerably less of the privacy we usually hold. Might be helpful in the long run.

Think it was helpful for me (in the long run). Maybe.

You know there's an easy solution to this. Just don't buy a dishwasher that connects to the internet or has cameras and mics built into it. Problem solved.

Though I can't seem to find any mention at all about dishwashers in the article so not sure where the heck that came from.

You know there's an easy solution to this. Just don't buy a dishwasher that connects to the internet or has cameras and mics built into it. Problem solved.

Though I can't seem to find any mention at all about dishwashers in the article so not sure where the heck that came from.

Just a placeholder appliance name.

Maybe. Though I'm not sure why any appliance would need to be connected to the internet.

That was a Microsoft brain maxturbation they presented about 8 years back on the Comdex. The fridge orders your food, you TV chooses your favorite program and automatically tape it if you happen not to be at home and the washers start when they can't bother you....

Question remaining: who needs that crap?

Not everyone knows what is going on inside your living room.

Please know that what Im about to say, I mean no offense. Its just the way I see it. Im not going to be able to talk politics with you, or anyone else here who has little to no problem with this. You guys have no concept of what it is to be even remotly free. Whats worse you dont even seem to care. We will never be able to find a middle ground, or even ever come close. Though I do understand alittle better your POV on other subjects we have spoken about now.