Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Weird Sounds in Wisconsin

~TheBigK~

Well, I wouldn't rule out any possibilities. Scientists have yet come up with a solid conclusion or concrete explanation of these sounds. They do speculate that due to the earth's extra activity recently it could be a natural phenomena. I wouldn't be so quick to judge that its extraterrestrial or its Aliens etc; It could be anything. What I would like to point out is that it is odd there is no historic record of this phenomena ever recorded prior to these recent events?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• docyabut2

• Sakari

• Eldorado

• Oniomancer

Now this thread is being destroyed......I saw it coming.

The Wisconsin sounds are legitimate, the stupid youtube videos are not........

Anyone remember the posts from a page or so back?

I wonder if all the skeptics still think this is a viral campaign? Some things in this world still lack logical scientific explanations. We don't have everything figured out.

This has nothing to do with the viral / fake / hoax videos.......It really should not be that hard to see a the difference between a reliable news story and a " viral " video....I guess if I used youtube as my education and news source, I would believe everything on it also.....

I will stick with more reliable sources for information myself.

This has facts, and evidence to back it up.( that it is happening )

I can not answer for everyone, but I am interested in this.....

And I am also smart enough to know the difference between real reports of things, and hoax / viral videos on youtube yes.gif

I really do not know the thought process of people anymore.........

Please do not turn this thread into that viral / hoax / sounds across the world thread.......There are all ready a couple of those here.

Can we please let this one topic stay focused on reality?............

I drink Guinness when I watch the Packers and barf in the toilet thank you very much.

Kidding.

But really, you should come here and say that.

Haha it's okay, there's not much of a difference between MI and WI. :P

And yeah, I never had any doubts that it was anything other than a natural phenomenon. But the fact that it's not a very well known or documented one, makes it just as interesting to me as anything paranormal.

Just having a little fun with everyone. I've spent 29 of my 32 years in Wisconsin and I've poked plenty of fun at my drunk Packer-fan friends!

Is it finished? No news from Clintonville?

Pah.

Authorities solve the mystery of town's odd noises, shaking

Clintonville, Wisconsin (CNN) -- The mystery behind four days of unexplained shaking and odd sounds rattling Clintonville, Wisconsin, has been solved.

The cause? A "swarm" of minor earthquakes amplified by the unique bedrock beneath the state of Wisconsin.

The strange sounds -- variously described as rattling pipes, clanging metal, thunder or firecrackers -- have continued on and off since early Sunday night in just one part of the small town of 4,600, located about 180 miles northeast of Madison. They were loud enough Monday morning that a CNN journalist could hear them during a cell phone conversation with city administrator Lisa Kuss............................................................................................................... Continued here : http://www.cnn.com/2...uake/index.html

Edited by Sakari

Cheers.

I was hoping it would be something unique. Oh well, at least it was real.

Cheers.

I was hoping it would be something unique. Oh well, at least it was real.

:yes::tu:

I`m afraid the USGS is grasping for straws in the explaintion for these sounds in Wis that were heard on Sunday and Monday, claiming it was from a tiny earthquake that happen the following Tuseday. Yet in the CNN report it said-

U.S. Geological Survey records show no seismic activity anywhere in Wisconsin Sunday or Monday.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/19/us/wisconsin-noises/index.html

These weirds sounds are heard all over the world and gee I have heard them. Sorry but its not a explaination for me.

Edited by docyabut2

I`m afraid the USGS is grasping for straws in the explaintion for these sounds in Wis that were heard on Sunday and Monday, claiming it was from a tiny earthquake that happen the following Tuseday These weirds sounds are heard all over the world and gee I have heard them. Sorry but its not a explaination for me.

And your credentials with Geology versus the USGS ?

They explained the sounds in Wisconsin.......

This thread is about the sounds in Wisconsin.....

The " other sounds " are a viral / hoax / faked / boring videos on youtube.......Than gullible people that believe them hear a sound and their first thought is they are hearing some paranormal, end of the world, alien technology, whatever it is sound......

No way, it can't be explained THAT EASILY..........I would rather find the hardest thing to believe, and least likely thing for it to be, and go with that.......

aldous_huxley_facts_do_not_cease_to_exist_tshirt-p235798077504948548scdr_400.jpg

This topic is solved, needs to be closed before it turns into a 5th sounds around youtube topic, or a conspiracy theory thread........

Well, I wouldn't rule out any possibilities. Scientists have yet come up with a solid conclusion or concrete explanation of these sounds. They do speculate that due to the earth's extra activity recently it could be a natural phenomena. I wouldn't be so quick to judge that its extraterrestrial or its Aliens etc; It could be anything. What I would like to point out is that it is odd there is no historic record of this phenomena ever recorded prior to these recent events?

