Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Our Souls Are In Our Eyes, Psychologists Say

Still Waters

Pretty interesting actually. When I went through my Wicklander interrogation training we spent an entire week learning the subtle differences in eye movements when a person lies, is recalling memory, creating images and so on. So, by judging body movements, watching the eyes while the subject answers a number of precise and methodical questions, we can ascertain with great probability deception and a number of other items.

Good article!

well actually,there is an alleged science to interpreting someones thoughts.

Id have to look it up,but i learned it in school,and i swear judge Judy uses it.

The premise is,we look a certain direction with our eyes,depending upon what we are thinking ,in a certain specific frame of reference.

For instance,when we think about something new,or unknown to us,our eyes gravitate to looking up and to the left i believe .

If we think about the past,our eyes gravitate up and to the right .

I think those are the right directions .

So say someone is confronted about say a lie,or court case situation.

They are asked,'what happened on such and such a day?'

If they lie,they look up and to the right,to recall the actual incident,but then to make up the lie,instead of telling what they actually recalled,they look up and to the left,to make up something totally new .

So their eyes might go back and forth a few times,to get it all out,which is where the phenom "shifty eyes" must originate .

Numerous times,while watching judge Judy,she tells defendants to look up at her directly ,and i realized it was to SEE what their eyes are doing .Im sure she uses this to tell if someone is lying .

Let me see if i can find an link about it .

Here

http://www.blifaloo....o/lies_eyes.php

I watch Judge Judy and I dont think she has "Eagles eyesight" as she also wears glasses to read ,but she certainly watches peoples body language,and is a good judge of character,but I think she also gets it wrong occasionally,if you happen to mention that you have a dog,,you have practically won the case.

I watch Judge Judy and I dont think she has "Eagles eyesight" as she also wears glasses to read ,but she certainly watches peoples body language,and is a good judge of character,but I think she also gets it wrong occasionally,if you happen to mention that you have a dog,,you have practically won the case.

As opposed to crossing your arms or putting your hands in your pockets. ^_^

Now that I've said it,you will notice it when she says to them,look at me,I want to see your eyes.She says it a lot.

Doesn't matter if she wears glasses.She can read body language,but I think she's reading their eyes too.Just my opinion on it.

No worries!!

Actually she called me short while ago, completely outta the blue, and said "Come round quickly pls, no-ones in"

After a quick shower and racing round there...

she was right, no-one was in!

Bummer

HAHAHAHAHAH!!! You've been trolled!

I'm not going to say yes and won't say no either. But I will say this, for myself, if I look into your eyes and don't like what I see, that person will know right off the bat that I have no intentions of carrying on a conversation with them. Yes, those eyes do tell a story....

No eyes = no soul? Awww.

When a society loses its understanding of metaphor, its creativity is declining...

The article is saying that which we perceive to be the inner emotions of the person is revealed through the eyes..

If you look into a person's eyes and sense "rage", or "discomfort" you know to stay away...

If you look into a person's eyes and sense "joy", "attraction" you know you can converse with them...

What about people with a lazy eye. B)

Has anyone you know (BORN) with a lazy eye, hurt your in any shape form or fashion?

Edited by Tinker6785ab

• 3 weeks later...

cool.

No eyes = no soul? Awww.

gotta hate being excluded haha

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

When a society loses its understanding of metaphor, its creativity is declining...

The article is saying that which we perceive to be the inner emotions of the person is revealed through the eyes..

If you look into a person's eyes and sense "rage", or "discomfort" you know to stay away...

If you look into a person's eyes and sense "joy", "attraction" you know you can converse with them...

.........So, when people look into my eyes and tell me they see an endless abyss, or that they see death when they look into my eyes, or that I have no soul, or that they can't look me in the eye because it instils in them a seance of dread, terror, fear and gives them the chills. (Visibly shudder after looking into my eyes)

That "You must be an unhappy person."

"When I first met you, you looked like death warmed over."

"I was afraid to talk to you for years, because I thought you where a serial killer."

"I've served in the armed forces and received thousand yard stairs with more life in them than you."

"Your eyes are creepy"

"Even after knowing you all these years, you always make me feel like you want to kill me when I look at your eyes."

