Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Weird Sounds in Wisconsin

~TheBigK~

I wasn't sure if this was the correct forum to post this in but it was my best guess. Apologies if it needs to be moved or has already been posted.

Anyway, for the past few nights odd booming and clanging noises have been happening In Clintonville, WI.

Clintonville, Wisconsin, is a small town of about 4,600 residents 180 miles north of Madison

and west of Lake Michigan. Beginning around 9:30 PM Central on Sunday evening, March 18,

people in northeastern Clintonville reported loud sounds that shook their homes and were

compared to clanging metal and thunder. Monday evening, March 19, Clintonville

police, fire, emergency and utility crews checked manholes for gas leaks and

gas and water lines for leaks, but nothing abnormal was found.

Rest of the article here.

And other article from CNN here.

I only live about an hour from there and was visiting a friend right outside the town when it happened. I went for a walk around midnight and actually heard it. At first it sort of sounded like thunder but kind of underground, if that makes sense, with a vibration. Initially I thought it might be an earthquake though admittedly I had no idea if Wisconsin even gets them. :P Nor had I ever experienced one. Then I heard the metal clanging noise described in the article, and it was actually pretty loud. It was very strange and made me a little uneasy especially since I was alone and the noise seemed to move. So I went back to my friends and they had heard it as well and it even made the house shake. It happened periodically throughout the night but it was only intense a few times. We found out the next day that everyone had been calling and asking if it was an earthquake but like the article said, no seismic activity was found.

It also said that this is fairly common and occurs in other states has well. Does anyone have any experience with it or any theories? The most plausible explanation imo would be the rock burst, or some sort of natural phenomenon.

Edited by ~TheBigK~

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• docyabut2

• Sakari

• Eldorado

• Oniomancer

Funnily enough, someone I was talking to by email just today said this:

there was a bit of a Mystery last night round here. Shortly after I went to bed, there was a Normous Rumble, like a jet or something, but it went on for at least a good minute, and it got louder before it stopped. It sort of sounded like someone was trying to land a jet in the Pasture.

They are, I believe, in North Dakota. I don't know whether or not it might be related.

I heard it out here too. I live in the Florida, way out in the sticks. At first I thought it was a plane, but didn't see one. And then my dog and cats started acting all crazy (I was outside feeding the animals) and there was this weird clanking sound. It sounded like something was falling in the sky or whatever. Freaked me out. My brother heard it too from his bedroom.

What goes "boom" in the night? The exhausted residents of Clintonville, Wis., wish they knew................................

Story and Videos here

Well it is the cheese/dairy state.Maybe all those lactose intollerant peeps are in need of some TUMS.

:rofl:

Have you never felt the earth move, TheBigK? :)

No I haven't, that's why I was freaked out haha. Even if it was an earthquake that would scare me but knowing that it isn't is unsettling too.

Here's a vid I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSNOubK3U8

There was a piece on it I saw on CNN today but I can't find it anywhere online. In it a man suggested that it could be a thing called a frost-quake, which can be "caused by a sudden cracking action in frozen soil or rock saturated with water or ice. As water seeps down into the rock, it freezes and expands, putting stress on surrounding rock. This builds up until it is relieved explosively in a cryoseism." - from Wikipedia.

That does seem like a good explanation but would that cause metallic clanging noises? Plus I've read that this is happening in warmer states in the South as well where I'm assuming frost-quakes don't happen. On Facebook a couple of people said that it's still happening though I haven't found any actual reports to substantiate that yet.

At 5.30am this morning i was woken up by a rumbling noise, I live in Cornwall in the Uk. I live near a naval base but have lived here my whole life so i know the sounds of the planes and helicopters, this was something different. My first thought was a distant thunder storm but there hasn't been any storms reported. The rumbling lasted about ten minutes. It's probably nothing but i find it weird how it woke me up in a flight or fight state.

@Subsonicjourno Yeah I thought it was someone stealing my wheelie bin lol.

But I was not to sure if it was just a heavy burst of wind.

Edited by Ronseal

It's The Langoliers. :yes:

Some people are saying pole shift. Which I think is silly because this would be going on in more than once place. I'm curious to know what it is. From the Youtube video BigK posted it confirms there was ground movement.

Edit: I found this quote. "One resident at that meeting said, "There may be some reason to believe that the warm spring is shifting the granite rock underneath our community."

Unlike limestone, which could be dissolved by water and collapse into a sinkhole, granite is solid. But there are small cracks that can be filled by water. If underground water levels drop, those cracks could lead to small shifts, resulting in booms."

Edited by IamLegend

we have what is called the seneca guns off topsail beach since i can remember the 50's, they say it is offshore alien ships digging?

we have what is called the seneca guns off topsail beach since i can remember the 50's, they say it is offshore alien ships digging?

I had never heard that phrase before. I live near Seneca Lake, so it peaked my interest.

"The term “Seneca guns” is just a name, not an explanation. It does not tell us anything about what causes these noises and shakings. The name originated in a short story that James Fennimore Cooper wrote during the 1800’s. The name refers to booms that have been heard on the shores of Lake Seneca and Lake Cayuga in New York State. The name has been applied to similar noises along the coasts of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. Similar booms are called Barisol guns in coastal India. These phenomena have also occurred in three widely separated places around the world. That’s about all we know about the Seneca guns."

Clintonville is next to Pigeon Lake. Could this be our answer?

This phenomenon has me intrigued.

I agree it's very interesting. It seems it's been going on, at least, since the 1800's, around large bodies of water. Which would point to some sort of natural phenomenon.

I wonder if all the skeptics still think this is a viral campaign? Some things in this world still lack logical scientific explanations. We don't have everything figured out.

dead birds and fish all over....strange noises all over the world....now strange vibrating is starting....something weird is definately going on...and there seems to be an increase in ufo sightings everywhere also....the plot thickens....

This the guy? (in the video)

http://www.weau.com/..._143757966.html

Not the same guy but he's talking about the same thing haha. Thanks.

Here's the newest article on it: http://img.ibtimes.com/www/articles/20120322/318109_clintonville-wis-wisconsin-booming-noise-strange.htm

It's still going on and apparently people are starting to leave town because it's loud enough to keep them awake. The frost-quake and Seneca gun theories make sense. I just want to know what kind of noises that usually happen with them? It could definitely explain the booming and thunder sounds, but I'm still curious about the metal clanging. That was what I heard with the booms and it was just, odd.

Ok this happens all the time in Tampa palm harbor area a lot !! We have macdill air force base near by even though they say it’s not them! i think there’s something they are doing the ground and the house shakes one day this happened 4 or 5 times and for weeks... what is it who the hell knows I think it’s a new air craft they are not saying that breaks the sound barrier and its cloaked!! The noise sounds the same as wisconsin and it is scary.Before we use to blame the shuttle or launches now there is no shuttle!sooooooo?

Hollow Earth people wanting to be let out? (only kiddin)

... and they all look like the Disney Dwarves! Millions of them!

lol

Edited by Eldorado

I wonder if all the skeptics still think this is a viral campaign? Some things in this world still lack logical scientific explanations. We don't have everything figured out. That's why I will always keep an open mind.