Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Hypatia''s teachings stand a chance?

Passenger

This morning i had a thought for Hypatia ,probably because i visited Alexandria recently - and am still under the spell- Hypatia , THE iconic lady philosopher of Alexandria , who also was a brilliant mathematician , taught philosophy to pagans and Christians...daughter of Theon ( texts on euclidean subspace ) .. she lived for her knowledge and died stoned .

Did her visionary neoplatonic ideas even stand a chance in the spiritually tormented Alexandria of that era ?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Passenger

• Simbi Laveau

• Taun

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning i had a thought for Hypatia ,probably because i visited Alexandria recently - and am still under the spell- Hypatia , THE iconic lady philosopher of Alexandria , who also was a brilliant mathematician , taught philosophy to pagans and Christians...daughter of Theon ( texts on euclidean subspace ) .. she lived for her knowledge and died stoned .

Did her visionary neoplatonic ideas even stand a chance in the spiritually tormented Alexandria of that era ?

for more insight:

http://faithljustice.wordpress.com/

I adore Egyptian maus,so when I had arranged to adopt one,I started looking at Egyptian names.

That was when i first heard of her.Facinating woman.

I ended up getting a boy,so girl names became redundant in this instance.One of my maus is from Alexandria though.

I adore Egyptian maus,so when I had arranged to adopt one,I started looking at Egyptian names.

That was when i first heard of her.Facinating woman.

I ended up getting a boy,so girl names became redundant in this instance.One of my maus is from Alexandria though.

maus? as in mouse ? sorry . don't see what u mean...

maus? as in mouse ? sorry . don't see what u mean...

A Mau is a breed of cat... Supposedly one of the original breeds...

If you like Hypatia (she always intrested me as well) there is a movie out called "Agora" (if I remember correctly) starring Rachel Weis and it is about her... Dramatised of course, but largely historical from what I understand...

A Mau is a breed of cat... Supposedly one of the original breeds...

If you like Hypatia (she always intrested me as well) there is a movie out called "Agora" (if I remember correctly) starring Rachel Weis and it is about her... Dramatised of course, but largely historical from what I understand...

thanks a lot .. now i see

Mau means cat in ancient Egyptian.

It is said all cats are descended from maus.

Maus were revered and considered treasures in Egypt.

Certain cities were dedicated to maus.

I know Memphis was one such city.

The Egyptian government now tries to kill and poison the maus.Locals kill and maim them.It's shameful .

I work with an organization that gets maus out of Egypt,and adopted .

I have maus from Alexandria,Heliopolis,and Cairo.Amazing cats. Nothing like cat from the USA,personality wise.

Maus are also the fastest domestic cats because of an extra flap on their legs.They've been clocked running at 30+ miles an hour I believe.

Edited by Simbi Laveau