Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Military Jet Fighters pursue UFO

karl 12

Pretty crazy UFO incident from Uruguay in 1986 where two Pucara jet fighters were sent up to intercept a strange luminous object hovering over Palmar Dam which flew off at a 'dizzying rate of speed' as the aircraft approached -when the pilots returned to base the object reappeared in the same place and the aircraft yet again attempted and failed to intercept the object.

Colonel Ariel Sanchez, head of the Uruguayan Air Force UFO Office goes into more detail below about how the object changed colours from yellow to orange to red as it increased its acceleration and also mentions how a power blackout of Montevideo occurred at the same time of the incident due to the overheating of a power line which was directly underneath the spot where the UFO was seen over the dam.

UFO chase over Palmar Dam

jp4f7ffd56.jpg

Unsolved cases have a considerable high strangeness quotient for the FAU. For example, the 1986 pursuit by two Pucara jet fighters over the Palmar Dam in response to the maneuvers of a luminous sphere. The pilots joined together and decided to chase it. When they were about to intercept it, the sphere flew off at a dizzying rate of speed toward Argentina and could not be reached. When the pilots returned to their base, the sphere reappeared over the dam. But the same thing occurred - the chase occurred and it vanished from sight, changing colors from red to yellow

link

Interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiK7P0RYL3o

Among those 40 cases with a high Level of Strangeness which one caught your attention the most?

Could you describe it?

The most shocking events involved Uruguayan aircraft pursuing a UFO. It occurred mainly in 1986. Two military aircraft tried to intercept a UFO which entered Uruguayan airspace without authorization. I believe the Official UFO Night in Brazil occurred in the same year and month (19 May 1986).

Do you believe this UFO pursuit in Uruguay was part of the same phenomenon seen in Brazil (When more than 20 round-shaped UFOs of around 100m in diameter jammed radars of several capitals in South-Eastern Brazil)?

I would have to check the dates in our files, but it is possible. It was around 20h30 when those two fighters I’ve mentioned tried to approach an object maneuvering over a dam. They tried twice to reach the UFO. They didn’t succeed because the object managed to escape maneuvering at great speed which our aircraft could not follow.

What were the procedures adopted in the investigation of this case?

We collected all the flight data such as the type of our aircraft, duration and speed of their flight, etc, then we had a thorough interview with the pilots. They were four pilots aboard two Argentine-made FMAIA 58 Pucara — a two-turboprop-engined aircraft for fast combat. (Pucara means fortress in Quechua language. This aircraft was often used during the war over the Falklands). The Pucara reached a 400 to 500/h speed but the UFO was much faster. We estimate it to be at around 1.000 km/h. That was double our speed if not more.

Besides the incredible speed did the UFO display any other signals of a possible extraordinary origin?

Yes. A peculiar thing was seeing the object changing colors while increasing its acceleration. It went from yellow to orange then turned red. It moved away at an enormous speed until it disappeared from our sight. In a second attempt to intercept it, the object did the same thing: when the Pucara got closer, the UFO vanished at an incredible speed towards the West. Without much they could do the pilots simply quit the pursuit and returned to the base.

For how long did they try to intercept the UFO in that second attempt?

Just for a few minutes, because it vanished when the pilots tried to approach. Strangely enough, the object always returned to the same spot after our aircraft moved away — as if it were playing with our crewmen. There was a moment when the UFO was surrounding the dam and our pilots tried to reach it with a fast maneuver - one with a 30 or 40-second response

Then what happened?

When the object noticed the maneuver it moved away to the West at a high speed.

What happened to the pilots after such an experience?

Due to the stress they cancelled their training and returned to the Durazno Air Base (FAU’s most important site, located in the middle of the country). By getting there they reported the event to the officials. At the same time they learned that Montevideo had been hit by a blackout. It lasted for a few minutes and affected the whole city. It was due to the overheating of a power line which came from the exact spot where the UFO was seen over the dam. I should add that the Durazno base is where pilot trainings are mostly held. There are many different aircraft stationed there.

Did Cridovni consider one fact against the other? That is, did you associate the UFO over the dam with

the blackout in Montevideo?

Yes. We believed the object must have affected the power line in some way causing the overheating. This is a supposition based on technical data provided by the power company itself (Usinas y Trasmisiones Eléctricas - UTE). Their technicians detected an overheating in some transformers in the line that supplies the capital city. We suppose this might be a result of that incident. After all, there must be a reason why it was over the dam. It must have been doing something there. What it was we don’t know. Security guards and employees also witnessed the object flight around the dam that night. The object was seen from the ground and from the air. This leaves no doubt about its materiality.

Did you talk with the Pucara pilots? How was their emotional?

They were quite surprised with what they had seen. I personally interviewed the four of them, one by one, pursuant to our protocol for investigation. All narratives were coincident regarding the shape and maneuvers of the object. Our crewmen were affected by what they experienced.

Do they still work in the Air Force?

Only one of them remains in the Air Force.

Would you like to have been in their feet? What would have been your reaction if you were in one of those Pucara?

I would love to have been there (laughing), but I think my reaction would also be one of total surprise. Actually, I don’t know what I would do at the time. One never knows. The aircraft involved were twoturboprop-engined fighters. There could have been some kind of hostility between the parties. However, in such situation the pilot must ask for permission before taking any action such as to fire a missile. There is a protocol for that in our country. According to Uruguayan law, we can’t fire at an aircraft unless under presidential orders or in a real combat situation. A pilot might think about doing something, but will be subjected to superior orders and to the protocol for interception of unknown vehicles.