"Stay away from me! Anyone with eyes like yours is trouble!"

"Mommy! That man has devil eyes!" (Followed by a crowd of people that all calling out heathen and devil worshiper, etc.)(Even had a priest throw holy water on me and try to preform an exorcism.)

The only members of my family that will look me in the eye for any length of time are and where, my great grand mother and father from my mothers side of the family, and my grand mother and grandfather from my fathers side of the family, my uncle from my mothers side, father, half brother and only one of my three sisters.

I work hard, pay my taxes, open the door for ladies, say yes sir/mam, no sir/mam, please, thank you, don't curs or swear, don't drink, smoke, commit debauchery or other lewd acts,

Mind my own business, for the most part, save for when people are doing something stupid that will get me killed along with them. (Opening a pure hydrogen fuel cell in an Oxygen rich environment, FYI for you non-science folks, that equals an explosion, that could take out half the building and needs to be stopped before that happens, or lifting a two tone cooling unit off a fellow employee, My uncles car off him....several times. (DON"T USE CINDER BLOCKS TO HOLD UP A CAR PEOPLE.) But short of that I mind my own business.

So, am I a soulless person? A serial killer? A solder? Emotionally distressed person? Unhealthy?..........Just because of my eyes?!?!?!?

What the heck!?!

Doesn't sound fair to me.

Please explain this phenomenon.......IN DETAIL.

i knew there was a bloody reason why I always wear sun glasses when I am out in public...

i don't want anyone to look into my soul...

• Like 1

So if I read the article right, it's perception that is analagous to the Soul and not the eyes per say...seems an exercise in semantics more than anything...

• Like 1

From the article:

"It is also worth noting that the part of the brain in which self-awareness is thought to arise, called the ventromedial prefrontal cortex, happens to be located behind the eyes. It is possible, Burton said, that we may "feel" as if we are physically located near our eyes because our identity emerges in the neurons there."

I'd agree with that, I intuitively feel that's where my awareness rises as well.

So it isn't really "in the eyes" as the thread title says, it's behind the eyes, in the "ventromedial prefrontal cortex" in the brain.

If one's eyes are surgically removed, there is still self awareness, but if one's ventromedial prefrontal cortex is removed, that's likely when self awareness would end.

Or would it? I wonder what kind of experiments have been done over the years with regards to surgery on this area and others in an attempt to find out.

• Like 1

Its maybe one of the reasons that poker players where those shades to hide there eyes :tsu:

I would be hesitant to agree with this,there are people that are naturally nervous and their eye movements may look like they are lying or being deceptive.I would concede that emotions may be expressed through the eyes to some extent,although ,personally I find the face a theater of expression.Depending on the situation when I am angry,I may have an odd smile of anticipation,or you might see my eyes change color as the muscles in my jaw knot up,or just a cold heat being emitted and the tone of my voice.For the most part I am usually smiling and easy going so for many people I don't really appear to be an emotional person.

I am more inclined to make judgments about others by their mannerisms,if they express themselves in certain ways I become wary of them and watch and listen closely without letting my caution show,allow them to reveal themselves.I come from a small city and the first time that I went to a large city 1mil. pop. when I was 17 I could smell the fear in people as I walked down the street and I came from a rough and tumble place.But none of those things reveal anything about the soul,they are relative to the character of the person.

jmccr8

• 1 month later...

It's not just about the physical appearance of ones eyes-- :cry:--it's more like what's beneath, beyond--or more less a reflection of what lays within an individual--a sort of knowing, feeling and being able to recognize that which lurks much deeper than just what one is physically seeing when looking into another's eyes. It is the covering, the lenses-- :w00t: And as for those who cannot see, their hearing is elevated and much more pronounced than you or I--a gift

in a sense that not all will come to understand...

Edited by NiteMarcher

Mine eyes have seen the Glory of the coming of the Lord ,

I look into your eyes and what do I see, they look all bloodshot with little veins due to too much smoking and drinking .

How many psychologists even know what 'soul' is anyway ?

A.. Not many! ... Even the Jungian's !

I have a couple of books lamenting the trend of Jungian psychologists to 'modify away from' Jung's concepts of 'soul' .... written by other Jungian psychologists.