Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boat Race: Man charged over swimming incident

Arbenol

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spud the mackem

• Still Waters

• Arbenol

• itsnotoutthere

It took an aussie to liven up the most boring sporting event you could possibly conceive of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rowing/17645929

I can't fault his motives.

Damned Aussie Larrikans :rolleyes: .

That said, it really wasn't that funny, one of the crew ended up in hospital from over exertion - Having to restart the race would have contributed to stress and fatigue for them all - no, that ain't funny, hope the tool has learned his lesson.disgust.gif

I don't take much notice of it other than wondering who wins. I'm glad Cambridge won it though, as my late dad's from there and he used to like the boat race. I always think of him when it's on.

It's only The Establishment who think that the boat race is good TV. (Most of them have always come from the two schools involved)

p.s. harmless fun until you invite Australians. lol

Edited by Eldorado

They should have taken his head off, now that would have made good t.v.

Hope everyone will pardon me for being dense but why? What was he protesting? In America when that happens the guy would just be in his cups :P

Hope everyone will pardon me for being dense but why? What was he protesting? In America when that happens the guy would just be in his cups :P

He's probably 'special needs'.

He spoiled the day for everyone concerned,these guys train for a whole year,its a tradition,and the taking part is an honour,apart from the t.v watched by millions,what a cretin,make him swim the length of the course Without a wet suit,and dont help him out if he survives...

Last time I looked the right of protest was not illegal in the UK - then again who knows what laws the ConDems have slipped thru in the past few weeks/months.

He interrupted a pointless commercial event that has no place in sport.

It took an aussie to liven up the most boring sporting event you could possibly conceive of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rowing/17645929

And what were his motives?

He said he was campaigning against "elitism", but I can't see what's elitist about a group of university students taking part in a boat race.

And it seems that him campaigning against "elitism" is like the pot calling the kettle black. Because he went to a fee-paying school.

Last time I looked the right of protest was not illegal in the UK - then again who knows what laws the ConDems have slipped thru in the past few weeks/months.

The right to peaceful protest is not illegal in the UK, such as marching down the street with banners. However, this lunatic was not peacefully protesting. He was arrested on suspicion of a Section 5 public order offence, namely behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress

But he is lucky. He could either have been very nearly charged with manslaughter, due to the fact that a member of the Oxford team collapsed with exhaustion at the end of the race because of the amount of time that the boats were on the water because of the idiot's actions and had to be rushed to hospital, or he could have been decapitated by the oars of the boats, which are very sharp (it's a pity he wasn't).

I also find it concerning that something like this should happen just over 100 days before the 2012 London Olympics start. Hopefully we'll not have such security breaches during the Games.

He interrupted a sporting event watched by millions of people on television and interrupted a sporting event which the 18 athletes who took part in it trained gruellingly for for seven months, which was the culmination of their careers and which was very nearly ruined because of the actions of a left-wing clown.

And Oldfield seems to be a bit strange. He should be locked up under the Mental Health Act. Read this Trenton Oldfield's 'little war': Bizarre online ramblings of the Boat Race fanatic http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126702/Trenton-Oldfield-Boat-Race-2012-protest-swimmers-bizarre-online-ramblings.html#ixzz1rTEJwqRKhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126702/Trenton-Oldfield-Boat-Race-2012-protest-swimmers-bizarre-online-ramblings.html

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

You have to use a bit of "intelligence" ie consideration for others when protesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rowing/17645929

You are dead wrong there blue,the most boring event ever is watching Oz trying to play CRICKET....Shambles unlimited...

-post removed-

I am a Brit.

Incidentally I went to a sheep shearing contest on saturday. It was even more boring than the boat race - if that's possible.

Edited by Still Waters

You are dead wrong there blue,the most boring event ever is watching Oz trying to play CRICKET....Shambles unlimited...

:tu:

Although I'd extend that to watching anybody play cricket

I love how someone who graduated from an elitist college, runs an elitist business that stays afloat because of his family's money gets to make a stand against elitism "I've benefited from elitism, but now that I'm all done doing so, elitism is bad!".

I am a Brit.

