Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Billionaires should be allowed to buy planets

Still Waters

People already sell stars. It's not as if they actually own it or anything, it's a scam to fleece money out of gullible people.

Give me 30 bucksand I'll ship you a certificate that says you own the Earth.

Can I buy a crappy cheap planet?

Wel... due to thelack of the element Amazium on earth, I'llit go for oh... 1,000 bucks.

Wel... due to thelack of the element Amazium on earth, I'llit go for oh... 1,000 bucks.

Oh that's not so bad. I'll take 3.

:w00t: I just builded an interstellar highway that happens to pass just next to your new space property, and remember you need to pay tolls, if you have a problem :devil: , pull aside and go out and use the emergency telephone. :lol:

Oh that's not so bad. I'll take 3.

Great, just make out the check to Dewey Cheatem, post it and you'll have your ownershipplaquein three to four business weeks.

I didn't read all the comments.

My thought is, obviously nobody owns anything up there. So if we can't buy it from anyone, then how would we go about it?

I think it's obvious, first come, first serve. If you can get to it,go there and stake out your land. Then we go from there. Kinda like how the US was made (but hopefully we go about it much more civilized-like!). ^_^

Anyway we will probably find that E.T. already owns it and will have to barter with him.

Oh but you really should... :lol:

Yea I read them after the fact. Owning a whole planet is ridiculous though! I can't imagine the need for it, especially if humans can't even thrive there.

Since I'm in the market for a new planet I have a few questions; Does my planet come with it's own moon or do I have to have one brought in? I would prefer a planet with a rotational period of 26 earth hours, as I find I'm not getting quite enough sleep lately (worrying about having to purchase that moon). I would like it to have a 25/73/2% O2/N/CO2 ratio since that will make both breathing and gardening easier, trace gases (except Radon) are okay. Gravity should be 85% of earth normal, since I've put on a little weight over the years and find it more difficult to get around. Year round temperature should be about 78 degrees F. by day and 68 by night (for comfort during those extra two hours of sleep I'll be getting). All animal life should be edible and preferably tasty. Nothing should have fangs, claws, venom or be poisonous if eaten (they should also not be very bright, see the above "difficult to get around" reference). All water sources for drinking should be natural artesian springs at 35 degrees, for bathing mineral hot springs with a maximum of 102 degrees is fine, naturally effervescent water would be even better. As for the star the planet will be orbiting, I'm not really too fussy, a red dwarf would even be okay as I have always like sunsets on earth. As for the planets habitability, seismic activity should be at a minimum, if at all, weather should alternate between periods of fair skies with occasional light rain. Heat lighting is okay (helps maintain the ozone layer) but strictly no cloud to ground (or vice versa) lighting is acceptable. I would prefer living in a solar system with no Oort cloud orbiting its star or any asteroid belt, I'm not fond of unannounced visitors. Also any NEOs will negate the sale following inspection, (though the "E" will have to be replaced with whatever I name the planet). You know what they say about real estate: "Location, location, location!," so I was thinking (if the price is not too exorbitant) that a solar system nearer the galactic center would be nice! Not only would you have more to see in the sky at night, but with a good pair of binoculars you could watch the central black hole sucking in stars and some of the cheaper, less desirable planets.

P.S. If the moon option is not available, you can substitute a planetary ring system as I think they are neat!

Edited by Sundew

Since I'm in the market for a new planet I have a few questions; Does my planet come with it's own moon or do I have to have one brought in? I would prefer a planet with a rotational period of 26 earth hours, as I find I'm not getting quite enough sleep lately (worrying about having to purchase that moon). I would like it to have a 25/73/2% O2/N/CO2 ratio since that will make both breathing and gardening easier, trace gases (except Radon) are okay. Gravity should be 85% of earth normal, since I've put on a little weight over the years and find it more difficult to get around. Year round temperature should be about 78 degrees F. by day and 68 by night (for comfort during those extra two hours of sleep I'll be getting). All animal life should be edible and preferably tasty. Nothing should have fangs, claws, venom or be poisonous if eaten (they should also not be very bright, see the above "difficult to get around" reference). All water sources for drinking should be natural artesian springs at 35 degrees, for bathing mineral hot springs with a maximum of 102 degrees is fine, naturally effervescent water would be even better. As for the star the planet will be orbiting, I'm not really too fussy, a red dwarf would even be okay as I have always like sunsets on earth. As for the planets habitability, seismic activity should be at a minimum, if at all, weather should alternate between periods of fair skies with occasional light rain. Heat lighting is okay (helps maintain the ozone layer) but strictly no cloud to ground (or vice versa) lighting is acceptable. I would prefer living in a solar system with no Oort cloud orbiting its star or any asteroid belt, I'm not fond of unannounced visitors. Also any NEOs will negate the sale following inspection, (though the "E" will have to be replaced with whatever I name the planet). You know what they say about real estate: "Location, location, location!," so I was thinking (if the price is not too exorbitant) that a solar system nearer the galactic center would be nice! Not only would you have more to see in the sky at night, but with a good pair of binoculars you could watch the central black hole sucking in stars and some of the cheaper, less desirable planets.