Full length translated interview:

PDF File

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karl 12

• PersonFromPorlock

• DONTEATUS

Just as a fiddly comment, the Pucara is a twin-turboprop counter-insurgency aircraft, not a 'jet fighter'.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

I think I would have to ck out my pilots If they are flying at dizzying rates of speed and are not used to chaseing down UFO`s?

Another great find Karl! :tu:

I know that I don't have to tell you Karl that the abilities of UFOs in evading military attention are both phenomenal and well documented and are always a fascinating read. Similarly UFOs causing blackouts or other electrical interference seem to be just as prolific, and along with the many convincing accounts of 'observation' and 'possible interaction' at many nuclear military installations is in my opinion reason enough for the utmost serious research into the phenomena by the worlds elite scientific-security organisations...(Which by the way, I believe has been practised covertly, for many decades.)

You are probably already familiar with this link my friend, but i'll post it anyway because I found it an excellent read...

http://www.ufodigest.com/article/shedding-light-ufo-related-blackouts

Cheers buddy.

1963, I certainly agree with your comments there mate and many thanks for that link. :tu: To my mind ths Palamar dam case has got a lot of interesting features (not to mention being first reported by high ranking military members of the Uruguayan Government's official Air Force UFO Office) -I found the fact the unknown object returned to the exact same spot above the dam after evading military jets at a 'dizzying speed' quite intriguing -also the fact that the object was described by pilots as 'changing colours whilst it accelerated' sounded very interesting and wonder if there are any similar reports of this same characteristic from other military UFO cases.

All the best mate.

Just as a fiddly comment, the Pucara is a twin-turboprop counter-insurgency aircraft, not a 'jet fighter'.

You obviously need to learn about the Falklands war much better....

Link

ttp://www.milavia.net/aircraft/ia58/ia58.htm

FMA IA 58 Pucará

Role: counter insurgency, close air support, light attack

Builder: Fabrica Militar de Aviones (FMA)

Variants: IA 58A, IA 58B, IA 58C, IA66

Operators: Argentina, Colombia, Sri Lanka, Uruguay

IA 58 is a two-seat light attack aircraft powered by two turboprop engines. It was designed for the COIN (counterinsurgency) and CAS (close air support) roles for the Argentine Air Force. It has narrow fuselage and tail section and a tandem seat cockpit with a steep sloping nose. Because of the steep nose the pilot has excellent forward visibility. Although heavily armed the weapons are unguided and visually aimed by the crew. The IA 58 only needs a minimum of ground support to operate, it is able to operate from unprepared rough terrains.

The IA 58A is the main production variant of the Pucará design. About 108 aircraft were built for Argentina of which 6 were sold to Uruguay. About 3 aircraft were captured by the United Kingdom during the Falkland War, they are now preserved by the RAF.

The IA 58B is basically a IA 58A with 30mm cannons in place of the 20mm cannons present in the A model. Although a prototype has been developed, none were produced.

The IA 58C is a mulri-role single-seat version of the Pucará. The changes included the addition of a Head-up Display, IFF (identification friend of foe), 30-mm DEFA 553 cannons in the nose, two extra hardpoints for Magic 2 Air-to-Air missiles and additional weapons capability, including Martin Pescador anti-ship missiles.

The IA 66 prototype was a IA 58A model fitted with 1,000-shp Garrett TPE331-11-601W turboprops, none were produced.

The IA 58A is also operated by Colombia, Sri Lanka and Uruguay but only in small numbers.

I dont think it matters the type of aircraft. The fact appears to be that it was unable to intercept the alleged UFO :)

You obviously need to learn about the Falklands war much better....

LOL, that was where the Argentineans learned the Pucara isn't a jet fighter.

I thought that the "pucara" was a monster in Mexico,and Central America ?

Or was that that little fish in the Amazon? :innocent:

Edited by DONTEATUS

..also the fact that the object was described by pilots as 'changing colours whilst it accelerated' sounded very interesting and wonder if there are any similar reports of this same characteristic from other military UFO cases.

Thanks for the replies and information and opinions on Pucara Jet Fighters- for those that are interested in this sort of thing, below are some speculative reports on the subject of UFOs changing colour during acceleration:

Brightness and color changes are also noted, and while the sample is small (82 cases) NICAP found the following: Of the 25 cases showing a change in brightness, 23 of the changes occurred at the moment of a velocity change (a change of either magnitude or direction). Concerning the change of color, 23 cases showed a color change related to acceleration. While the supporting data are not conclusive, it appears that the spectral shift is to the red upon acceleration.

The RAND Corporation, 'UFOs: What to Do'

All UFO colors stem from energetic, ionizing radiation or radiations, generated by the UFO, which ionize the air.

Of all the visible colors, red and orange correspond to the least energy. They are also the two most common colors associated with UFO low-power operation, such as hovering or low-power maneuvers. The electrons have been given the ionization energy, but not much more, and cascade down in small energy drops corresponding to red or orange. This is statistically probable, as there are more small drops available than big ones.

UNCONVENTIONAL FLYING OBJECTS, A Scientific Analysis by Paul R. Hill