Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Billionaires should be allowed to buy planets

Still Waters

And, who are we to decide as to whether or not we can buy planets? The only planet that we inhabit is earth (which we do not own). Ah, humans - so arrogant and self-righteous. Arrogance and self righteousness will be the downfall of our species, simply due to the fact that there are extraterrestrials (assumedly) much more technologically capable and intelligent than what we are. It is only a matter of time before we encounter one another, and then... poof. Bye-bye arrogance, bye-bye humans.

Edited by Alienated Being

I think before any billionaire would get there, nations would be planting flags, thus forming colonies. That seems to be all countries need to do to claim real estate...Plant a flag somewhere.

Indigenous creature, "But, this is my country!" Colonist, "Do you have a flag?"

buy to who? i already don't understand how can you buy land on earth. earth belong to everybody. now another planet don't belong to us. are we explorers or collonisers.

I think we should encourage them to buy all the exo-planets they want...

Charge them $100 Million (or equivalent) each, and put in the fine print that they have ten years to get there to post their claim..

Failure to do so forfeits their entire purchase price to the "International Cure Stupidity Fund"... When they complain say "See... You're smarter already!"

Seriously though, the International Legal Eagles need to get together and firmly establish laws to govern ownership of exo-planets (Natives have automatic ownership of course)...

If someone or some group actually spends the money, time and effort to get to another planet, they should get some benefit... Perhaps a legal claim to an area surrounding the landing site - just for fun lets say 10 miles radius (~16 km)... This title deed would be good for say 5 years and then expire unless the site is developed...

How does something like that sound?

They could help feed the population we already have on this planet! The government could place a percentage of the " billions" tax payers money and put it to a human cause!

Let them buy all the planets so they can have dibs on destroying them too. Yayeeeeeeeethumbsup.gif

I wonder if they'll make room for all of the arks extinct animals? Oh but wait lets make sure we take religion with us an give existence another go! I also wonder how efficient our man made poisons would be on other planets?rolleyes.gif

I've got a better idea: How about we cryogenically freeze Bill Gates, and then catapult him into the confines of space, never to be seen again.

What a ridicluous idea. They want to buy a freaking PLANET?

I think we should encourage them to buy all the exo-planets they want...

Charge them $100 Million (or equivalent) each, and put in the fine print that they have ten years to get there to post their claim..

Failure to do so forfeits their entire purchase price to the "International Cure Stupidity Fund"... When they complain say "See... You're smarter already!"

Seriously though, the International Legal Eagles need to get together and firmly establish laws to govern ownership of exo-planets (Natives have automatic ownership of course)...

If someone or some group actually spends the money, time and effort to get to another planet, they should get some benefit... Perhaps a legal claim to an area surrounding the landing site - just for fun lets say 10 miles radius (~16 km)... This title deed would be good for say 5 years and then expire unless the site is developed...

How does something like that sound?

Sounds terribly bad to my ears.

Who will they give the money to? Who currently owns other planets to begin with? Who will be given the property of these planets and given the right to sell them?

This sound like major bull. Perhaps just another fantasy for ultra-rich, selfish people.

"Humm, with this money I could either make something very useful or... I could just buy a planet. Yeeeahhhh!"

Peace.

Sounds terribly bad to my ears.

Who will they give the money to? Who currently owns other planets to begin with? Who will be given the property of these planets and given the right to sell them?

This sound like major bull. Perhaps just another fantasy for ultra-rich, selfish people.

"Humm, with this money I could either make something very useful or... I could just buy a planet. Yeeeahhhh!"

Peace.

As I said, the time to codify exo-planet "real estate laws" is now... If there is incentive to go there and develop, then someone will go there and develop... and who else could do it except for governments or the very wealthy...

Plus it needs to be codified early on about the rights of any natives, and the limitations of Earthlings in that instance...

The penalties I listed (forfeiture of funds for non-development) is generally in keeping with curent 'homesteading' laws, and would keep the 'casual' investor more 'down to Earth'...

Laws would be needed to determine where the money goes, who assigns the deeds, etc... Other wise it will be 'first come first served' and totally chaotic - once we get to where we can actually go...

I'm not a big fan of the UN, but I can't see any other organization that could run something like this... Otherwise it just gets into a big 'Nationalist' race much like the Colonial powers in Africa in the 1800-1900's and in the Western Hemisphere in the 1500-1900's...

Until space flight becomes so common and so fast that anyone can do it, only those who can afford to will... Some of them might be selfish, heck you don't have to be rich to be selfish - but the time to make sure the rewards belong to all is now...

Edited by Taun

As I said, the time to codify exo-planet "real estate laws" is now... If there is incentive to go there and develop, then someone will go there and develop... and who else could do it except for governments or the very wealthy...

Plus it needs to be codified early on about the rights of any natives, and the limitations of Earthlings in that instance...

The penalties I listed (forfeiture of funds for non-development) is generally in keeping with curent 'homesteading' laws, and would keep the 'casual' investor more 'down to Earth'...

Laws would be needed to determine where the money goes, who assigns the deeds, etc... Other wise it will be 'first come first served' and totally chaotic - once we get to where we can actually go...

