Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ticket to Mars Will Cost $500,000

Still Waters

Serial entrepreneur Elon Musk says SpaceX is developing a plan for trips to Mars that will eventually cost just $500,000 per seat. Musk founded SpaceX 10 years ago and interplanetary travel has always been one of his goals for the company. Few details were provided about the Martian voyage, but Musk did say we can expect to hear more about the plan in less than a year.

The bargain basement price for a trip to Mars also highlights Musk’s main effort behind SpaceX, to bring down the cost of delivering a payload — human or cargo — into space. In an interview with the BBC, Musk acknowledged the first seats won’t be selling for $500,000. It will take a while to get down to that price. But Musk says the half-million dollar ticket could happen a decade after trips begin.

“Land on Mars, a round-trip ticket — half a million dollars. It can be done,” he told the BBC.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bouncer

• JayMark

• Eldorado

• spud the mackem

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Meh...

You could tour the world having a ball for that amount. If you're a billionaire though, why not. One night when there's nowt on TV.

Wait...

You tell me people are dying of starvation, dehydration and from pollution daily and these clowns are already thinking about offering half a million dollar tickets to Mars???

Damn, what is wrong with people?

Still cheaper than a 1st-Class rail ticket from London to Edinburgh!

Wait...

You tell me people are dying of starvation, dehydration and from pollution daily and these clowns are already thinking about offering half a million dollar tickets to Mars???

So you never take a holiday, have no luxuries and give all your spare cash to charity? Or is that something you only expect other people to do?

It is people like Musk that dragged us out of the caves, gave us science and technology and helped us become the most successful species on the planet. I suspect that those that sat inside the cave asking, " what is wrong with these people?" became extinct.

It is precisely BECAUSE this planet is so fragile that, if we are to survive as a species indefinitely, we need to be able to move to other planets. Musk is helping make that possible. It is because of those with foresight, not the naysayers, that we have some hope of a future.

"Musk acknowledged the first seats won’t be selling for $500,000. It will take a while to get down to that price. But Musk says the half-million dollar ticket could happen a decade after trips begin".

And the trips wont even begin for decades. Its just hype. besides what will the trip accomplish? Months in space with aggravating passengers next to you? (think long haul plane flights)...then to get there, have a look, and return? Well for any more than 4 people aboard, just think of the food/water needed...

nah... :no:

Edited by bouncer

"Musk acknowledged the first seats won’t be selling for $500,000. It will take a while to get down to that price. But Musk says the half-million dollar ticket could happen a decade after trips begin".

And the trips wont even begin for decades. Its just hype. besides what will the trip accomplish? Months in space with aggravating passengers next to you? (think long haul plane flights)...then to get there, have a look, and return? Well for any more than 4 people aboard, just think of the food/water needed...

I guess it would be nice to get off this planet for a time,whilst you're still alive,because the only other way is through a curtain in a box,ha ha getting there but not yet...

nothing - the spirit of exploration is part of what makes a human human.

nothing - the spirit of exploration is part of what makes a human human.

Hiya,I see your point ,but what would you do if you had a couple of million dollars,that gets you about $24000 a month interest !,You would have a look around just for something to amuse you,and you wouldnt go to work on a bus....It seems to me that people who have money always want another million,so you have all this cash and nothing to spend it on,and up pops a trip to Mars...Have I answered your question ?...

Hiya,I see your point ,but what would you do if you had a couple of million dollars,that gets you about $24000 a month interest !,You would have a look around just for something to amuse you,and you wouldnt go to work on a bus....It seems to me that people who have money always want another million,so you have all this cash and nothing to spend it on,and up pops a trip to Mars...Have I answered your question ?...

If I had the dough and the travel was a possibility Id do it. Id love too. But its months in space and for any space adventure, astronauts are rigorously tested, specially on a psychological level, as to HOW they deal with being confined, and with each other and lots of other things too.

Its not as simple as strangers getting on a bus, with windows to look out of..we are talking of months in space, youd have to have the 'right' set of people so theres no-one having a major freak out on the way and being a risk to the mission...

I think we all prolly dream and want to go in space...but I dont know even if I could pass this simple test requirement...g-force

Edited by bouncer

Wait...

Money, essentially. That's what is wrong with people. I would love to travel to Mars. :-)

Edited by Alienated Being

Wait...

