Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man shoots four-inch nail into his heart

Still Waters

A New Jersey man is making a quick recovery after accidentally shooting a 4-inch (10cm) nail into his heart.

Dennis Hennis, a 52-year-old self-employed builder, was working on his neighbour's roof when his nail gun jammed and he tried to clear it.

The nail pierced the right side of his heart and he went into cardiac arrest.

His surgeon credited Mr Hennis' recovery to prompt medical attention and knowing that he should not remove the nail himself.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• csspwns

• diablo_04

• Still Waters

• Simbi Laveau

This reminds me of a movie Final Destination

I'm guessing that if he had an angel looking over him, he wouldn't have shot himself in the first place.

Nail guns have a built in safety switch, you would have to try pretty hard to shoot yourself with one.

How do you accidentally shoot it into your heart? Maybe a little drinky drink going on there huh?

Edited by Freshness

Its very easy done to shoot yourself or some one else with a nail gun, Ive been shot in the hands,feet,knee & hip & that's just by the people working with me.But like any gun you never face it towards yourself or people when fixing/cleaning etc etc. ps: good luck with your recovery Dennis.

So what was his first thought and how long did it take him to make that thought up? My guess: "*uck!" (0.4s)

Edited by Rolci

So what was his first thought and how long did it take him to make that thought up? My guess: "*uck!" (0.4s)

"Hmmm". :mellow:

Its very easy done to shoot yourself or some one else with a nail gun, Ive been shot in the hands,feet,knee & hip & that's just by the people working with me.But like any gun you never face it towards yourself or people when fixing/cleaning etc etc. ps: good luck with your recovery Dennis.

Yeah easy if you're working in a place that is grossly inadequate in a number of different areas. How did you get shot 4 times while working?

So how many other people have shot you with a nail gun? Have you ever shot yourself?

Edit: How many people have you shot?

Edited by Timonthy

Yeah easy if you're working in a place that is grossly inadequate in a number of different areas. How did you get shot 4 times while working?

So how many other people have shot you with a nail gun? Have you ever shot yourself?

Edit: How many people have you shot?

Actually, I'd be more wondering if someone was out to get me. Getting shot once, accident. Getting shot 4 times, you start to wonder. Maybe he's not a very popular person on his crew.

It is possible that Steve Irwin, the "Crocodile Hunter" might be alive today if he had not pulled the stingray barb out of his heart when the ray struck him in the chest. Of course there would be the matter of slime and venom with a sting ray wound. I supposed given the pain and the shock of such an event one would certainly WANT to pull the barb or the nail out of one's chest.

What a death cheater Dennis is. U better be careful or it will come back to get u,and dumb the damn nailgun.whatever happened to the old and trusted hammer

Dumb Dumb Dumb, When clearing a jam, always undo the air hose! I have three framing guns, and Have not seen one yet, that shoots a 4" nail. The longest is 3 1/2" .

Love Omnaka