Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Colma,CA

glowmer

I commented about Colma :P I just think that not too many people know about it..It's a small town that is almost all cemeteries.I never really heard any ghost stories from there or saw anything when i lived near there.Then again...i was not looking.

:sleepy:

I don't understand why people would even stray off topic and then bash on other people for trying to stay on topic of discussion.

If you guys want to talk about blood of the Christ mountains then make a seperate thread about it. Real low of you.

Back to Colma...Does anyone have any stories about it?? Just curious now...I lived so close to there,but never really went there,only passed by several times.It was always in between the two towns that i would go to work and home.I could see the cemeteries off of the freeway.It always looked so eerie.I wish i had been more into the paranormal back then,..i would have investigated it more.

Well besides my brother's stories that's all I have. I'm pretty sure there are tons more out there but it would be a very sensitive topic for those as pretty much most gravesites are filled with family relatives.

Well besides my brother's stories that's all I have. I'm pretty sure there are tons more out there but it would be a very sensitive topic for those as pretty much most gravesites are filled with family relatives.

I've been to Colma many times. I've never heard of anyone saying it's haunted...no reason to believe so. Actually, there's no credible evidence to believe so.

I don't understand why people would even stray off topic and then bash on other people for trying to stay on topic of discussion.

If you guys want to talk about blood of the Christ mountains then make a seperate thread about it. Real low of you.

Yet, I'm not the one getting my panties in a wad over it. Good day to you sir and welcome to UM. :rofl:

Whether Colma is haunted or not largely depends on whether you believe that cemeteries can be haunted. Personally, I don't so I don't think Colma is haunted. As I stated earlier, Colma and Cripple Creek came into being for two entirely different reasons so comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges.

Hmmm, I love close by here and may check it out. I've never really heard anyone talk about it but I'm guessing there could very well be some type of energy there. Since I do live so close I may as well stop by sometime.

Well to stay on topic, I've never been to either place and doubt either would be haunted.

:P

Now:

heresjoey.jpg

Aaahhh! What the hell is that thing?

I live about a 20 minute drive from San Francisco and have never even heard of this town. Guess it is the go to place for all of the people no more of the popular area.

I can confirm, that the city along with part of daly city right next to it is filled with several large grave sites. i've driven through the area several times late at night when i worked as a repossession agent but never noticed anything odd, never felt too wierded out there. its actually very calm and suburbish.

Listen to the album Colma by Buckethead. It's haunting, surreal, detached, and lonely.

I can surmise that these are the feelings one must get when they actually visit Colma, CA. I can only imagine...

• 2 months later...

Just heard the song Colma by buckethead

I think the song does good to represent the city of Colma

Coloma? Good for meteorites lately. I have hunted, camped in and hiked the woods and mountains all around Coloma. Nothing spooky.

I'll make a guess as to why it hasn't been on any of the paranormal hunting tv shows. this is purely speculation mind you. Does anyone else realize that NONE of the ghost hunt shows has investigations primarily in cemeteries? I would venture to guess for one big reason. doing outside production is a pain in the ****. While some shows might to a partial stint outside, every single one primarily does the show indoors. I would chalk that up to a couple things. Too much outside stuf to deal with when it comes to production. sounds, animals, wind, the elements, etc. Secondly, they overall are boring. See a tombstone, seen them all kind of thing. and in line with that, while most of us think a cemetery is creepy to walk around in particularly at night, for a tv crew, it doesn't have the same effect as a closed in, crumbling, rotting subdivided building with spooky nooks and crannies, furniture that's old and disintegrating, staircases that seem alive, and also places that hide and create shadows, echos, creeks and bumps. Building alone have singular history with regards to the times and events that occured in a static location, peoples of all walks entered and left, sometimes met their deaths, tragedies and so forth become attached to its legend and lore. Cemeteries are filled with all kinds of people but its a final resting place....not a place where life occured both hardships and good things. again, just a theory, but I think building like prisons, asylums, hospitals, castles and the like will always serve for better tv and have more to offer for production values. what do you guys think....I'm just trying to give a theory on the OP's question of why not here?