Ok, I will feed the troll :)

First, please explain how people are dying from starvation, dehydration, and pollution and how this in any way relates to tickets to Mars -OR- admit this was just meant to be an ambiguous, dramatic, statement meant to feed your ego, reduce your guilt, and make you feel superior to everyone who sees things differently than you do :)

Second, Here is your tagline: "There is nothing else that exists but Counsciousness itself."

I will not touch the fact that you use this to identify yourself and cannot even spell Consciousness correctly :) My main point would be that if you really and truly believe this then why comment? Can you even begin to explain the contradiction between your absurd comment and your tagline?

Edited by JonathanDoe

lol... If we survive the Singularity in a few decades it will not really be our bodies that go. It will be our uploaded counterparts and machines :) The flight will be in a matchbox size spacecraft with thousands of us living in a virtual environment. Why bother sending meat?

So you never take a holiday, have no luxuries and give all your spare cash to charity? Or is that something you only expect other people to do?

I do what I can given what I have from the bottom of my heart. I have helped perhaps hundreads of people with addiction problems free of charges and using my own time and energy. Yes, I expect others people to help their peers as well if they can. But they are free, just like I am. I can't force anybody and won't necessarly "hate them" for that.

It is people like Musk that dragged us out of the caves, gave us science and technology and helped us become the most successful species on the planet. I suspect that those that sat inside the cave asking, " what is wrong with these people?" became extinct.

Agreed on the first part. But the notion of beeing the most successful species on the planet is purely subjective. The "what is wrong with these people" wasen't in any way related to science itself or these scientists in particular, just the general "idea" (more than just a trip to Mars).

It is precisely BECAUSE this planet is so fragile that, if we are to survive as a species indefinitely, we need to be able to move to other planets. Musk is helping make that possible. It is because of those with foresight, not the naysayers, that we have some hope of a future.

Working in the environemental area, I can assure you that the planet is not so fragile to begin with. It dosen't exists because there is life on it. The living entities on it are the fragile ones and we (humans) are certainly not the strongest. Diffrence is we have much more freedom. If species like us are facing an environmental threat, it is mainly because of our activity and because too many care more about luxury, material, going on Mars to chill out and about their own bellies. Not everyone I concur. And not always abusively I also concur. It's not just about the trip to Mars. It's the whole thing. But that's my view, if you don't share it, it's not like I'm going to get mad at you you know.

So what I really think (that is the main point of my message) is that before thinking about moving the population to other planets or offer trips to them we should simply concentrate our efforts in helping the current situation which is not happening fast enough so far. We could do a lot better. That all depends on the choises we make today.

I seriously don't think there could be such a thing as moving the world's population on another planet before climate changes irradiates most of the living speicies on the planet if we keep going like this. It's only a question of priority to me. Helping the current environmental situation could give us more time to find other alternatives such as finding a "sister planet". So before thinking about living indefinitely, why not trying to save people that exists at this present moment and try to preserve all terrestrial lifeforms as long as we can? Without this planet and it's other lifeforms, we wouldn't exist.

I hope it clarifies things a bit. The idea is cool. It's just that I don't think it is a necessity at all in regards to our situation. But that's what I think.

Peace bro.

Edited by JayMark

Ok, I will feed the troll :)

I already wrote a message. Read it. Right before this one.

I feel anger and frustration in your message.

First, please explain how people are dying from starvation, dehydration, and pollution

I don't need to explain that. If you don't see the link between those three things and human activity, then I guess we don't live on the same planet. I thought people would understant what I meant. If someone for an example gets lost in the desert and dies of dehydration, well it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

this was just meant to be an ambiguous, dramatic, statement meant to feed your ego, reduce your guilt, and make you feel superior to everyone who sees things differently than you do

I'm not implying that I am superior in any way nor did I attack anybody's beleif. At all. It seems that you have a hard time with my reply and interpret it to suit your own agenda which has nothing to do with the meaning of my message. Why not asking me to elaborate before making such assumptions?

I will not touch the fact that you use this to identify yourself and cannot even spell Consciousness correctly

If you think I identify myself with a simple tagline on a single message board over the web, I feel that you perhaps have a very strange (or simply diffrent) way of interpreting people not to say "judge them". Also, you may not know that english is not my first language. If this and my tagline pose a problem to you, at least have the decency of not using it as a mere attemp to discredit my words and/or attack me.