That was also my question to, the hums or roarings have only been heard since 1970,that may coincides with the artics ices breaking up.Anyone know what year the frist big ice break occured?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

It was probably the bi-yearly bigfoot migration. They travel down from Canada every year after filling up on maple syrup and tromp around the US pestering hikers and rattling trash cans.

listen to this sound its sounds just like the clanging metal noises people are hearing all over the world

And suggests the source of the sound could be a friction phenomenon of ice rubbing over land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Down_(unidentified_sound)

Just click on slow down unidentified sound

Edited by docyabut2

listen to this sound its sounds just like the clanging metal noises people are hearing all over the world

And suggests the source of the sound could be a friction phenomenon of ice rubbing over land.

http://en.wikipedia....dentified_sound)

Just click on slow down unidentified sound

This incident on THIS topic is solved, 4 replies back...........Why are you de-railing it?

There are topics for your youtube sounds around the world hoax's all ready.

Authorities solve the mystery of town's odd noises, shaking

Clintonville, Wisconsin (CNN) -- The mystery behind four days of unexplained shaking and odd sounds rattling Clintonville, Wisconsin, has been solved.

The cause? A "swarm" of minor earthquakes amplified by the unique bedrock beneath the state of Wisconsin.

The strange sounds -- variously described as rattling pipes, clanging metal, thunder or firecrackers -- have continued on and off since early Sunday night in just one part of the small town of 4,600, located about 180 miles northeast of Madison. They were loud enough Monday morning that a CNN journalist could hear them during a cell phone conversation with city administrator Lisa Kuss............................................................................................................... Continued here : http://www.cnn.com/2...uake/index.html

Edited by Sakari

Posted by a CNN poster living in Montello, WI.

This article ignores the fact that the same noises were reported in Montello WI which is 80 miles away from Clintonville. That is inconsistent with the "mini earthquake" theory. There is something we are not being told here.

The Wisconsin Rapids Tribune reports that residents have been feeling the booms for months, noting that, Several residents questioned the solution. After all, earlier that week they were told earthquakes had been ruled out as a potential cause of the sounds that shook them awake for several nights. In fact geophysics professor Clifford Thurber of the University of WI Madison casts doubt on the "mini earthquake" theory:

If it turns out it's coming from a mile or two deep, yeah, it's small earthquakes," Thurber said. But if the cause is determined to be only about 100 feet deep, then something else is happening, he said," adding that more research needs to be conducted.

Edited by NiteMarcher

Posted by a CNN poster living in Montello, WI.

This article ignores the fact that the same noises were reported in Montello WI which is 80 miles away from Clintonville. That is inconsistent with the "mini earthquake" theory. There is something we are not being told here.

The Wisconsin Rapids Tribune reports that residents have been feeling the booms for months, noting that, Several residents questioned the solution. After all, earlier that week they were told earthquakes had been ruled out as a potential cause of the sounds that shook them awake for several nights. In fact geophysics professor Clifford Thurber of the University of WI Madison casts doubt on the "mini earthquake" theory:

If it turns out it's coming from a mile or two deep, yeah, it's small earthquakes," Thurber said. But if the cause is determined to be only about 100 feet deep, then something else is happening, he said," adding that more research needs to be conducted.

This is going to give ma a annurism........

The above is being used to suggest the USGS is wrong........The new authority in this : = A CNN anonymous poster

Hmmmmm, listen to the experts in this field or some joe blows posting videos on youtube, and replying on the internet......

For God's sake people, really?

tell-the-world.gif

The sounds all over the world could be from the ices breaking up in the artics and rubbing together.Most of the reports are around large bodies of water, ocean/seas.I believe sounds travels faster in water.Look at this crack in the antarctic, its like one big earthquake.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1481040210001/fly-through-the-pine-island-glacier-rift?intcmp=features

Edited by docyabut2

This is going to give ma a annurism........

Even if the sounds in Wisconsin have been explained it doesn't mean people can't continue to discuss similar incidents or offer alternative theories. If you are really bothered that much by people still discussing this then it might be time to step away from the thread.

Just having a little fun with everyone. I've spent 29 of my 32 years in Wisconsin and I've poked plenty of fun at my drunk Packer-fan friends!

