Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fossil foot bones hint at mystery walker

Waspie_Dwarf

.. I love that we keep finding new hominins. That's what, 3 in the last 12 months or so?

?? 3 added hominins? Aren't ad hominins against the forum rules?

sorry..! :w00t:

Hominin is the term used to refer to members of the genii Homo, Ardapithecis, Australopithecus, Paranthropus and Kenyanthropus.

Do you agree with the above?

If so, how was Swede's comment...

...contrary to that definition?

Hominid is the term used to refer to all the above, plus the Great Apes and all their ancestors.

Again, do you agree with that definition?

If so, how is Swede's comment...

...contrary, except that he left out the Orang's and Bonobo's?

As of right now, 2012, Hominini refers to humans (and ancestors, austros, paratha, ardi, etc) chimps and bonobos while Hominin replaces Hominid which used to refer to humans and chimps but now as Hominin only refers to humans and ancestors.

The terms and what they refer to constantly change as new animals are found and as Hominoid DNA is further studied.

I was just pointing out a technical error in what is a very confusing and constantly changing classification system.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

As of right now, 2012, Hominini refers to humans (and ancestors, austros, paratha, ardi, etc) chimps and bonobos while Hominin replaces Hominid which used to refer to humans and chimps but now as Hominin only refers to humans and ancestors.

The terms and what they refer to constantly change as new animals are found and as Hominoid DNA is further studied.

I was just pointing out a technical error in what is a very confusing and constantly changing classification system.

My emphasis.

Which is fine, as this is agrees with what both Swede and my 11-year old link stated. As for Hominid, is that term now used as reference to the group including all the Hominins plus all the other Great Apes and their ancestors?

Or is your concern that it wasn't the genus Homo which diverged from the common ancestor of hominins and Pan? I accept Swede's description of hominin's was not exacting, but it gave the general idea of what the term represents.

Edited by Leonardo

My emphasis.

Which is fine, as this is agrees with what both Swede and my 11-year old link stated. As for Hominid, is that term now used as reference to the group including all the Hominins plus all the other Great Apes and their ancestors?

Hominid isn't being used anymore. Hominin has replaced it.

Hominid isn't being used anymore. Hominin has replaced it.

I am aware that hominin is used today, as hominid was used 20 years or so ago. It does not follow from that, however, that hominid is no longer used. It is used today (as the link Swede posted shows) as an abbreviation to refer to the Family Hominidae, which includes the Hominins and all the Great Apes and their ancestors.

Just as Swede originally posted, and my 11 year-old link also demonstrated.

Like I said, I'm going by what is being taught in anthropology classes right now.

Like I said, I'm going by what is being taught in anthropology classes right now.

Perhaps you could supply a reference?

Perhaps you could supply a reference?

Sure.

Jurmain, Robert, et. al. Essentials of Physical Anthropology, 8th Edition. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, 2011.

This was the text I used last.

I also have my notes from lectures which has the classifications, but I believe those are in storage. I will look for them.

As I also stated, the classifications are always changing as new discoveries are found and various samples of primate DNA are analyzed. What I posted was what I was taught last spring. I do not believe it has changed since then, but I could be wrong.

Edit; After reviewing several more sites and books that I have, it would appear that while hominin has seemed to replaced hominid in its original use (humans and ancestors), hominid has now become an inclusive term for all great apes and humans. I was unaware of this.

Leo, Swede, I apologize for any confusion.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

Sure.

Jurmain, Robert, et. al. Essentials of Physical Anthropology, 8th Edition. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, 2011.

I also have my notes from lectures which has the classifications, but I believe those are in storage. I will look for them.

As I also stated, the classifications are always changing as new discoveries are found and various samples of primate DNA are analyzed. What I posted was what I was taught last spring. I do not believe it has changed since then, but I could be wrong.

Edit; After reviewing several more sites and books that I have, it would appear that while hominin has seemed to replaced hominid in its original use (humans and ancestors), hominid has now become an inclusive term for all great apes and humans. I was unaware of this.

Imaginary - No problem. Pleased that you have personally resolved such.

Sure.

No problem, and thanks. I apologise if I seemed over-insistent in pressing the case. Glad to have the misunderstanding resolved. :tu:

• 2 months later...