Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neil deGrasse Tyson on UFOs

Saru

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Saitung

• Zarifa

• Vexing

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilarious! Did you notice how long it took Dr. Tyson to gather his wits to answer this one question? He’s an astrophysicist so hard is it to say YES or NO? He has to carefully think about not only WHAT to say but HOW to say it. The Question was “Did he believe in UFO’s?” Why did he go into speculations as to WHY people who see UFO’s are not credible? Also, who said anything about LIGHTS in the SKY? Most of today UFO videos are of actual structured craft that have passed digital scrutiny. I just think it is very funny how he poured a great deal of defensiveness into just one question. Dr. Tyson, we know you have a cover to maintain since you, like many professors work for the government, thanks for revealing the truth in your nervous uncomfortness.

Hilarious! Did you notice how long it took Dr. Tyson to gather his wits to answer this one question? He’s an astrophysicist so hard is it to say YES or NO? He has to carefully think about not only WHAT to say but HOW to say it. The Question was “Did he believe in UFO’s?” Why did he go into speculations as to WHY people who see UFO’s are not credible? Also, who said anything about LIGHTS in the SKY? Most of today UFO videos are of actual structured craft that have passed digital scrutiny. I just think it is very funny how he poured a great deal of defensiveness into just one question. Dr. Tyson, we know you have a cover to maintain since you, like many professors work for the government, thanks for revealing the truth in your nervous uncomfortness.

I think he was just thinking about what he was going to say before he said it. Most people do that when they try to argue points that others feel strongly about. I don't really think you can gleam anything from his 'hesitation'.

On a side note: What I thought was interesting and very insightful of him was to neither confirm or deny the existence of UFOs, but to say that he would need physical evidence to confirm that they were in fact alien. And, although I'm sure misdirection and mis-seeing objects in the sky can't account for all sightings and encounters, he does bring up a good point about how we should not take everything as it appears at first glance.

What actual value is there in responding with a simple "YES or NO" to such a question?

If he had merely responded with a single word answer like you suggest, what would anyone take away from that? What more information would we need to actually understand his full point of view?

Besides...

Wasn't his response a very clear "NO?" Obviously he doesn't believe in alien visitation. At the same time he is clarifying that in order to accept such a notion he requires verifiable evidence. He also doesn't claim that aliens haven't been here.

If anyone has issue with this, my immediate question to them would be: Why wouldn't you require the same standard of evidence for this kind of belief?

I think this clown's first response is the truth.

:rolleyes:

This "clown"? Are you serious?

The man offers his point of view about the whole subject, in very clear terms, and you call him a "clown?"

Never mind, you aren't even worth the conversation.

I think he was just thinking about what he was going to say before he said it. Most people do that when they try to argue points that others feel strongly about. I don't really think you can gleam anything from his 'hesitation'.

On a side note: What I thought was interesting and very insightful of him was to neither confirm or deny the existence of UFOs, but to say that he would need physical evidence to confirm that they were in fact alien. And, although I'm sure misdirection and mis-seeing objects in the sky can't account for all sightings and encounters, he does bring up a good point about how we should not take everything as it appears at first glance.

Exactly. :tu: