Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Europe’s 3rd cargo vehicle docks with the ISS

Waspie_Dwarf

ESA’s ATV Edoardo Amaldi has completed the first stage of its docking with the Russian Zvezda module of the International Space Station.

The docking occurred smoothly when ATV’s docking probe was captured by Zvezda’s docking cone at 00:31 CEST ( 22:31 GMT).

The docking probe is now retracting, to be followed by the hooks between the two craft closing.The data and electrical connections will then be established.

The 20-tonne vessel, flying autonomously while being continuously monitored from the ground, docked with the 450-tonne orbital complex with a precision of 6 cm as they circled Earth at more than 28 000 km/hr.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
Added tags

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• FLOMBIE

• Still Waters

• L5K

Top Posters In This Topic

Was trying to find a window for a pass here in uk, for a viewing of near docking but was a no go. Glad it all went to plan. Any reason ESA was used this time?

• 2 weeks later...

That is one great screen Can you just look at our thin little safety blanket of an atmosphere and all the lights looking up over the Indian ocean at night?

Wonderful indeed. Thanks Still Waters for diggin that one up. Ive really got to get back to NASA T,V, and see if they are covering the ISS and all these re-sullpies. Man I miss our Shuttle`s

justDONTEATUS :tu:

They are being built at my birthplace, Bremen. In 2009 their facilities had been open to the public for a few days, that was a truly fascinating visit. You cannot imagine how huge these things are.

They are being built at my birthplace, Bremen.

Whilst it is true that final assembly of the ATV occurs in Bremen, only one of the three major modules are actually built there.

The Equipped Propulsion Bay, which contains the rocket engines and propellant tanks, is built in Bremen.

The Equipped Avionics Bay, which contains most of the electronics and computers for the ATV, is manufactured in Toulouse, France.

The largest module, the Integrated Cargo Carrier, which is the section which contains all the cargo, is manufactured in Turin, Italy.

Alright, thanks for the calrification.

Just a bit of jealousy on my part really, no major component of this amazing European vehicle is made in the UK.

It was still an amazing sight. :)

I bet it was (more jealousy from me).

Aw, don't be jealous, mate! Next time they open it up, I'll take some pictures for you! :yes: