Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unusual Picture

RedVMember

Hi all,

My name is Scott and am new to this forum, I have a picture my wife has taken and I'm after a little help to understand what it is or how it could have come about.

First of all it was taken with a new Nikon Coolpix L120 digital camera, she was trying to take a picture of the full moon here in Adelaide South Australia at approximately 9:30pm.

Now, there was no wind at the time and it was a clear night, there was no one smoking at all, her hair was up and no one or nothing in front of her, naturally trying to get a picture of the moon she had the camera pointing up.

The picture prior to and preceding this picture were all clear, just showing a full moon and nothing else.

This image has not been edited except to compress it to upload, other than that it is directly off the camera as it was taken.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated

post-127952-0-70717800-1333958249_thumb.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RedVMember

• coldethyl

• orangepeaceful79

• Elrico

It's hard to tell because the image isn't very large, but does it seem like a natural image? I'm just curious because the picture seems like it could have become corrupt if you, say, dropped your camera. Are you 100% sure it's the same picture? because having a picture turn into another is unheard of. I can't think of any other rassional solutions at the moment and the only time i've ever heard of images changing afterwards are of ghosts appearing in seemingly normal pictures.

It's hard to tell because the image isn't very large, but does it seem like a natural image? I'm just curious because the picture seems like it could have become corrupt if you, say, dropped your camera. Are you 100% sure it's the same picture? because having a picture turn into another is unheard of. I can't think of any other rassional solutions at the moment and the only time i've ever heard of images changing afterwards are of ghosts appearing in seemingly normal pictures.

Hi Elrico,

The image itself didnt change, she took the 1st picture which came out normal then the second picture (the attached one) and then the 3rd image was normal, it was like something flew in front of the camera at the time the picture was taken but nothing was there. This is the only time anything has happened like this using this camera I will include the first picture she took so you can see it was clear

post-127952-0-16383100-1333966808_thumb.

Yeah, misinterpreted that one, hmm... sorry, I'm stumped. Hopefully someone else with more experience with photography will come around. Well good luck figuring that out anyway, Scott.

Hi all,

My name is Scott and am new to this forum, I have a picture my wife has taken and I'm after a little help to understand what it is or how it could have come about.

First of all it was taken with a new Nikon Coolpix L120 digital camera, she was trying to take a picture of the full moon here in Adelaide South Australia at approximately 9:30pm.

Now, there was no wind at the time and it was a clear night, there was no one smoking at all, her hair was up and no one or nothing in front of her, naturally trying to get a picture of the moon she had the camera pointing up.

The picture prior to and preceding this picture were all clear, just showing a full moon and nothing else.

This image has not been edited except to compress it to upload, other than that it is directly off the camera as it was taken.

I used to have an older Kodak D3700 that occasionally would give a misty, strange photo mixed in among the regular ones or sometimes would spit out an image that had other color or clarity anomolies.

I would say that the most likely explanation is that you have a software glitch in your camera that threw this image off. It is a strange looking photo, but it is not outside the realm of possibility to have a camera that is having issues like this.

I used to have an older Kodak D3700 that occasionally would give a misty, strange photo mixed in among the regular ones or sometimes would spit out an image that had other color or clarity anomolies.

I would say that the most likely explanation is that you have a software glitch in your camera that threw this image off. It is a strange looking photo, but it is not outside the realm of possibility to have a camera that is having issues like this.

Hi orangepeaceful79,

Thanks for that, When we seen the image I was surprised, I think it actually looks really cool what ever the cause, one reason I started to hunt around for a possible explanation for it was my 3 year old daughter has recently started to say Grandpa has been teaching her to dance and twirl like a princess, and Grandma has a dog like the one we currently have. My father passed away 5 years ago and mother 20, and we used to have a Rottweiler as we do now which she never seen also.

My wife has never met her father and her mother is still alive but have very little to do with and she doesn't have a dog.

Would be nice to think we caught a picture of them visiting

Scott

Hya Scott,

First off, welcome to UM :)

It does look a bit wierd.

Could something possibly have flown past, like some insect or anything which could have been really close to the lens??

Thats my guess on it anyway and i do mean guess :)

Anyway, there are lots of people on here who are really clued up on photography etc, so im sure the reason for the odd photo shall be revealed ;)

Hi all,

Can you post the original image which was 4,320 × 3,240 pixels?

I think maybe the exposure time of 0.5 seconds may have contributed to the weirdness. Why such a slow exposure time?

Can you post the original image which was 4,320 × 3,240 pixels?

I think maybe the exposure time of 0.5 seconds may have contributed to the weirdness. Why such a slow exposure time?

I'm guessing it was a slow exposure because originally they were outside at night photographing the moon. Either auto settings on the camera or a manual setting.

My money is still on software aberration. These things happen.

I'm not much of a photo master, but I would probably have to agree with the others above me with saying that its just some glitch. You can still see the dark background in the bottom of the photo but with the part that's obscured it seems to have that classic 'mist' going by. The part that I believe makes it just a glitch is the patch of color in the middle. Like I said before though, I'm not a photo master and it's just a guess. The original photo would be easier to deliberate with though. :)

I'm not much of a photo master, but I would probably have to agree with the others above me with saying that its just some glitch. You can still see the dark background in the bottom of the photo but with the part that's obscured it seems to have that classic 'mist' going by. The part that I believe makes it just a glitch is the patch of color in the middle. Like I said before though, I'm not a photo master and it's just a guess. The original photo would be easier to deliberate with though. :)

Hi all, thank you so much for your input, I'm not sure why such a long exposure time, as its been suggested it seems to have been a camera glitch. I have tried to included the larger image for you to look over however in doing so has reduced the quality of it considerably still hope its clear enough

post-127952-0-05199700-1334111968_thumb.

Was it on a tripod?

I took pictures of the full moon when it was closest to the Earth not so long ago and I had a hard time keeping steady.

I think the same as those above and I wouldn't worry too much about your daughter talking about grand parents. She has probably heard other kids (tv or real life) talk about grand parents and now has created some of her own. Doesn't have to mean ghosties. :tu:

IMG_0526smcrop.jpg

Yeah, I know great pic, right?

edited to gloat about pic.

Edited by coldethyl

edited to gloat about pic.

You should gloat, that's a brilliant pic!

You should gloat, that's a brilliant pic!

Why thank you very much!

I used my Canon with just a 10x digital zoom. I used my mailbox of all things to steady my hand as I do not have a tripod! LOL

Worked well tho. Took a few attempts but I think for just a fairly priced camera it came out great.

I usually like Fuji cameras but I got a pretty decent deal on that on at Best Buy as a divorce present to myself back in 08. :tu:

its the wilder beasts, and the fact that it happened in Australia means they are definitely not hibernating no's more!