Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All aliens look like humans?

Magicjax

I was browsing around on line. I stumbled upon images of various life forms on earth. Here are just a few of them.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

It seems strange to me that with so much variety in life forms most people only picture aliens to look similar to humans or insects.

Just a thought to ponder.

Edited by Magicjax

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• Mentalcase

• DONTEATUS

• Space Commander Travis

An obvious answer might be that single-celled organisms or small sea creatures would probably be unlikely to develop technological civilisations that would enable them to construct interstellar spacecraft. Therefore, you might expect the higher forms of life (in terms of evolution, at least) to be the ones that would be most likely to visit another planet, if that was indeed at all likely.

IIRC the argument is - "predators need to adapt more quickly to survive, therefore they're more likely to become the apex creature, and therefore develop intelligence at a faster rate. Predators on the whole have binocular vision(forward facing eyes). They have aparatus for sensing smell and sound all centrally located near the eyes and mouth. A mouth on a neck means you can position your body securely on land but get into a kill and to move the head without moving the body means you can be a better stalker. Being bipedal means you can dedicate some of your paws to other uses such as making and carrying tools"

Any bipedal creature with manipulative extremities and sensory input features on a head are going to look humanish because we have hands and a head with eyes, ears and noses.

I was browsing around on line. I stumbled upon images of various life forms on earth. Here are just a few of them.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

It seems strange to me that with so much variety in life forms most people only picture aliens to look similar to humans or insects.

How do you feel one of those creatures would kick of an Industrial revolution?

How do you feel one of those creatures would kick of an Industrial revolution?

YOu know its actually possible were just too busy to look ,or was it Were too broke to pay to Look ? :innocent:

YOu know its actually possible were just too busy to look ,or was it Were too broke to pay to Look ? :innocent:

Hi Big D

I can't see one of these things even making a decent BBQ though, can you? They have no way to smelt metals and manipulate objects. I think they are adapted to suit their environment where as we adapt our environment to suit us.

Hi Big D

I can't see one of these things even making a decent BBQ though, can you? They have no way to smelt metals and manipulate objects. I think they are adapted to suit their environment where as we adapt our environment to suit us.

Maybe we just cant see the subatomic B.B.Q grill on one of the planets orbiting inside of one of the electrons that make up one of those creatures ? OR was that MIB movie I was watching just a movie ? LoL.

One thing is for sure ! I think the Aliens were flying all thru Texas today ! I seent-em ! :innocent:

post-68971-0-12712100-1333509554_thumb.j

Maybe we just cant see the subatomic B.B.Q grill on one of the planets orbiting inside of one of the electrons that make up one of those creatures ? OR was that MIB movie I was watching just a movie ? LoL.

One thing is for sure ! I think the Aliens were flying all thru Texas today ! I seent-em ! :innocent:

I reckon they just stick around volcanic vents and cook up prawns! Why move from that, it's a perfect life!

That is AWESOME and even that is an understatement. I love the Shuttle car! Is that where you and MID parked it when Sally let you take it for a spin? You gotta lay of the He3!

If there really are aliens, perhaps we are the aliens and that would be why they resemble us.

just a thought

:yes:

S P E C I E S : These are the most common species normally encountered.

http://www.ufos-alie...smicspecies.htm

Those coyotes with mange have the ability to fly now?

Those coyotes with mange have the ability to fly now?

Wile-E-Coyote-and-flying-saucer-chase-the-Road-Runner-in-Gone-in-60-Parsecs.jpg

:D

In a sci-fi movie, i don't remember which one now, it was suggested that many races look the same because like a rain drop is the most efficient form for falling water to assume, this humanoid shape is likewise, the most efficient one to form....

*shrugs*

i don't really agree.

In a sci-fi movie, i don't remember which one now, it was suggested that many races look the same because like a rain drop is the most efficient form for falling water to assume, this humanoid shape is likewise, the most efficient one to form....

*shrugs*

i don't really agree.

Hey buddy,

to be honest I didnt agree either, at least not at first.

We had a good discussion with Psyche and LS on this subject and I have now changed my take on it somewhat.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221794

be good to have some input from you also, first do have a look at the thread if you have time as some good points are made.

:tu:

Any bipedal creature with manipulative extremities and sensory input features on a head are going to look humanish because we have hands and a head with eyes, ears and noses.

Like an octopus? They don't like particular humanoid to me yet have sensory organs on their heads and manipulative extremities.

I don't think there's any good reason to think that the only way advanced intelligent life can evolve is via the same process as on earth and that therefore aliens will inevitably be humanoid. For example, why couldn't advanced intelligent flying life evolve? Or have echolocation organs on their heads because they evolved as nocturnal hunters? Or have more than 4 limbs? Etc. etc.

I think the point of the OP wasn't that aliens would look like the creatures he posted, just that here on earth there is an immense variety to the life-forms that have evolved and that there may be many ways for advanced intelligent life capable of high technology to evolve.

Like an octopus? They don't like particular humanoid to me yet have sensory organs on their heads and manipulative extremities.

Being dependent on water, and not having a skeleton, perhaps might be a bit of a drawback, which may explain why Octopi haven't yet constructed any cities.

Any really advances beings,I mean ten`s of Millions of years in our advance may only need a atom to hitch a ride on, or just be happy in there own exisistance

We are way too back woods to even guess what maybe possible ! The real facts are .We dont know what is possible,Lots of very clever people have made lots of assumptions ect,but we just maybe the early stages of how the Alien races start. Would it not be grand to meet another race from across the vastness of time and Space?

I can imagine they might not even need any form. There enegry maybe all the need to do everything they need. just a Thought.just DONTEATUS. :innocent:

!

I think the answer to your question is that as 'aliens' are a product of popular sci-fi culture, & nobody has ever seen one then it's obvious that peoples point of reference is going to be limited by what they observe around them.

Say all creatures on earth were given human intelligence. Which ones would make it to space first? Place your bets.

Say all creatures on earth were given human intelligence. Which ones would make it to space first? Place your bets.

The Great Blue Whale ! ANd you can take that with a bag of peanuts and towel ! :innocent:

post-68971-0-41910000-1333669395_thumb.j

Being dependent on water, and not having a skeleton, perhaps might be a bit of a drawback, which may explain why Octopi haven't yet constructed any cities.

Other then Cthulu of course ;)

...I think the point of the OP wasn't that aliens would look like the creatures he posted, just that here on earth there is an immense variety to the life-forms that have evolved and that there may be many ways for advanced intelligent life capable of high technology to evolve.

There's just no way to know what type of intelligent life might have evolved on other planets.

Personally, I kind of like Larry Niven's Pierson's Puppeteers as an interesting example. See youtube video here.

If we sort of expatriate a bit from what we consider to be viable theories then we can assume that aliens might well look very similar to us. Based on the fact that now a relatively new theory is that bacteria was delivered here via comets and meteors rather than evolved independently here. Obviously we really don't know where that first spark of life came from for sure, but a transported organism isn't outside the realm of real possibility. Since these little envelops of life are possible here it's reasonable to assume they landed on other worlds as well. Granted, the condition of life might be somewhat different which could create changes specific to the planet on which they landed.

Language, customs, things like that we can't be sure of, an extended hand to an alien might mean I want to crush you or it could mean you wish to procreate with them.