Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Our Souls Are In Our Eyes, Psychologists Say

Still Waters

As the cheesy pickup line suggests, your eyes may really be the window to your soul. According to a new study by Yale University psychologists, most people intuitively feel as if their "self" — otherwise known as their soul, or ego — exists in or near their eyes.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Well in this article,I would think the eyes are so near the brain,its why they reflect conciousness ?

But once again,modern medicine figures out something the Chinese knew 4000 years ago !

In Chinese medicine,our soul is called the shen.

It's not exactly the same definition as soul,but more like our personality and what type of person we are,is determined by our shen.

The shen likes to reside in the heart,but its state is reflected in our eyes.

So to look into the eyes,is to see into our heart and soul.

Medical inferences are made by looking into the eyes as well.

Disturbed shen makes the eyes look askew,or dull.

This is easily noted in people with psychological disorders.Their eyes never look right.

If someone's eyes seem off to you,keep walking .

http://www.sacredlotus.com/theory/shen.cfm

• Like 2

If someone's eyes seem off to you,keep walking .

What about people with a lazy eye. B)

I've always beleived that to be at least partially true.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who beleives in it.

I think our conscious resides behind our eyes and between our ears, because our brain is there.

• Like 1

I think our conscious resides behind our eyes and between our ears, because our brain is there.

And I would think that the brain and consciosuness are two diffrent things working together.

How close do you have to be to look at someones eyes ? I suggest facial expression,ie:- scowl,smile,eye brows up/down,mouth etc rather than eyes which maybe behind spectacles,or sun glasses,but body language also tells how a person reacts to different situations.

How close do you have to be to look at someones eyes ? I suggest facial expression,ie:- scowl,smile,eye brows up/down,mouth etc rather than eyes which maybe behind spectacles,or sun glasses,but body language also tells how a person reacts to different situations.

True bud. Ive been on the frontline, so to speak, of judging people 'instantly' at times, I can always see the eyes and what they 'want' to do, buts its the body language that lets me know...what they 'will' do..

True bud. Ive been on the frontline, so to speak, of judging people 'instantly' at times, I can always see the eyes and what they 'want' to do, buts its the body language that lets me know...what they 'will' do..

Spot on mate,my last job involved studying people carefully,and you could literally tell within a couple of seconds whether they were being truthfull...or trying it on...and if they were "God help them"...Keep grinning ha ha ,

Spot on mate,my last job involved studying people carefully,and you could literally tell within a couple of seconds whether they were being truthfull...or trying it on...and if they were "God help them"...Keep grinning ha ha ,

:tu:

Anyone interested in this article should read a book called "Human Behaviour" by Desmond Morris,very interesting on how Humans react to various situations...the chapter on eyes is very good,eg:- if you meet a person and they like you their eyes will dilate slightly,they cannot help it,and the reverse happens if they take a dislike,it works try it out,but not on your Mrs when youve had a pint.....yeehaaa

:tu:

Sing when you're winning ,you only sing when you're winning,hee hee I sing all the time except in the presence of the Mrs,then I'm quiet or maybe its Black eye time ha ha .....

My eyes are really nice.

I just thought I'd tell you all this.

My eyes are really nice.

I just thought I'd tell you all this.

Ha ha ,I said to my Mrs "Look into my eyes and tell me what you see".She said "Well I see blue in the middle surrounded by a kinda off white,and little red wiggley things,(veins ???)...I hope they wernt moving....but at least I can see about 25 light years distance,thats how far the average Human eye can see ,so says the boffins..

How can you tell an Irish Pirate ?....Well they have a patch on each eye....Duh !!!!

well actually,there is an alleged science to interpreting someones thoughts.

Id have to look it up,but i learned it in school,and i swear judge Judy uses it.

The premise is,we look a certain direction with our eyes,depending upon what we are thinking ,in a certain specific frame of reference.

For instance,when we think about something new,or unknown to us,our eyes gravitate to looking up and to the left i believe .

If we think about the past,our eyes gravitate up and to the right .

I think those are the right directions .

So say someone is confronted about say a lie,or court case situation.

They are asked,'what happened on such and such a day?'

If they lie,they look up and to the right,to recall the actual incident,but then to make up the lie,instead of telling what they actually recalled,they look up and to the left,to make up something totally new .

So their eyes might go back and forth a few times,to get it all out,which is where the phenom "shifty eyes" must originate .

Numerous times,while watching judge Judy,she tells defendants to look up at her directly ,and i realized it was to SEE what their eyes are doing .Im sure she uses this to tell if someone is lying .

Let me see if i can find an link about it .

Here

http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies_eyes.php

Edited by missymoo999

Hmmm, well I do think there is some truth in it.... :/ cause afta all, if you really look into your own eyes, it can get very scary!

Sing when you're winning ,you only sing when you're winning,hee hee I sing all the time except in the presence of the Mrs,then I'm quiet or maybe its Black eye time ha ha .....

hehehe I got my ex GF one of those mood rings. It worked really well! When she was in a good mood it turned blue, when she was relaxed and chilled it went green...but whenever I pished her off it left a bright red mark on my forehead

well actually,there is an alleged science to interpreting someones thoughts.

Id have to look it up,but i learned it in school,and i swear judge Judy uses it.

The premise is,we look a certain direction with our eyes,depending upon what we are thinking ,in a certain specific frame of reference.

For instance,when we think about something new,or unknown to us,our eyes gravitate to looking up and to the left i believe .

If we think about the past,our eyes gravitate up and to the right .

I think those are the right directions .

So say someone is confronted about say a lie,or court case situation.

They are asked,'what happened on such and such a day?'

If they lie,they look up and to the right,to recall the actual incident,but then to make up the lie,instead of telling what they actually recalled,they look up and to the left,to make up something totally new .

So their eyes might go back and forth a few times,to get it all out,which is where the phenom "shifty eyes" must originate .

Numerous times,while watching judge Judy,she tells defendants to look up at her directly ,and i realized it was to SEE what their eyes are doing .Im sure she uses this to tell if someone is lying .

Let me see if i can find an link about it .

Here

http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies_eyes.php

I learned all that when I studied NLP, (became a certified practitioner too) one of my other passions/hobbies. The eye movements to some extent can be controlled by someone who practices, but usually they make micro movements anyway that are far too quick and unconscious to control.

For the eyes, in truth, are the only part of the brain that we can all see, (true)... and they literally move to the direction or part of the brain that deals with whatever event it is they experience, even with memories, fascinating stuff.

Tho it can be reversed depending on whether a person is right or left handed

hehehe I got my ex GF one of those mood rings. It worked really well! When she was in a good mood it turned blue, when she was relaxed and chilled it went green...but whenever I pished her off it left a bright red mark on my forehead

Haha! Sounds like you p***ed her off very often

:w00t: well, I did say ex GF!!!

HAHAHA!!! Sorry for misunderstanding :3 But she did sound kinda like a b**** :P

HAHAHA!!! Sorry for misunderstanding :3 But she did sound kinda like a b**** :P

No worries!!

Actually she called me short while ago, completely outta the blue, and said "Come round quickly pls, no-ones in"

After a quick shower and racing round there...

she was right, no-one was in!

Bummer

I can understand why people say the soul is in the eyes, because, obviously that's how we see the world, and our inner monologue and self awareness goes on just behind them, in a sense. Wonder what a blind person would say if you asked them where they felt their soul was located?