Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First Man To Fly Like A Bird!

NatureBoff

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DieChecker

• NatureBoff

• questionmark

• Englishgent

This video is "good", but if you believe the guy actually flew like that ... I have a bridge in Sydney you may be interested in buying. :)

That's the problem with todays modern editing tools, anything can be made to look real. Be cool if it was... but... :unsure:

Bird-man doesn't even come close to a proper speed for air lift. His body weight couldn't be supported with the little amount of 'thrust' his arms are struggling to produce.

It's so not fake ha!

It looks like his arms are not what is providing the lifting force. There must be some kind of motor in the pack that is flapping the wings. Overall I agree his arms could not have provided the force needed for lift.

My bet? Green screen!

Could it be possible it was a hyrax imitating a human who was imitating a bird?

Could it be possible it was a hyrax imitating a human who was imitating a bird?

This seems to be a likely scenario to me, just this week I've received hundreds of eye witness reports of the same human/bird hyrax speeding through waves and sweeping up small foxes...

The tire tracks in the grass look like the footage that's supposed to be the flyer's first person footage was filmed from a hang glider with tires.

On a related note, the makers of Websters dictionary were stunned to find that there was no definition for the word Gullible in modern dictionaries.

I was surprised how it was picked up all over the Intenet. The video went viral quick. He'll be famous for this hoax. Basically everyone who knows anything about how this really might work says it is fake.

YEah They say Its all Fake CGI ,ECT,PROOF is in the Replay ! Even the Guys at Lucas Dreamworks say so . So it must be the Truth !

Jarno-NO ! Smeek`s me says no-no way me`s gonna bees flying wit justda flappin of da Arms !

Edited by DONTEATUS

What are your thoughts about the following speculation/s?

But is the whole thing fake, a clever advertisement for one of the companies featured in the clip? An expert on viral videos thinks so.

As mentioned prominently in his video descriptions, website and press releases, Smeets' wings are manipulated using Nintendo Wii remote controllers and accelerometers from an HTC Wildfire S android smartphone, and they're powered by Turnigy motors. He used a GoPro helmet camera to film his flight.

"I am about 85 percent certain this is a BVMP (branded viral movie production)," said Brent Coker, an Internet marketing expert at the University of Melbourne. Coker put out a theory last year highlighting what it takes for a viral-produced movie to actually go viral, and Human Bird Wings appears to have all the elements of success.

First, the Wii and other products being mentioned are congruent with the supposed lifestyle of Smeets and the other tech-savvy guys on his team. Moreover, the video has strong emotional appeal: At the end, Smeets tells viewers, "At one moment you see the ground moving away, and then suddenly you're free, a really intense feeling of freedom. The true feeling of flying. A [bleep] magical moment. The best feeling I have felt in my life!"

Third, the video appeals to a wide network of people — young DIY types as well as anyone who has ever dreamed of flying like a bird. Lastly, it combines two approaches that work well together in viral ad campaigns, according to Coker's research: In the video, viewers see something extremely surprising, and they're also likely to imagine themselves being friends with Smeets and his collaborators and sharing their ideals. These four attributes are a recipe for success, Coker said.

So, if it is an ad, who's behind it? Coker told Life's Little Mysteries that any of the companies featured could have commissioned the videos, with Nintendo being the most likely. But so far, none are coming forward.

Source

What are your thoughts about the following speculation/s?

But is the whole thing fake, a clever advertisement for one of the companies featured in the clip? An expert on viral videos thinks so.

As mentioned prominently in his video descriptions, website and press releases, Smeets' wings are manipulated using Nintendo Wii remote controllers and accelerometers from an HTC Wildfire S android smartphone, and they're powered by Turnigy motors. He used a GoPro helmet camera to film his flight.

"I am about 85 percent certain this is a BVMP (branded viral movie production)," said Brent Coker, an Internet marketing expert at the University of Melbourne. Coker put out a theory last year highlighting what it takes for a viral-produced movie to actually go viral, and Human Bird Wings appears to have all the elements of success.

First, the Wii and other products being mentioned are congruent with the supposed lifestyle of Smeets and the other tech-savvy guys on his team. Moreover, the video has strong emotional appeal: At the end, Smeets tells viewers, "At one moment you see the ground moving away, and then suddenly you're free, a really intense feeling of freedom. The true feeling of flying. A [bleep] magical moment. The best feeling I have felt in my life!"

Third, the video appeals to a wide network of people — young DIY types as well as anyone who has ever dreamed of flying like a bird. Lastly, it combines two approaches that work well together in viral ad campaigns, according to Coker's research: In the video, viewers see something extremely surprising, and they're also likely to imagine themselves being friends with Smeets and his collaborators and sharing their ideals. These four attributes are a recipe for success, Coker said.

So, if it is an ad, who's behind it? Coker told Life's Little Mysteries that any of the companies featured could have commissioned the videos, with Nintendo being the most likely. But so far, none are coming forward.

Source

BUT.....but...this man, can fly or soar like an eagle, and without any flapping, and its REAL!!

But Yves Rossy is useing engines with actual thrust and gravity from him jumping out of a plane to gain intnial speed for lift,then to top it off He`s real,and really doing it ! Theres nobody that denies this feat of skill and enginering !

But Jar Jar Sweets seems to have a very vauge background !

I guess we will see soon enough ! If Its real there will be real footage from others and other points of reference points.

THe main thing that gets me is the Helmut cam not budging a bit during the film ? Like try doing that If your Flapping your arms for Dear Life ! :innocent:

really...i am pretty big and strong...and im not sure if i could flap those...

what is he taking?steroids?

my bad...im sure i can NOT

Edited by Garibaldi

really...i am pretty big and strong...and im not sure if i could flap those...

what is he taking?steroids?

my bad...im sure i can NOT

I saw a link earlier today, when I wasnt even looking, stating it was faked, by the ones who made it, and its for viral marketing..

sods law I cant find the link now, but.. come on ...I dont need to prove it do I?

But great vid nonetheless, very clever!!

BUT.....but...this man, can fly or soar like an eagle, and without any flapping, and its REAL!!

That guy has the equivalent of 150 HP strapped to his behind. That is slightly different than 0.5 HP you can develop during a short time with muscles.

The power has to come from somewhere.,

The simple fact remains that humans do not have the required large chest cavity and muscle structure to fly like a bird. Also, our bones are too heavy whereas bird's bones are light and hollow. The other thing to remember is that when birds fly, their wings, as well as flapping up and down, have a slight swivelling movement to them as well.

We will never be able to fly in this manner without the aid of an outside power source. (IMO) :)

This guy did not use his arms to fly. He only flpped his arms to give vector directions to the Wii controllers he was holding. The wings were flapped by mini motors that are strapped to his back. That is... if you believe he got off the ground at all. Which I don't. The wings did not act like he was flying, the fabric was loose and flapping way too much.

Update -

'Flying Dutchman' admits video was a hoax

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17487282

Ha, the guy had me going on that one! A few ion lithium batteries and I could have believed it. The fact that he isn't a known scientist doesn't make much of a difference in my view, just someone with a passion and science background could achieve it in principle. In a way I'm glad that the title of 'First man to fly like a bird' is still up for grabs.