My main point would be that if you really and truly believe this then why comment? Can you even begin to explain the contradiction between your absurd comment and your tagline?

The only contradiction between the tagline and my comment is the one you choose to see. Since you don't seem to understand what I mean by both things, I hardly see how you can see a contradiction there.

I have no problem in discussing my views and beleifs and don't mind at all if people don't agree. I just have a problem with people jumping on me before even trying to understand my point the way you did. But you know, it's part of the game and it won't prevent me to sleep tonight. ;)

Peace anyways.

Edited by JayMark

"First, please explain how people are dying from starvation, dehydration, and pollution"

I don't need to explain that. If you don't see the link between those three things and human activity, then I guess we don't live on the same planet.

Nice job editing for spin!! What I actually wrote was "First, please explain how people are dying from starvation, dehydration, and pollution and how this in any way relates to tickets to Mars" but, hey, apparently you see what you want to see... /gasp!!!

You mentioned that you work with addicts for free out of the kindness of your heart in another post. That is very commendable but I do not see the correlation between that and tickets to Mars. Enlighten me oh Masterful One for I do not understand!

If this and my tagline pose a problem to you, at least have the decency of not using it as a mere attemp to discredit my words and/or attack me.

I do not have any issue with your tag line. I really like it and firmly believe it. I just found your message to be contradictory to your professed core philosophy. If it is not part of your core philosophy then why put it out there like that?

The only contradiction between the tagline and my comment is the one you choose to see. Since you don't seem to understand what I mean by both things, I hardly see how you can see a contradiction there.

/sigh Again with the superiority complex!!!

I just have a problem with people jumping on me before even trying to understand my point the way you did. But you know, it's part of the game and it won't prevent me to sleep tonight. ;)

Peace anyways.

I do understand your point. People should not spend the money on tickets to Mars. Organizations should not be putting effort towards trips to Mars. Those resources should be entirely focused on ending hunger, reducing pollution, and making sure people do not die from thirst. Am I incorrect?

So the research that goes into the technology that would enable a trip to and a stay on Mars would not help develop or enhance technology that could be used to provide people with the opportunity live healthier? It would not help technologies like solar that would reduce carbon emissions?

I already wrote a message. Read it. Right before this one.

Ok, I will

I do what I can given what I have from the bottom of my heart. I have helped perhaps hundreads of people with addiction problems free of charges and using my own time and energy. Yes, I expect others people to help their peers as well if they can. But they are free, just like I am. I can't force anybody and won't necessarly "hate them" for that.

Ahh, so you are not judgmental except when you are... You sly dog... Please answer this for me.

When is it enough? Do I have to give everything? Can I spend money on my kids? How about my wife? Can I drive a decent car? At what point do you "not necessarily" not hate me?

You do realize that we will always be an impact on the environment. We can and should reduce it however it will always be there.

You do realize there will always be hunger. We can and should reduce it however it will always be there.

You do realize there will always be poverty. We can and should reduce it however it will always be there.

So again, when is enough enough? Given these problems will never be completely resolved do we all just drop everything and focus on them?

I believe that your attitude is classified as simple minded, smug, and judgmental :)

I will gladly reply next week as I've gotta go now.

Until then, I wish you a nice week-end.

Peace.

...sigh....

Time to get out the checkbook.

even deeper sigh...I'll have to wait till pay day 2 weeks tomorrow..

I'll spot you 500,000. It's only money, right!? tongue.gif

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to weep silently and dream of a redder place.crying.gif

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Hi y'all,If ya fancy getting out your "check" (cheque) books ,I'm a deserving charity,Oh Sahib, I have 3 wives and 16 chilren,and no work,and the gov't gives me free housing and chilrens benefit ,which I spend in the booking shop on slow runners,so I am always very unhappy as I give all my chilrens fameely allowance to horses who are very slow,and my chilren starve and my wives have to work in the night clubs oh dear ...Alms sahib,I willpay you back nex chrissmass,honest....

i wouldn't go even if it was free.

so many things i could think of doing that would interest me far more.

How much for going to the moon?

I'd rather go to the moon than Mars. Sit on a deck chair, have a beer and watch our Earth for a few hours. :)

Edited by Eldorado