Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meat eaters selectively deny mental abilities

Still Waters

On the savanna a lioness will fell and shred her prey without empathy. Yet for we humans who can imagine that a cow might feel pain, pleasure and fear, enjoying animal flesh may have moral overtones.New research indicates that we have developed a mental tool to help us cope with the realities of our carnivorous nature: denial.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jack_of_Blades

• Still Waters

• Conrad Clough

• Damn

It's definitely an interesting thought. However I think the denial (in this

study's case) has more to do with how separated we are from the actual

butchering of what we eat now-a-days.

It's definitely an interesting thought. However I think the denial (in this

study's case) has more to do with how separated we are from the actual

butchering of what we eat now-a-days.

I agree. I don't think it's denial so much as ignorance due to how distanced we are from the slaughtering.

Hell, it might simply be lack of compassion to animals that aren't fluffly little fuzzballs.

Whether they suffer or not, and as long as that remains disputable (people will claim it is), it's better to assume that they do suffer, in case they do.

Personally I think we can go a long way by eating ecological animal-products.

I grew up on a farm, and I know that cows are dumb (very dumb) but that doesn't mean that they can't feel pain and suffer (of course knowledge of the fact that a cow can indeed feel pain and suffer is not going to stop me from eating beef).

I never really think about it. I don't like to kill even large insects, but if a cow's meat is in front of me and I need the nutrition, I'll eat it. Whether cows are intelligent or not makes no difference.

cows aren't dumb. They're just submissive from the the way the farmers treat them. I pent all of my childhood in the contry surrouned by cows and went to an agriculterul college so I saw the crulty first hand

I grew up on a farm, and I know that cows are dumb (very dumb) but that doesn't mean that they can't feel pain and suffer (of course knowledge of the fact that a cow can indeed feel pain and suffer is not going to stop me from eating beef).

So does this go for every "dumb" animal? Because that is, you know, horrifying.

I'm sorry, but I am a meat eater. I grew up in the country & our neighbors would often "trade" beef with another neighbor so their children would not feel bad for eating their calf which had been raised for the steaks & hamburger they put on their table.

The Bible tells us what we can eat & I realize there are some changes between the old & new testament.

While googling, I found a site that said many of the items on the seafood menu (especially in Louisiana) would be considered taboo, but I love it just the same.

There is a verse in the Bible that says "do not eat the fat", lol.

Anyway, here is one link referring to meat...

http://www.changinglivesonline.org/questions-and-answers/item/878-does-the-bible-say-we-can-eat-meat?.html

I consider pigs to be very intelligent animals. On a par with horses and not far below humans and dogs.

Unfortunately they also taste good. It's a moral dilema ..... but my carnivore instincts win.

However I do not wish any animal to suffer or be maltreated. In an ideal world I'd eat a lot more lamb and venison (which are raised generally in more natural environments). But I do so like pork ...... !

btw if a hungry tiger thinks humans are intelligent, does that mean it wouldn't eat one, given the chance? ;)