Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Survey gets a grip on dark energy

Waspie_Dwarf

Astronomers have measured the precise distance to over a quarter of a million galaxies to gain new insights into a key period in cosmic history.

The 3D map of the sky allows scientists to probe the time six billion years ago when dark energy became the dominant influence on the Universe's expansion.

No-one knows the true nature of this repulsive force, but the exquisite data in the international BOSS survey will help test various theories.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
Added tags

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lightly

• space11498

• Waspie_Dwarf

• StarMountainKid

It seems to me all the components that make the universe serve some purpose. By this I mean everything fits together like a jig-saw puzzle to make the universe what it is. I'm not saying there is a predetermined purpose, but everything falls into place naturally by itself.

Dark matter holds galaxies together, for instance, but what is the purpose of dark energy? To slowly blow the universe apart?

Is there a more fundamental aspect or purpose of dark energy, besides accelerating the expansion of the universe, that we have not discovered yet?

It seems to me all the components that make the universe serve some purpose. By this I mean everything fits together like a jig-saw puzzle to make the universe what it is. I'm not saying there is a predetermined purpose, but everything falls into place naturally by itself.

Dark matter holds galaxies together, for instance, but what is the purpose of dark energy? To slowly blow the universe apart?

Is there a more fundamental aspect or purpose of dark energy, besides accelerating the expansion of the universe, that we have not discovered yet?

The newfound knowledge that less than 5% of the Universe is composed of matter and energy that we are somewhat familiar with while 95% , or so, is composed of dark energy (70%) and dark matter (25%) the answer to your question must be YES?

* an argument against it's fundamentality might be the idea being proposed, that it somehow came into being later on ? .. Or was it original after all and it's effect only became possible after certain other conditions occurred? It's a wonderful mystery!

Edited by lightly

* an argument against it's fundamentality might be the idea being proposed, that it somehow came into being later on ? .. Or was it original after all and it's effect only became possible after certain other conditions occurred? It's a wonderful mystery!

I think the theory is that dark energy is a property of space. In the early universe space was more compact and gravity was stronger than dark energy. As the universe expanded and therefore space expanded, the influence of dark energy became stronger than gravity, and began the accelerating expansion of the universe we witness today.

As we both may assume, I would think there is a relationship between dark energy and the construction of the universe. Could our universe exist as it does without the component of dark energy?

lightly, a little correction .

According to WMAP ,

Dark Energy [94%]

Dark Matter [22%]

Intergalactic Gas [3.6%]

Stars,etc [0.4%]

lightly, a little correction .

According to WMAP ,

Dark Energy [94%]

Dark Matter [22%]

Intergalactic Gas [3.6%]

Stars,etc [0.4%]

Thank you space, i was using the approximations stated in this NASA website :

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/

However, the percentages you have listed above add up to 120% ... I'm pretty sure the total of all components of our universe ,dark or otherwise, can not exceed a total of 100%?.

The NASA site puts normal matter at 5% ... i've seen lower percentages stated elsewhere, around 4% ... but not 0.4%. * and ,of course, intergalactic gases would be included in normal matter?

Most likely just a typo on your part as i'm certain you are more knowledgeable in these matters than myself.. just thought i should bring the 120% to your attention. :)

Your post made me curious about Intergalactic gases .. so i did a quick search and found this NASA web page that i found interesting . You are probably familiar with.. but some of the info is new to me.

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/deepspace/chandra_chandrasweb.html

Edited by lightly

Thank you space, i was using the approximations stated in this NASA website :

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/

However, the percentages you have listed above add up to 120% ... I'm pretty sure the total of all components of our universe ,dark or otherwise, can not exceed a total of 100%?.:

Space11498's figures are wrong. Dark matter should be 74%, not 94%.

Please also not that both intergalactic and stars, etc (which space quotes separately) are normal matter, given a total of 4%. In otherwords you were correct with the figures you gave.

I am really sorry.

Dark Energy [74%]

This is according to wikipedia/Dark Energy.

Thanks for bringing the 120% to my notice.

As far as I know, Intergalactic gas is nothing but the gas remnants of a supernova in simple words.

So it should and it contains iron in a large proportion.

This is what I know.

Now its your thought as to consider it as normal matter or not.

The NASA site mentions WIMP clouds.

I am not sure whether it is the same intergalactic clouds or not although it is mentioned in the very page.

I am really sorry.

Dark Energy [74%]

This is according to wikipedia/Dark Energy.

Thanks for bringing the 120% to my notice.

As far as I know, Intergalactic gas is nothing but the gas remnants of a supernova in simple words.

So it should and it contains iron in a large proportion.

This is what I know.

Now its your thought as to consider it as normal matter or not.

The NASA site mentions WIMP clouds.

I am not sure whether it is the same intergalactic clouds or not although it is mentioned in the very page.

No problem space. I thought you probably just typed in some wrong numbers by mistake. Keep researching... and .. don't be TOO naughty! :lol:

Just after the big bang, clumps of positively charged stable particles formed and began attracting, (gravity), other positively charged clumps to form single quarks. When the temperature dropped to a billion degrees, the quarks began to clump in 3's and could fire off a small clump called an eletron to make one quark neutral (neutron) keeping 2 quarks positive. The electron automatically defines the electromagnetic shell and becomes a complete, stable, hydrogen atom.

There was no process yet that could force 2 hydrogen atoms together to create a helium atom. Gravity collected positive matter. At one point, the universe was just 99.999% hydrogen.

Dark matter is all of the neutrinos floating between us and the point of the big bang. When 2 neutrinos collide, they bond with the strongest bond possible between 2 pieces of fundamental mass, and carry a negative charge. We all know how this charge feels like when you put 2 very powerful magnets together. Flip one of them and try to push the opposing charges together. The closer the more push away, repulse. Just like gravity has no limit in its affect on all other positive matter, the negatively charged bi-neutrino pushes away for infinity. I will let you figure out the percentage, but Dark matter is the total amount of neutrinos combined and dark energy is the push, repel, force emitted from all negatively charged particles.

After 14 billions years, this negative force, dark energy, has been pushing, expanding outward. Positive matter was pushed out much faster than the dark matter at the big bang. The dark energy caught up to the galaxies 6 billion years ago, and have been, pushing, the galaxies away from the center of the event at a faster and faster pace. All dark energy between us and the big bang origin is making larger and larger empty holes in space and we are feeling the might dark energy.

Dark matter is neutral and is not affected by any type of electromagnetic force, like the shell of a hydrogen atom. The neutrino can pass through this force field without any effects nor will it change the hydrogen atom in any whay. Dark matter does have mass and is constantly attracted by the pull of gravity. Galaxies are engulfed by neutrinos, which is the gravity needed to keep the galaxy from flying apart. Black holes will eventually absorb everything in its own galaxy, including the neutrinos.

We are definately on our way to the big rip, or just join with a "Cosmos sized black hole".

No problem space. I thought you probably just typed in some wrong numbers by mistake. Keep researching... and .. don't be TOO naughty! :lol:

Yes I will try to be . :lol: