Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chocolate 'may help keep people slim'

glorybebe

People who eat chocolate regularly tend to be thinner, new research suggests.

The findings come from a study of nearly 1,000 US people that looked at diet, calorie intake and body mass index (BMI) - a measure of obesity.

It found those who ate chocolate a few times a week were, on average, slimmer than those who ate it occasionally.

Even though chocolate is loaded with calories, it contains ingredients that may favour weight loss rather than fat synthesis, scientists believe.

Linky

:w00t: I am in heaven! LOL....7-11 is still open.....

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glorybebe

• libstaK

• Aus Der Box Skeptisch

• Englishgent

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to go on record and say my own experiments suggest that this is absolute rubbish :cry: . I do really, really wish it could be true tho :innocent: .

I want to go on record and say my own experiments suggest that this is absolute rubbish :cry: . I do really, really wish it could be true tho :innocent: .

Any excuse to eat chocolate works for me! I'll let you know if I still feel that way in a couple of months...:P

Any excuse to eat chocolate works for me! I'll let you know if I still feel that way in a couple of months...:P

Hehe, I'll hold out and look forward to good news then - you can let us all know what we did wrong by then :devil:

Chocolate does not make you fat.......... It shrinks clothes :)

Funny I did lose ten lbs in February when asked what I dis differently I said I ate chocolate. A large amount of chocolate. Daily in February ... now I read this... could be could be...

I've been put of chocolate for three weeks now and I think I've gained a couple pounds back... hrmmmm....

Chocolate does not make you fat.......... It shrinks clothes :)

I thought so...I am pretty sure it turns the heat up higher in the clothes dryer somehow...

I love chocolate too, but sadly I'm finding this one very difficult to believe. Chocolate contains sugar and fat...and is high in calories. But, the article does say that there might se something about chocolate that favours weight loss:

Dr Golomb and her team believe that antioxidant compounds, called catechins, can improve lean muscle mass and reduce weight - at least studies in rodents would suggest this might be so.

Mice fed for 15 days with epicatechin (present in dark chocolate) had improved exercise performance and observable changes to their muscle composition.

But, it also says:

While there's no harm in allowing yourself a treat like chocolate now and again, eating too much might be harmful because it often contains a lot of sugar and fat too.

And if you are looking to change your diet, you are likely to benefit most from eating more fresh fruits and vegetables.

So, perhaps we need to eat a really healthy diet with small amounts of chocolate verses a mega-chocolate 'pig out' kinda diet?

Eating chocolate in moderation is not that different from eating other foods. Portion control folks!

Careful with that assumption.

Sure Chocolate may help you keep slim, but note that we're talking about Cacao, not the typical chocolate bar, filled with sugars (natural or synthetic) and other crap.

Cacao is an energetic, and like coffee, it will increase your metabolism, thus burning more calories.

Hmmmm I dunno If I can beleive this

All I know is ..I was a smoker before I found I was pregnant...I knew that eating chocolate once a month brought out my relaxing happy hormones.. So Instead of smoking to feel happy and relaxed during pregnancy..I sit and eat chocolate... Not by he heap but every so often And when I do..OHHHHH SWEET LORD IT IS HEAVEN ..My baby likes it too...he kicks like crazy lol

Could chocolate have helped me give up the smoking? Well put it this way.. I cannot bare to look at ciggy smoke when pregnant.....But I can look at chocolate not a problem grin2.gif

But the slimming part and eating chocolate... I still find hard to believe

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Careful with that assumption.

Sure Chocolate may help you keep slim, but note that we're talking about Cacao, not the typical chocolate bar, filled with sugars (natural or synthetic) and other crap.

Cacao is an energetic, and like coffee, it will increase your metabolism, thus burning more calories.

Yes, sadly, it is true, the darker the chocolate the better it is for you. It is bitter, but you can aquire a taste for it!