I'm not a big fan of the UN, but I can't see any other organization that could run something like this... Otherwise it just gets into a big 'Nationalist' race much like the Colonial powers in Africa in the 1800-1900's and in the Western Hemisphere in the 1500-1900's...

Until space flight becomes so common and so fast that anyone can do it, only those who can afford to will... Some of them might be selfish, heck you don't have to be rich to be selfish - but the time to make sure the rewards belong to all is now...

Yeah well I would rather expect people to go on and deal with our current problems before thinking about spending money to buy other planets. Seriously, by the time we are able to effectively colonize other planets, or simply visit them, we could very well be dead in majority.

So finally, I think there are priorities that we should deal with before thinking about a planetary market. But I agree it would be awesome to go on and visit/colonize them. Just not a priority for now. I think we need to re-consider our ways of living now on this planet in the first place to make sure we don't go and f-up elsewhere.

My thoughts.

Peace.

Yeah well I would rather expect people to go on and deal with our current problems before thinking about spending money to buy other planets. Seriously, by the time we are able to effectively colonize other planets, or simply visit them, we could very well be dead in majority.

So finally, I think there are priorities that we should deal with before thinking about a planetary market. But I agree it would be awesome to go on and visit/colonize them. Just not a priority for now. I think we need to re-consider our ways of living now on this planet in the first place to make sure we don't go and f-up elsewhere.

My thoughts.

Peace.

Kinda understand what you're saying... but there are 6+ billion people on this planet... maybe we don't ALL have to be working on the same priority... Maybe we can spare 1 or 2 people to think of solving future problems... :)

Edited by Taun

Nobody should be allowed to buy a planet. No one. Especially not wicked Government.

This is about as selfish as a Human Being can get. It's not enough that some of these people own entire continents, but now they want a whole planet?

O_O

Are they kidding ?

I think perhaps not.

Hypothetical,lets just say the Talessian Tentacle People live on planet X,and Bill Gates decides to buy it.

Who does he pay ?

The Talessian Tentacle People,(who have a fondness for human liver paté ,with some fava beans),or some agency here on earth,who own nothing in space ?

Mr gates would offer to pay whoever owns it. But, your statement rather answers the question.

Will there then be space wars over lands we dont own ?

I mean who is the landlord of the moon ?

Does the USA own it,Russia ?

Like the Earth, no one owns the Moon. Nor can they.

The only thing ripe, is the brain of the moron who thought up this idea .

Space stations I get,but a planet ?

There you go!

May the Talessians dine heartily on Bill Gates hepatic sweet meats.

Yes...with Fava beans and a nice Chianti!

:tu:

Kinda understand what you're saying... but there are 6+ billion people on this planet... maybe we don't ALL have to be working on the same priority... Maybe we can spare 1 or 2 people to think of solving future problems... :)

Just so you know, we have gotten to 7 billions now. :lol:

I also understand what you mean.

As far as priorities go, I simply think it's everyone's priority to preserve life and it's integrity the best we can. In other words, to make sure everyone can at least sustain their basic needs and have a chance in life including our own selves.

We are not talking about people trying to solve future problems here but more about very rich and selfish people bored enough to dream about owning a friggin' planet.

Anyways, this is going off-topic here.

My thoughts.

Peace.

Edited by JayMark

• 4 weeks later...

As far as priorities go, I simply think it's everyone's priority to preserve life and it's integrity the best we can. In other words, to make sure everyone can at least sustain their basic needs and have a chance in life including our own selves.

We are not talking about people trying to solve future problems here but more about very rich and selfish people bored enough to dream about owning a friggin' planet.

Anyways, this is going off-topic here.

My thoughts.

Peace.

Yep. You did drift into another discussion altogether there for a moment.

Indeed, your agenda appears to be against the" rich and selfish", who may dream of owning another planet (I don't think they do...the idea is wiped out before it can be entertained (and it cannot be seriously entertained)).

It's just a thread about a dumb concept that cannot be entertained.

What are you really trying to say here?

I am already emperor of the universe, cause i said so...

• Like 1

Am i missing something here have we developed a system were we can travel from planet to planet in a matter of weeks instead of years, I mean whats the friggan point of it all if you cant set foot on the planet??

Am i missing something here have we developed a system were we can travel from planet to planet in a matter of weeks instead of years, I mean whats the friggan point of it all if you cant set foot on the planet??

There really isn't much of a point to the idea...unless people just want to talk.

Even if we could move between planets in a matter of weeks, it wouldn't make any difference.

No one can own a planet.

Sounds like a pipe dream to me but I mean Bill Gates definatley has the money

Yeah and here is one way for the world to get some of it back from him I suppose :w00t:

How much does a planet go for these days, and what are the costs associated with exploiting it to the point where one might occupy it..after one could even get to it! :td:

Yeah and here is one way for the world to get some of it back from him I suppose :w00t:

Does Mr. Gates owe someone for something?

How much does a planet go for these days, and what are the costs associated with exploiting it to the point where one might occupy it..after one could even get to it! :td:

YES! lol He owes me every version of windows that stopped working, roughly a few hundred dollars. Or I can just blame myself for not updating my norton.

No, not anyone particularly - but he should know that hoarding is a mental disease. :whistle: