Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Navy: 4 Years Away From Laser Guns on Ships

Still Waters

I remember reading years ago that LASER weapons could be thwarted by mirroring the surfaces of ships, rockets, etc. Or in the case of a rocket, making it spin to attenuate the heat produced by the LASER. Since light colors reflect light and dark colors absorb light, it might only take painting something stark bright white to offer some protection against such weapons, but I may be way off base here not knowing current technology.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ColoradoParanormal

• Rafterman

• TattooMan

• None of the above

All this about Laser cannons and what not. Yet how much time and/or effort is put in to a stable future?

Im no expert but there are still people out there with no clothes, no food, no fresh clean water and are rather sick to boot.

Instead of making and discovering new ways to blow each other up. Why not put more resources into finding a new form of energy and ending the pain and suffering in 3rd world countries as well as putting real effort into sorting out the the financial, no job etc etc. aka recession. Im sure a few of you are aware of Irelands situation.

Anyway, things will never change.

I find it interesting how much prospect of future weapons we have but no prospect of feeding everyone. how about 0 weapons till every man , woman and child is clothed, educated and provided for?

i gotta laugh at people who think like this. without said weapons/defense whats to stop someone else from taking your food and clothing and homes, etc (sure, the US is a bit overboard on this point), but the point still stands. besides - without a little threat of death from your neighbours/surroundings, we'd still be living in caves/huts. better money spent on this then having tech. development stagnate more then it already is...

I remember reading years ago that LASER weapons could be thwarted by mirroring the surfaces of ships, rockets, etc. Or in the case of a rocket, making it spin to attenuate the heat produced by the LASER. Since light colors reflect light and dark colors absorb light, it might only take painting something stark bright white to offer some protection against such weapons, but I may be way off base here not knowing current technology.

The mirroring would have to be tailored to the wavelength of the laser itself.

Each "layer" in a surface essentially has a certain reflection and transmission coefficient. A certain amount of light will be reflected, and the rest will penetrate through it. In terms of mirrors you and I use, the reflection coefficient is quite large, meaning that almost all of the light is reflected by the first few layers in the mirror. The reflection and transmission coefficients, however, are dependent on the wavelengths of the light, meaning that certain wavelengths of light may be highly reflected, but others aren't. The mirrors we use are highly reflective for visible light, but not necessarily so for other parts of the spectrum.

All this about Laser cannons and what not. Yet how much time and/or effort is put in to a stable future?

Im no expert but there are still people out there with no clothes, no food, no fresh clean water and are rather sick to boot.

Instead of making and discovering new ways to blow each other up. Why not put more resources into finding a new form of energy and ending the pain and suffering in 3rd world countries as well as putting real effort into sorting out the the financial, no job etc etc. aka recession. Im sure a few of you are aware of Irelands situation.

Anyway, things will never change.

Hybrid89 I don't mean to sound as though I'm preaching to you but some things just have to be said. It's human nature that causes those needs to be left unmet. The truth is that we live in a world where if you aren't able to defend yourself and those you love there are plenty of people who will gladly kill you for what you have or just because you don't pray to their god.

It has always been this way and while I believe the day will come when the change you want will arrive, I think it will only be after we come very close to extinction as a species.