Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Depleted Uranium Contamination:

Karlis

Depleted Uranium is used in untold number of weapons, from bullets to bombs. This article describes the "problem", but Mainstream Media generally seems to have ignored this issue.

What are the implication of this for future generations? What are your thoughts and suggestions? Please discuss.

-=-=-

Depleted Uranium Contamination: A Crime against Humanityby Dr. Arun Shrivastava

This article is part of a longer essay on Depleted Uranium weapons, nuclear reactors and their environmental health impacts.

In this article the long term consequences of radiation contamination from unilateral aggression of the US and NATO countries on South and West Asia are discussed.

Depleted Uranium or DU [1] encased bombs that have been used since 1991 by US and NATO forces knowing well that the use of DU weapons is illegal being weapons of mass destruction [WMD] and amounts to War Crimes. These weapons were used in Gulf War 1 against Iraq, then in the Balkans and later, after 9/11 events, in Afghanistan, Iraq, North Africa, Libya and now being used in Drone bombings in Pakistan.

'Depleted Uranium' has nothing depleted about it: when this potent hard metal hits a solid surface like concrete or a battle tank, the temperature at the point of impact reaches over 40000C and turns the projectile into uranium oxide gas. These gases are picked up by the wind and carried all over the world creating vast areas of secondary contamination. Based on the population within the contamination map [Map 1], over 35% of India's population received a heavy dosing of DU aerosolized uranium nano particles within months of the start of Afghan and Iraq wars. [2]

The Wind Carries these Deadly Particles and Gas

Each time southwesterly air currents rise up over North Africa and West Asia, they pick up radioactive nano particles and blow right across India. These winds also blow across the Himalayas where these particles are rained out or snowed out. These particles are carried by the perennial Himalayan Rivers irrigate the agriculture lands that feed 1.6 billion Asians.

It means that the use of depleted uranium weapons can compromise the future quality of human population and all life forms. Responsible scientists had warned that DU weapons are WMD and must not be used. Yet DU weapons are being extensively used in Afghanistan particularly in the eastern parts, including the heavily populated Kabul and Jalalabad. Studies conducted by Uranium Medical Research Centre (UMRC) showed a ratio of 237 times in returning Gulf War I British soldiers, which 'indicated the presence of 30-50% of DU mixed with natural uranium.' [10]

Source

Edited by Karlis

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rafterman

• Babe Ruth

• Doc Socks Junior

• Mr Right Wing

Depleted Uranium is used in untold number of weapons, from bullets to bombs. This article describes the "problem", but Mainstream Media generally seems to have ignored this issue.

What are the implication of this for future generations? What are your thoughts and suggestions? Please discuss.

-=-=-

Depleted Uranium Contamination: A Crime against Humanityby Dr. Arun Shrivastava

This article is part of a longer essay on Depleted Uranium weapons, nuclear reactors and their environmental health impacts.

In this article the long term consequences of radiation contamination from unilateral aggression of the US and NATO countries on South and West Asia are discussed.

Depleted Uranium or DU [1] encased bombs that have been used since 1991 by US and NATO forces knowing well that the use of DU weapons is illegal being weapons of mass destruction [WMD] and amounts to War Crimes. These weapons were used in Gulf War 1 against Iraq, then in the Balkans and later, after 9/11 events, in Afghanistan, Iraq, North Africa, Libya and now being used in Drone bombings in Pakistan.

'Depleted Uranium' has nothing depleted about it: when this potent hard metal hits a solid surface like concrete or a battle tank, the temperature at the point of impact reaches over 40000C and turns the projectile into uranium oxide gas. These gases are picked up by the wind and carried all over the world creating vast areas of secondary contamination. Based on the population within the contamination map [Map 1], over 35% of India's population received a heavy dosing of DU aerosolized uranium nano particles within months of the start of Afghan and Iraq wars. [2]

The Wind Carries these Deadly Particles and Gas

Each time southwesterly air currents rise up over North Africa and West Asia, they pick up radioactive nano particles and blow right across India. These winds also blow across the Himalayas where these particles are rained out or snowed out. These particles are carried by the perennial Himalayan Rivers irrigate the agriculture lands that feed 1.6 billion Asians.