I know. :P I realize we can be a rowdy and overzealous lot when it comes to our Packers. I'm just one of the few who watch the games without getting hammered. :P

I realize it's been solved as earthquakes but I'm still curious as to what other natural phenomenon could cause similar events. I know I've never been in an earthquake but the sounds I heard just seemed different from what an earthquake would be. What caused the metal clanking noises? Because those were most prominent when I heard it. And I'm not saying that to derail that it was an earthquake, I'm just honestly wondering. Like, would it have been some metal structure in the town being disturbed by the earthquakes?

Posted by a CNN poster living in Montello, WI

This article ignores the fact that the same noises were reported in Montello WI which is 80 miles away from Clintonville. That is inconsistent with the "mini earthquake" theory. There is something we are not being told here.[/size][/font]

*Facepalm* Sound waves and other non-audible vibrations propagate omnidirectionally. That's why they refer to quakes having an epicenter. Obviously if they were from a quake, they were from the same one.

Same think for the "Ice crack" story, real or not. Barring acoustic shadows and the like, why aren't they being heard all around the arctic circle and beyond unilaterally? I'm only one degree south of Clintonville's position in latitude here in NY. (69 miles) Why am I not hearing the sounds or reports of the sounds from further north? The closest I've heard were a few dull booms which were almost certainly artillery practice from the local army base 30 miles north of me, which we get with some frequency.

Even if the sounds in Wisconsin have been explained it doesn't mean people can't continue to discuss similar incidents or offer alternative theories. If you are really bothered that much by people still discussing this then it might be time to step away from the thread.

Yes, I was being sarcastic about the annurism.Kind of another way of saying " facepalm ", or using one of those smilies over there to the right......I meant because some people refuse to listen to facts, or answers.

Not bothered by people discussing it, although I and others have been warned to stay on topic, and I have had topics closed for the same reason.....After a while, new people will come in and not see that the topic did have a answer because it is buried behind discussions of other sounds that have their own topics, and then I will have a annurism. :)

Edited by Sakari

It was probably the bi-yearly bigfoot migration. They travel down from Canada every year after filling up on maple syrup and tromp around the US pestering hikers and rattling trash cans.

Plausible. :P

This theory gets my vote. ;)

What caused the metal clanking noises? Because those were most prominent when I heard it. And I'm not saying that to derail that it was an earthquake, I'm just honestly wondering. Like, would it have been some metal structure in the town being disturbed by the earthquakes?

I already told you! *sigh*

Tis Disney Dwarves. Those are the sounds of those little picks they use. They are escaping and unless you are "Snow White", you're in trouble. lol

*Facepalm* Sound waves and other non-audible vibrations propagate omnidirectionally. That's why they refer to quakes having an epicenter. Obviously if they were from a quake, they were from the same one.

Same think for the "Ice crack" story, real or not. Barring acoustic shadows and the like, why aren't they being heard all around the arctic circle and beyond unilaterally? I'm only one degree south of Clintonville's position in latitude here in NY. (69 miles) Why am I not hearing the sounds or reports of the sounds from further north? The closest I've heard were a few dull booms which were almost certainly artillery practice from the local army base 30 miles north of me, which we get with some frequency.

The hums or roarings sounds

Researchers from the USArray Earthscope have tracked down a series of infrasonic humming noises produced by waves crashing together and thence into the ocean floor, off the North-West coast of the USA. Potentially, sound from these collisions could travel to many parts of the globe.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

If researchers can claim the hums sounds could travel to many parts of the globe from waves crashing together, why not the ices crashing with land or breaking up and the sounds travel through the waters under the artics.

Updated:

Updated March 23: The U.S. Geological Survey has reported that the mysterious booms that shook the town of Clintonville, Wis., were the result of a 1.5-magnitude earthquake. Although not a huge event, the earthquake caused a swarm of several small quakes in a short time. Paul Caruso, a geophysicist from the USGS, told the local Fox News affiliate that most people wouldn't normally feel a 1.5-magnitude earthquake, but that the rock in Wisconsin is very old and well consolidated, allowing residents to feel otherwise sensitive rumblings. via Fox11

http://news.discovery.com/human/mysterious-booms-plague-wisconsin-town-120322.html

Updated:

Updated March 23: The U.S. Geological Survey has reported that the mysterious booms that shook the town of Clintonville, Wis., were the result of a 1.5-magnitude earthquake. Although not a huge event, the earthquake caused a swarm of several small quakes in a short time. Paul Caruso, a geophysicist from the USGS, told the local Fox News affiliate that most people wouldn't normally feel a 1.5-magnitude earthquake, but that the rock in Wisconsin is very old and well consolidated, allowing residents to feel otherwise sensitive rumblings. via Fox11

http://news.discover...own-120322.html

Yup, just as I predicted.......

This has been posted about 2 pages back, but buried......