Incidentally I went to a sheep shearing contest on saturday. It was even more boring than the boat race - if that's possible.

Ha Ha good one Pom,at least you're honest.My sport (religion) is Footy.My apologies for thinking you were Oz..I've been there a few times and its ok apart from the beer,which is a joke,but you can't win them all I guess.cheers..

My sport (religion) is Footy.

Agreed.

Down here everyone's mad for this strange sport they call 'footy'. As far as I can tell the only rules are that someone picks up a 'ball' (I use this term loosely), and then everyone else tries to stick their heads between his thighs.

And they have the nerve to call it a 'real man's game'.

Agreed.

Down here everyone's mad for this strange sport they call 'footy'. As far as I can tell the only rules are that someone picks up a 'ball' (I use this term loosely), and then everyone else tries to stick their heads between his thighs.

And they have the nerve to call it a 'real man's game'.

STOP!!!!! :w00t::rofl::w00t: you're killing me..... :w00t:

STOP!!!!! :w00t::rofl::w00t: you're killing me..... :w00t:

Thats not footy Bro' thats a very strange game called Rugby,where they pick up the ball which is shaped like a prune,run away with it with everyone chasing,until he's caught or drops it,and they have no goal keeper,then they kick it over the goal between 2 long posts,to score..and they have 15 players,then they have a "scrum" where they try to grab your nuts or bite your ears,really wierd man...not like the beautifull game of football where skill is involved...but I guess the Oz dont know about that...skill I mean...nothing skillfull about necking a "Tinney",and shouting loudly "Good on yer Blue"...Slainte !

I studied at Oxford and was very disappointed at the outcome of Saturday's race. Not so much the result itself, but the antics of some pretentious nonentity who will leave no trace of his existence in the pages of history other than this act of tomfoolery! Posters on this thread have remarked how boring the Boat Race is - OK, that is your opinion, good luck to it. It's the same opinion that causes me to switch off the TV when the prospect looms of watching 22 over-paid semi-morons kick a ball from one end of a patch of grass to another, but I wouldn't drive a plough across their pitch to prevent the event going ahead! I know how much these rowers put into this race and the fact that some weirdo leftie who's arrogant enough to think he has the right to interfere with other people's day out leaves me wishing that one or other of the bow men had decapitated the twerp with his oar!

BTW, he 'studied' at the London School of Economics, a notorious breeding ground for rebels without a clue! His subject? 'Contemporary Urbanism'! Let's see what the LSE's prospectus says - the contemporary urbanism course teaches the need to recognise and build upon the ‘cultural diversity’ of cities and requires students to be ‘sensitive to social and cultural difference’. That sounds like it'll be useful then!

I studied at Oxford and was very disappointed at the outcome of Saturday's race. Not so much the result itself, but the antics of some pretentious nonentity who will leave no trace of his existence in the pages of history other than this act of tomfoolery! Posters on this thread have remarked how boring the Boat Race is - OK, that is your opinion, good luck to it. It's the same opinion that causes me to switch off the TV when the prospect looms of watching 22 over-paid semi-morons kick a ball from one end of a patch of grass to another, but I wouldn't drive a plough across their pitch to prevent the event going ahead! I know how much these rowers put into this race and the fact that some weirdo leftie who's arrogant enough to think he has the right to interfere with other people's day out leaves me wishing that one or other of the bow men had decapitated the twerp with his oar!

BTW, he 'studied' at the London School of Economics, a notorious breeding ground for rebels without a clue! His subject? 'Contemporary Urbanism'! Let's see what the LSE's prospectus says - the contemporary urbanism course teaches the need to recognise and build upon the ‘cultural diversity’ of cities and requires students to be ‘sensitive to social and cultural difference’. That sounds like it'll be useful then!

Good find. He's obviously on the wrong course. Perhaps they should lock him up in a cell with the idiot in cardiff who racially abused the footballer who had the heart

the other week.

While I do love American football of the college variety I didn't mean any disrespect for the sport of rowing or sculling or whatever it's called. I'm sure it requires intense training just as any other sport does and to have such an important event trashed by an idiot is enough to make you want to do violence to him. I just didn't understand his protest - other than just being a mean spirited jerk.