It means that the use of depleted uranium weapons can compromise the future quality of human population and all life forms. Responsible scientists had warned that DU weapons are WMD and must not be used. Yet DU weapons are being extensively used in Afghanistan particularly in the eastern parts, including the heavily populated Kabul and Jalalabad. Studies conducted by Uranium Medical Research Centre (UMRC) showed a ratio of 237 times in returning Gulf War I British soldiers, which 'indicated the presence of 30-50% of DU mixed with natural uranium.' [10]

Source

So are we to expect mass cancer deaths, sterilization and infertility over all of SW Asia? The efficacy of DU in weapons is undisputed and the idea of war is to kill the enemy and destroy his ability to resist. Nasty business. America began dropping ordinance of many kinds in these countries after we were attacked and lost 3 thousand citizens. I would submit that no DU at all would be an issue in the region if the people of that region did not through their ignorance, hatred or plain bias, allow animals to train there and prepare the shock that drove America to war after 9-11. The radiation poison they should be worried about is the kind that accompanies a mushroom cloud because if they continue on the path they have chosen we may all have a chance to see new footage of just such an event sooner than any of us would dream.

So are we to expect mass cancer deaths, sterilization and infertility over all of SW Asia? The efficacy of DU in weapons is undisputed and the idea of war is to kill the enemy and destroy his ability to resist. Nasty business. America began dropping ordinance of many kinds in these countries after we were attacked and lost 3 thousand citizens. I would submit that no DU at all would be an issue in the region if the people of that region did not through their ignorance, hatred or plain bias, allow animals to train there and prepare the shock that drove America to war after 9-11. The radiation poison they should be worried about is the kind that accompanies a mushroom cloud because if they continue on the path they have chosen we may all have a chance to see new footage of just such an event sooner than any of us would dream.

... Yep; it's good and pleasant when brothers dwell in unity. :tu:

Dr. Shrivastava seems to be GREATLY exaggerating the impact of airborne DU exposure.

According to the World Health Organization, the impact of DU exposure is generally limited to within a few meters of the impact zone. And while a large scale battle may enhance this area, the idea that this stuff travels on the wind ala Fukishima doesn't seem to have much merit.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs257/en/

Do you have another source that's not a conspiracy website?

The entire reason DU is used in the first place is because it is such a dense material. Even in gaseous form, it is going to precipitate pretty quickly. The actual explosion might blow it around the combat area, but it isn't going to be picked up by the wind and get distributed around the world.

When you talk about the dangers of DU, it is easiest to think that you are talking about the dangers of lead poisoning. The toxicity is about the same, the density is close enough, the level of danger is about equal, particularly when you think of it in weapon form; in the case of both lead and DU ammunition exploding in your general vicinity, breathing in the vapors are hardly your immediate concern.

... Yep; it's good and pleasant when brothers dwell in unity. :tu:

And I espouse that because one day it WILL happen. I guess the implication is that because I tip my hat to the concept of brotherhood in the world I make myself somehow more responsible to see it accomplished than say, someone who just points the finger of blame at one side with no acknowledgement of the universality of evil in this world.

None of us are saints. And some of us are just honest enough to admit it while hoping for a better world.

The entire reason DU is used in the first place is because it is such a dense material. Even in gaseous form, it is going to precipitate pretty quickly. The actual explosion might blow it around the combat area, but it isn't going to be picked up by the wind and get distributed around the world.

When you talk about the dangers of DU, it is easiest to think that you are talking about the dangers of lead poisoning. The toxicity is about the same, the density is close enough, the level of danger is about equal, particularly when you think of it in weapon form; in the case of both lead and DU ammunition exploding in your general vicinity, breathing in the vapors are hardly your immediate concern.

Well said.

DU advantage is anti-armor. That is the specific mission for the round.

Given than those goat herders and camel jockeys don't have any armor to penetrate, why use the stuff when our guys end up being exposed to it.