• 1 year later...

I lived in Colma and my house was haunted. My mom sold the house to a Jewish Synagog who tore the house down on Annie St. around 1964 and it is still standing. I have lots of stories about that house. I've always wondered if they ever found any dead bodies or spirits? My sister and I also had a weird experience with a gargoyle that I posted I another forum on here.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to spend a lot of time in Colma just cruising around with my Polaroid camera :) I live in Oregon now and there's just not that kind of extravagant, interesting cemeteries near me. I figure that there's never been that kind of money or culture around here. Maybe closer to the cities. I haven't had the opportunity to check that out yet. If you google earth Colma, the city is mostly grey.

There's also a pet cemetery there. This might be helpful if you're a stripper searching for a brilliant stage name.

Edited by princessnobody

I'm new to this forum so I don't know how to control who I'm replying to and this may be a very old thread. I found this web site yesterday googling Colma cemeteries. I just changed my picture, do you like it? It's a Cain Corso. Looks like a devil dog. Watch Harold and Maude. the full movie is on youtube. It was filmed all over the bay area and San Francisco. It's a cult classic for sure with a great soundtrack if you like Cat Stevens. Cemetery scenes filmed in Colma. Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort, 1971.

Edited by princessnobody
  • Like 1

I was born and raised and currently live in San Francisco and I never really considered that Colma might be haunted. It does have a bunch of cemetaries everywhere, and many relatives are buried there, but it never really gave me the creeps as much as The Presidio cemetary does. I always go to Colma for the malls and restaurants.

One good place in SF that is most likely haunted (or was, I guess. It's been torn down and a condo was built in its place) is the Public Health Service Hospital in the Presidio. Try googling that.

Who me? Why? I thought we were talking about Colma. If you want haunted in Colma, maybe that Folger lady's grave. She was one of the people killed in the Manson murders. I'd say she's pretty p***ed off. Try googling that.

I live so close yet never heard all these stories...interesting. Guess that means its time to pack up all the photo gear and take a trip out, worst thing to happen is i come back with some grim photos of a grave town :)

• 2 months later...

I read the article about the sighting of the gargoyle in Colma Ca and I would like you to know I have also seen one myself. My mom and i were driving home from a friends house and as we were passing a cemetary and there was this creature perched on a stone. It had big eyes, ears that stuck up and wings. We both saw it and as we drove by its head moved, we thought it was a statue. It was the scariest thing I have ever seen. Every time we drive by this cemetary we will not look towards it, we've made it into a joke now because we still don't believe it.

• 3 years later...

I have lived near Colma all of my life, enjoyed immensely strolling though its ornate cemeteries and elaborate tombs, and thrilled at visiting the graves of Wyatt Earp and Joe Dimaggio. The place is utterly fascinating, but I have heard not one ghost story ever connected to it, although there was a horror novel called JOY RIDE. I have even seen news articles on it where the strange paradox is discussed- millions of dead and no ghost lore. 

I'll be blunt that I am a skeptic, but I come to this site because I none-the-less love a good ghost story. I will offer an explanation that will suit paranormal enthusiasts and skeptics equally: it is a very nice place. Ghosts stories take place in dilapidated old cemeteries with jealous souls long-forgotten. Colma is anything but. The dead here are remembered; a living part of the community with care, family and honoring visitors. 

No angry ghosts, or psychological need for them. But if anyone ever did want to film a movie there, nature sometimes supplies the atmospheric morning fog. 

Hope you all have a chance to visit. One more note for you boxing fans: Stanley Ketchel fought a number of fights here, including his ill-fated bout against Heavyweight king Jack Johnson. 

Happy almost Halloween!

Edited by cachibatches.
mispelled word