Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl, 10, gives birth to baby daughter

Still Waters

A 10-year-old Colombian girl has sparked outrage after becoming one of the world's youngest ever mothers by giving birth to a healthy daughter.

The girl, a member of an indigenous tribe called the Wayuu who are based in the La Guajira Peninsula in the north of the country, was 39 weeks pregnant when she underwent a Caesarean section.Most pregnancies are 38 weeks.

It was the first time the pre-teen, from the town of Manaure, had visited a doctor in connection with her pregnancy.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OverSword

• I Am Not Resisting

• Rhincewind

• Still Waters

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know anything about the alleged case at the bottom of the youngest mother being 5?? I really wanna call BS on that!

She's from an indegenous tribe in Columbia who's culture has probably accepted very young women becoming mothers since before we invented the wheel. Can we be justified in judging this situation negatively? I can hear it already.."She was one week overdue and had to deliver by c-section!" But that happens to to women 5-10-15-20 years older than her on a consistent basis the world over. I admit I have mixed feeling about this. She was obviously physically mature enough to do this as evidenced by the fact that she got pregnant. I guess my conclusion is if you're not part of thier society then don't be judgemental on this one. That's not to say that someone in her tribe won't harshly judge the male that impregnated her, but we just don't know for sure.

Anyone know anything about the alleged case at the bottom of the youngest mother being 5?? I really wanna call BS on that!

No, that's true. Read an article with a picture of swollen belly, but that was a different situation, it was her father who knocked her up so we can judge that one harshly.

No, that's true. Read an article with a picture of swollen belly, but that was a different situation, it was her father who knocked her up so we can judge that one harshly.

:no: How horrible.

She's from an indegenous tribe in Columbia who's culture has probably accepted very young women becoming mothers since before we invented the wheel. Can we be justified in judging this situation negatively? I can hear it already.."She was one week overdue and had to deliver by c-section!" But that happens to to women 5-10-15-20 years older than her on a consistent basis the world over. I admit I have mixed feeling about this. She was obviously physically mature enough to do this as evidenced by the fact that she got pregnant. I guess my conclusion is if you're not part of thier society then don't be judgemental on this one. That's not to say that someone in her tribe won't harshly judge the male that impregnated her, but we just don't know for sure.

It does not matter if we belong to the society or not......If a news article is posted for all to give a comment and their views.. then thats how it goes....

She might be from another society.. but she is still a human being and still just a child herself ....I will give my views regardless

And my view is..I find this not right..she is just a 10 year old child regardless where in the world she is from....People forget we are all humans.. Her 10 year old body is no different from any other little 10 year old body....Granted her society may approve of this..And I understand this..I am not going to say anything about her society . I am just thinking it is wrong for any ( meaning any child from any society regardless where in the world it is) child that age to go through pregnancy ...I own the right to my own opinion

If something like this is acceptable in one society so be it.. but it does not mean I should think YAY its all good...The news articles we read on here each day are all posted for our opinions and comments...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Looking at the photo of the hometown of the girl from the Wayuu "tribe" they do appear to have accepted some level of modern life - at least in their dresscode and shelters. They also know enough to ensure proper medical care for the girl. Education is key here. There will be a time when pleading ignorance of the consequences of underage sexual activity is going to be beyond even their "isolated" view to deny. It is sad for the girls who go through this. The fact is before the tribe's exposure to the western thought and medicine many would have died I'm guessing. Times will change these people's beliefs when it comes to health and survivability of their young, if understand the psychological impact cannot be made obvious to them at least.

Wish it wasn't happening though :cry: , so many live with so much ignorant borne suffering in this world.disgust.gif