P.S. If the moon option is not available, you can substitute a planetary ring system as I think they are neat!

JUst call "SlartyBartfast" ANd He will customize you a Planet of your wildest dreams ! complete with all the Fiddley bits ! just DONT PANIC !

justDONTEATUS :rolleyes:

Do you buy it when its full or when there's just a thin slice showing ? 1/2 lb of your best Moondust pleez,

So, the US was first to the moon. It's possible we can be the first to another celestial body. I say we keep it for ourselves and only allow Americans with valid leases from our government to go there and stay, wherever we happen to land. The reason is that it would set out a single, rational and tested form of government for the whole she-bang. It saves a lot of time and effort for the new inhabitants that can't get along with the neighbors. Think about it. It makes sense.

Heck if there really are as many potentially habitable places just in our galaxy: 1. why fight over any particular one 2. why bring our disagreements to any of them. Get there first, nobody home already, keep it.

Astronomer types are suggesting 140 billion planets in the correct range from their sun, not to mention the many billions of other planets and moons just waiting to be mined and more.

I say find and keep what you are able to reach. Heck, it kind of makes me think of my grandsons. They could in theory each have their own continent on some far off planet. Cool.

I've always wanted a piece of Uranus. ^_^

I can't believe it took 41 posts before someone said that :w00t:

They will just re-po any planet we try to buy and Sell on the Intergalatic market ! Ive sent -em- wit my own three eyes . They move in from deep space really quick jack up the rockiest corner of your planet,slip the hoist under And THere GONE ! Off to the Universial Pound ! and man its a boat load to Hock it outta there ! :innocent:

Ideally - nobody should be able to own a planet in my opinion. In reality though? For the right price, EVERYTHING is for sale. Maybe if we sell enough planets to billionaires we can trick them all into visiting their new property. Space travel is a dangerous business, some of them at least are likely to die. Our currently planet would benefit from having a few less billionaires around.

Ideally - nobody should be able to own a planet in my opinion. In reality though? For the right price, EVERYTHING is for sale. Maybe if we sell enough planets to billionaires we can trick them all into visiting their new property. Space travel is a dangerous business, some of them at least are likely to die. Our currently planet would benefit from having a few less billionaires around.

The private sector in space exploration is growing. More billionaires that are interested in these subjects and less jealousy from others would be better...

Dumb idea though, trying to sell a planet.....if I had the money i'd just start my own space agency and line the pocket of a small country to base it from, no chance i'm buying a piece of something from someone who 'owns' no part of it...

I can't believe it took 41 posts before someone said that :w00t:

Me too! I was totally expecting someone would have by then...

I've always wanted a piece of Uranus. ^_^

Beware of the Kiingons.

With current technology you can have that piece of your planet in say, 10,000 years. Hope they have AARP and Medicare!

Okay, suppose a private company is able to finance, build and mount an exploration of the asteroid belt. They find a large rock that is within their capabilities to break up, or move, or mine and they bring the result back to Earth. Some of the rocks up there are almost entirely heavy metals. Suddenly, gold drops back to 360 bucks an ounce. So what, there are so many industrial uses for gold, not to mention it looks nice ornamentally, that they still make a substantial return on their expedition. Does anyone think that something like that would not spur thousands of visionaries, and probably millions of fools as well, to invest?

What if we could clear our national debt through a judicious release of the metals found? What if we could find some new and rare metal or mineral that does away with some dread disease? What if...

The time will come. There are businesses with this vision. The crunch will come when a US flagged expedition comes into conflict with an expedition with another flag. Or, maybe, simply because of the enormity of the universe it becomes almost laughable to fight over the bounty. Who cares what anyone 'owns'; afterall, the Moon for instance is all land, no oceans, which means you can plop down almost anywhere that will accomodate your craft. Why do I care that a Russian or Chinese group is on the other side of the crater? I can only work the plot I have the resources to work anyway, which is the same as them.

Remember, the Moon is 1/6th the size of Earth, with a lower gravity to match. This means someone could theoretically mine 6 times as deep as on Earth, if there is anything to get by mining. A comparison of the available land on Earth compared to the available land on the Moon would be interesting.

Someday, Man will cross the cosmos to other systems. With an estimated upwards of 140 billion potentially habitable planets in our galaxy alone there is 'space' for everyone - literally.