This same controvery arose when Bush was Prez. It seems to me that a C-in-C who actually gives a damn about the troops would order that the stuff be used ONLY against armor targets.

Whether from DU or other sources of contamination, the rates of various cancers amongst Iraqi infants and children is almost off the scale.

To me, indiscriminate use of the stuff is a war crime.

DU advantage is anti-armor. That is the specific mission for the round.

Given than those goat herders and camel jockeys don't have any armor to penetrate, why use the stuff when our guys end up being exposed to it.

This same controvery arose when Bush was Prez. It seems to me that a C-in-C who actually gives a damn about the troops would order that the stuff be used ONLY against armor targets.

Whether from DU or other sources of contamination, the rates of various cancers amongst Iraqi infants and children is almost off the scale.

To me, indiscriminate use of the stuff is a war crime.

Your position is not supported by science.

Did you read the whole post? other countries are being affected as well.

Besides war or not, throwing more dangerous bombs is probably not the right solution.

Edited by The Lone Ranger

Your position is not supported by science.

What position is that?

Could you be more specific?

Depleted Uranium or DU encased bombs that have been used since 1991 by US and NATO forces knowing well that the use of DU weapons is illegal being weapons of mass destruction [WMD] and amounts to War Crimes. These weapons were used in Gulf War 1 against Iraq, then in the Balkans and later, after 9/11 events, in Afghanistan, Iraq, North Africa, Libya and now being used in Drone bombings in Pakistan.

Uranium has nothing depleted about it: when this potent hard metal hits a solid surface like concrete or a battle tank, the temperature at the point of impact reaches over 40000C and turns the projectile into uranium oxide gas. These gases are picked up by the wind and carried all over the world creating vast areas of secondary contamination. Based on the population within the contamination map over 35% of India's population received a heavy dosing of DU aerosolized uranium nano particles within months of the start of Afghan and Iraq wars.

Uranium is a very hard metal which is why the military tips its rounds with it.

Many people seem to be confused over what depleted uranium is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium - it isnt radioactive. When uranium is mined out of the ground the radioactive isotopes are removed. The waste metal that is disgarded is called depleted uranium. The seperated isotopes go to the refinement facility to make nuclear fuel rods.

Uranium is a poisonous metal that will cause sickness but there is nothing radioactive about depleted uranium. If it becomes hot as a weapon is used it doesnt release radiation as there were no radioactive particles in it to begin with.

Depleted uranium is not a WMD and does not cause radiation sickness. The site you are getting your information from is factually incorrect.

Hey, Mr. Right Wing, try to read your own Wikipedia link next time.

the US Defense Department states DU used in US munitions has 60% the radioactivity of natural uranium.

That was like 2 paragraphs down. Take your time reading the rest of it before you start spouting factually incorrect information. Peace.

That was like 2 paragraphs down. Take your time reading the rest of it before you start spouting factually incorrect information. Peace.

So basically it's 60% of the natural radiation that's around us 24 hours a day.

How is that dangerous exactly? Feel free to reference the WHO study I posted above.

What position is that?

Could you be more specific?

You made the claim. You back it up.

I'd be interested to see the evidence that DU residue can be linked to the rise in cancers among Iraqi children.

Here's a little article to help you:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2009/12/01/uk-iraq-health-war-idUKTRE5B01I320091201

I'm not sure the point you're trying to make Rafterman?

The Reuters article you offer points out the medical irregularities there in Basra and elsewhere, about which I was speaking in the earlier post.

Now, since the British Defence Ministry claims there is no connection, are you wanting me to believe that the Ministry knows best? Or tells the truth? Or what, exactly?

The US Defence Ministry, aka Pentagon, is notorious for REFUSING to acknowledge health problems created by military use of chemicals and such.

For example, it took it YEARS to acknowledge the poison used in the war I was in over in Southeast Asia. The first suggestions that Agent Orange were toxic and affecting the health of american soldiers were laughed at by the Pentagon, and said to be untrue.

So, you'll have to pardon my skepticism and cynicism regarding statements by either the British OR the American Defence Ministries. From what I've seen, they are BOTH pathological liars, and only fools believe pathological liars.

