Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US draws up plans for nuclear drones

Drayno

US plans Nuclear Drones

American scientists have drawn up plans for a new generation of nuclear-powered drones capable of flying over remote regions of the world for months on end without refuelling.

The blueprints for the new drones, which have been developed by Sandia National Laboratories – the US government's principal nuclear research and development agency – and defence contractor Northrop Grumman, were designed to increase flying time "from days to months" while making more power available for operating equipment, according to a project summary published by Sandia.

UAV drones can be useful, I won't lie.

But I also have to acknowledge that drones could be used to spy; an invasion of privacy.

It's still amazing to see the technologies of our military increase exponentially.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paracelse

• Simbi Laveau

• Drayno

• BiffSplitkins

Top Posters In This Topic

Wars have always ben mother of development. Heck even Da Vinci developped war equipment between 2 paint strokes.

Sure, we need small nuclear power plants flying around because radiation is so safe, right?

No nuke will ever be allowed to go off. No worries, folks.

I suggest you all become immune to the fear factors these days.

Sure, we need small nuclear power plants flying around because radiation is so safe, right?

Especially once the robots take over. Yikes. :P

It seems our military is using every option to their advantage.

There is much potential in drone technology. But also the normal inherent danger. :P

Just saw that on yahoo news

But what may be most intriguing is a concept coming from Tomorrow's Thoughts Today, a London based think tank lead by Liam Young, who has created a set of quadracopter prototypes that act as WiFi hotspots.

Once in operation these WiFi drones could be flown above crowds of protestors when access to the internet is cut off by authorities, like during the Arab Spring, or to house servers out of the jurisdiction of hostile governments, in the case of The Pirate Bay. It's one more step in the mobilization of technological infrastructure, one that creates limitless possibilities for the creatively inclined.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/endless-potential-flying-robots-190703624.html

well ya had to know this was coming..and remote areas ?

Try cities

well ya had to know this was coming..and remote areas ?

Try cities

Time to pull out the old CB radios :devil::ph34r:

No nuke will ever be allowed to go off. No worries, folks.

I suggest you all become immune to the fear factors these days.

How can you be so sure? Drones crash all the time.

Time to pull out the old CB radios :devil::ph34r:

Wow...I had one when i was like 13.

Breaker 19,breaker 19...

How can you be so sure? Drones crash all the time.

Ok,conspiracy theory time.

I've come to the conclusion,that they have agents watching this site.

We come up with too many close to the Mark theories and conclusions,and they send moles in to post,to mock people who are posting the truth ,so others reading it,will have doubts.

I think so.....this site worries them.

People from all parts of the world sharing ideas easily.Much morr so than facebook.

Call me crazy.....

Call me crazy.....

You're crazy :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Just kidding ..... I always thought the same it would be the logical thing to do for any gov.

I think most of the people here are blowing this out of proportion. The amount of nuclear material used would be very small, it would have to be to make the drone able to fly. Once you add in the fact that it will almost certainty not be weapon grade material then the chance of a terrorist organization using it to make any type of nuclear weapon, even a dirty bomb, becomes zero. Someone will probably point out how you do not need weapon grade nuclear material to make a dirty bomb but the amount will probably be to low to even do that, unless they manage to shoot down hundreds of drones. If a terrorist organization wanted to make a dirty bomb there are far cheaper and easier ways then this would be.

Now that just leaves a drone crashing. Even if a drone crashed the amount of nuclear material it carries probably wouldn't even be enough to cause any real concern to any populated area, especially once you consider all of the small doses of radiation we get daily from hundred of sources so a nuclear drone crash would probably be of no real concern to anyone.