Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Flashing UFO Caught on UK Skywatch

bouncer

And for once, a steady cam on a tripod recording the sky... this does look a bit strange..

A mysterious, flashing UFO was caught on video by UK Skywatch. What is it?

The unidentified flying object, when lit, looks like any other star in the background of a time-lapse video of the night sky over the UK. But, unlike any other object nearby, this one flashes on and off at roughly one-minute intervals.

Such behavior is commonly caught on tape by known aircraft making its way through the sky. But this UFO blinks on and off, flashing brilliantly for just a second at a time.

News and vid here:

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981205786

My only thought is the mention of 'time-lapse', could this be a real reason it 'seems' to flash? hhmmmm

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bouncer

• TSS

• ChrLzs

• ColoradoParanormal

I don't quite get that footage...it's obviously on a fixed tripod, and slightly out of focus, but the star drift is pulled back between flashes, that suggests to me they are looping the same flash over and over.......could be wrong, hope I am...

I don't quite get that footage...it's obviously on a fixed tripod, and slightly out of focus, but the star drift is pulled back between flashes, that suggests to me they are looping the same flash over and over.......could be wrong, hope I am...

Interesting observation, I shall watch again...

SkyScanner, I've sussed it, watch the vid again, as soon as you see a genuine star... about mid-right of screen, place your mouse pointer on it and leave it alone while you watch....the stars do indeed continue moving, so not looped

SkyScanner, I've sussed it, watch the vid again, as soon as you see a genuine star... about mid-right of screen, place your mouse pointer on it and leave it alone while you watch....the stars do indeed continue moving, so not looped

Just tried it and yep you're dead right, the drift is consistent :tu:

Just tried it and yep you're dead right, the drift is consistent :tu:

so now the plot CAN thicken...wonder what the co-ords were? And wonder if skywatch will watch for it again? I know I would!!

so now the plot CAN thicken...wonder what the co-ords were? And wonder if skywatch will watch for it again? I know I would!!

I don't recognise the patch of sky off the top of my head...but I can check in the morning...I wouldn't be surprised to hear they were looking South/West though, since it's a nice view at the moment. I think the flash is more to do with a combination of out-of-focus and passing cloud cover....it looks a little more spectacular on film when it's slightly out of focus...

If no one's sussed it by morning i'll look the co-ordinates up and see what star it is!

I should add that when I said cloud cover, I obviously don't mean thick cloud or even particularly visible cloud. If you look South/west at the moment during the evening you'll see a nice bright object in our skies, watch it dim and flash brighter as the faintest of cloud passes it!

I should add that when I said cloud cover, I obviously don't mean thick cloud or even particularly visible cloud. If you look South/west at the moment during the evening you'll see a nice bright object in our skies, watch it dim and flash brighter as the faintest of cloud passes it!

tell me if you see something else please? if you watch from approx 0.12 to about 0.16..after the wotsit flashes, what looks like a meteor speeds down and to the left, extremely quick. But can that be so on time lapse? or am I bloody see things? try viewing full screen and run that time frame again and again

tell me if you see something else please? if you watch from approx 0.12 to about 0.16..after the wotsit flashes, what looks like a meteor speeds down and to the left, extremely quick. But can that be so on time lapse? or am I bloody see things? try viewing full screen and run that time frame again and again

Yeah I noticed that first time around...I think what might be happening is the term 'time lapse' has been used a little loosely here. You can see even when you leave the mouse marker fixed on a star that the drift is constant, then jumps slightly, then constant again...it's constant enough for me to think now it's not looped (after you pointed it out)..but what they might have done is be playing 1-2 seconds pre and post flash, with the time inbetween flashes time lapsed...so it's not time lapsed really, it's edited more then anything to do away with the gaps between flashes....that's my initial thought anyway...

Yeah I noticed that first time around...I think what might be happening is the term 'time lapse' has been used a little loosely here. You can see even when you leave the mouse marker fixed on a star that the drift is constant, then jumps slightly, then constant again...it's constant enough for me to think now it's not looped (after you pointed it out)..but what they might have done is be playing 1-2 seconds pre and post flash, with the time inbetween flashes time lapsed...so it's not time lapsed really, it's edited more then anything to do away with the gaps between flashes....that's my initial thought anyway...

Cool and you may be right. With a name like SkyScanner you'd have a better idea than a middle aged bouncer!!

The footage isnt the best but it does look like their could be something to it dont know what though it could be anything.

check out this video also a nightwatch.

A couple of quick observations:

'UK Skywatch' seems to be being presented as if it was some sort of offically organised skywatch program, yet it appears to just be the youtuber's moniker - there does not appear to be any such thing as UK Skywatch. What's more, his channel is locked so you can't find out what/who he is, or anything about what he is doing, with what equipment.

There is not a shred of useful information with the video - no equipment details, no settings, no time and location, no direction, etc. He has been asked for that info in the comments, but no reply. Also, the video obviously 'skips' - if it's only a minute between ob's, WHY?

I have a couple of possibilities *if it is genuine*, but frankly, given the way this was presented by the youtuber and his obvious (deliberate?) disinterest, I shall just call it FAKE. :devil: That's UK Skywatcher video FAKE (for the search engines...).

Actually, it doesn't look obviously fake (still could be), but it might as well be without any provenance or information. If UKS wants to answer the questions, come here, or do anything to help out, I'll gleefully apologise for my accusation.

By the way, the virtually unknown science of astrometry could be used to quite easily identify the starfield, but I can't be bothered given the video owner's apparent disinterest.

A couple of quick observations:

'UK Skywatch' seems to be being presented as if it was some sort of offically organised skywatch program, yet it appears to just be the youtuber's moniker - there does not appear to be any such thing as UK Skywatch. What's more, his channel is locked so you can't find out what/who he is, or anything about what he is doing, with what equipment.

There is not a shred of useful information with the video - no equipment details, no settings, no time and location, no direction, etc. He has been asked for that info in the comments, but no reply. Also, the video obviously 'skips' - if it's only a minute between ob's, WHY?

I have a couple of possibilities *if it is genuine*, but frankly, given the way this was presented by the youtuber and his obvious (deliberate?) disinterest, I shall just call it FAKE. :devil: That's UK Skywatcher video FAKE (for the search engines...).

Actually, it doesn't look obviously fake (still could be), but it might as well be without any provenance or information. If UKS wants to answer the questions, come here, or do anything to help out, I'll gleefully apologise for my accusation.

By the way, the virtually unknown science of astrometry could be used to quite easily identify the starfield, but I can't be bothered given the video owner's apparent disinterest.

Youre spot on, I thought with a name like skywatch it'd be some club/organization that does the watching but could find no website or assoc by that name either...

The footage isnt the best but it does look like their could be something to it dont know what though it could be anything.

{link deleted}

Absolutely not, thanks.

I strongly suggest anyone who sees the name 'jcattera' attached to a video should google "jcattera hoax" and have a look at the disgraceful antics of this person. Jcattera is a lowlife scammer, Nibiru/2012 supporter, as well as a proven LIAR and sockpuppeteer.

It REALLY angers me that people like him think it is funny to feed on people's fears - at several different forums I've seen young folks, those with learning difficulties and those who are just a bit naive on astronomy topics, expressing their terror at the 'coming extinction' that dirtballs like jcattera are pushing, often using footage of Jupiter and other planets and pretending it is an 'incoming'.

Ask me what I really think... :D If that scumbag had the guts to face me... well, let's just say the results would be really worthy of youtubing...

It clearly isn't a (solid) craft. Looks like NOSS satellites which then go into Earth's shadow. How did you confirm the military aircraft? What was the date/time and location?

The flashing light in the first post looks like a tumbling satellite http://www.satobs.org/tumble/tumbleintro.html sometimes they flash quite often, sometimes it takes a while for them to flash again or they might just flash once, i've seen loads of them while out doing astrophotography. You can find out what satellites are above you using this site http://www.heavens-above.com/

All the best

Jamie

If this is genuine, it's likely the now malfunctioning YAOGAN 1 SAT, which is doing just what you see in the video.

Look, bottom right of video:

By the way, what's the procedure for embedding youtube vids?

If this is genuine, it's likely the now malfunctioning YAOGAN 1 SAT, which is doing just what you see in the video.

Look, bottom right of video:

By the way, what's the procedure for embedding youtube vids?

What, you mean like the below? (your clip), I just copy and paste link and hit the enter button after pasting..

The fact that this light anomaly is stationary tells me there is a light refracting off the lens of the time lapse camera. Cars passing by maybe? If you notice, each time the earth shifts down (screen) the light flashes but on the same static point. Sorry, nothing UFO about this. It's a ULS (Unidentified Light Source)

I have not only seen this object....But as weird as I may sound, You can actually signal this light with a flashlight and it will signal BACK.... I swear to GOD. I was workong graveyards last summer when I began seeing this object. At first when you see strobe you think your eyes are playing tricks on you. But on a clear dark night sky you know that you are actally witnesing something very, very strange. When I flashed back a signal light it imediately respnnded. This went on for a couple of weeks and I finally got others to witness this phenomenon. I was transfered back to days and they say it stopped happening. I am going back to graveyard this week after 4 months onn days and Hope to see this and get footage as good as this or better..If you should happen to witness anything like this try and make contact...it is the most exciting and unbelievable thing, really, This is not a joke. I will swear under oath so help Me God.

I have not only seen this object....But as weird as I may sound, You can actually signal this light with a flashlight and it will signal BACK.... I swear to GOD. I was workong graveyards last summer when I began seeing this object. At first when you see strobe you think your eyes are playing tricks on you. But on a clear dark night sky you know that you are actally witnesing something very, very strange. When I flashed back a signal light it imediately respnnded. This went on for a couple of weeks and I finally got others to witness this phenomenon. I was transfered back to days and they say it stopped happening. I am going back to graveyard this week after 4 months onn days and Hope to see this and get footage as good as this or better..If you should happen to witness anything like this try and make contact...it is the most exciting and unbelievable thing, really, This is not a joke. I will swear under oath so help Me God.

so let me ask an obvious question, as the sky covers an awful lot of area (!)...why do you have to stand in a graveyard? I can see the moon from all over the UK, for example, I dont have to go hang round gravestones...

so let me ask an obvious question, as the sky covers an awful lot of area (!)...why do you have to stand in a graveyard? I can see the moon from all over the UK, for example, I dont have to go hang round gravestones...

There's not a whole lot of light pollution in graveyards....they make for great locations to view the night sky, albeit sometimes a little disconcerting...