No you should try reading it.

Naturally occuring uranium (as it comes out the ground) is not the enriched uranium at a power plant. You cant die of radiation poisoning from consuming naturally occuring uranium and it is one of the trace elements normally found within a human being.

All materials are weakly radioactive including naturally occuring uranium but its far below the level that would make you ill just like background radiation. Depleted Uranium has 60% the radioactivity of naturally occuring uranium as some of the radioactive atoms have been removed.

There is no way on earth you can get radiation sickness of depleted uranium.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

I'm not sure the point you're trying to make Rafterman?

The Reuters article you offer points out the medical irregularities there in Basra and elsewhere, about which I was speaking in the earlier post.

Now, since the British Defence Ministry claims there is no connection, are you wanting me to believe that the Ministry knows best? Or tells the truth? Or what, exactly?

The US Defence Ministry, aka Pentagon, is notorious for REFUSING to acknowledge health problems created by military use of chemicals and such.

For example, it took it YEARS to acknowledge the poison used in the war I was in over in Southeast Asia. The first suggestions that Agent Orange were toxic and affecting the health of american soldiers were laughed at by the Pentagon, and said to be untrue.

So, you'll have to pardon my skepticism and cynicism regarding statements by either the British OR the American Defence Ministries. From what I've seen, they are BOTH pathological liars, and only fools believe pathological liars.

So you equally dismiss the WHO and the physicians in Iraq that say there is no connection as well?

Being able to dismiss every piece of evidence that doesn't support your position is quite convenient, no?

Naturally occuring uranium (as it comes out the ground) is not the enriched uranium at a power plant. You cant die of radiation poisoning from consuming naturally occuring uranium and it is one of the trace elements normally found within a human being.

All materials are weakly radioactive including naturally occuring uranium but its far below the level that would make you ill just like background radiation. Depleted Uranium has 60% the radioactivity of naturally occuring uranium as some of the radioactive atoms have been removed.

I feel like we're going around in circles in this thread as what you're saying has been said at least 3 times.

As was stated above, the dangers of DU exposure are not dissimilar to the dangers of lead exposure.

So basically it's 60% of the natural radiation that's around us 24 hours a day.

How is that dangerous exactly? Feel free to reference the WHO study I posted above.

Yeah, the WHO study says "purified natural uranium" not "natural radiation". Tsk tsk, so many sources, so little reading comprehension.

No Rafterman, I did not say that I dismiss WHO statements.

What I'm saying is that I'm waiting to see how it all plays out before I make a final decision.

If it took them many years to admit the toxic effects of Agent Orange, how long will it take them to do the same regarding DU?

Considering that CYA is the operative philosophy in the Pentagon, I'm not holding my breath waiting for the truth comes out. The odds are that whatever the Pentagon says, is at least part of a coverup and deception.

It makes sense to me that there IS a reason for the high incidence of the various pediatric conditions and sicknesses, and it seems logical that large scale use of HE and DU, with chemical dumps in many places, might have something to do with it.

It seems utterly foolish to assume that it has NOTHING to do with it.

I don't think anyone was claiming radiation sickness and eating natural uranium or even having it under your house can cause serious health issues. Definitely people are wrong about the area that DU can spread to. Where they got those figures from I don't know, but if it did travel that far it is definitely not the cause of the rise in children's cancer in Basra because you would be seeing the same thing in outlying areas. I would try an increase in folic acid before jumping to any conclusions about Fallujah.

That site is using manipulated data, 1/2 truths, and things taken out of context. If there is a real issue, those things do not help the cause.

Well when it comes to nuclear residues, I always ponder on what any government could be saying. I was born in France in the town I live now. From my class in school,out of 35 original students we're perhaps 8 survivors. When I asked around everyone told me it was Chernobyl, but reading data from government no radiations reached France. KIds don't have a working immune system and are born with malformation, and Piennes is a very small town in Lorraine so I can see it, this is not data given by statistics which by the way can be manipulated to make believe aznything.