Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

On the trail with Bigfoot-hunters

Still Waters

Not since footage emerged of a giant, ape-like figure in the California woods in the late 1960s has there been so much interest in proving the existence of Bigfoot. So how do you go about finding a creature most people believe to be a myth?

It could be a human footprint. Let's not rule that out.

Kentucky Bigfoot investigators pride themselves on their scientific rigour.

They compile detailed reports, take copious notes, and rely on high-tech recording equipment to set their traps and document their work.

Every twisted branch or broken twig is carefully examined for clues.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Q-C

• keninsc

• Sakari

• S2F

Top Posters In This Topic

*from the link

Someone had pointed it out as a potential footprint. It was certainly big enough. Maybe even too big.

But as Charlie, our team leader, got to work with a tape measure, I assured myself that it was probably human.

And that's when I knew they had got me. Probably is not a word I would have used a few hours ago, when we set out.

Back then I would have said it was definitely human. But back then my scepticism was impregnable. Now it was starting to fray at the edges.

Maybe this is how it starts.

I liked this bit from the article, it shows how infectious the Bigfoot myth can be. I enjoy the Bigfoot myth however I believe it to be very unlikely from top to bottom. I think the Bigfoot stories and sightings have more to do with human psychology than any large primate.

From OP article:

"It seems like every Sasquatch-spotter, from Canada to the Florida Keys, is in talks with a production company or has already been featured in a reality show of his own."

Yeah! More bigfoot TV! Bring it on! :clap:

Gawd, my life is sad.

Maybe I should just pitch my own show. I wouldn’t mind spending hours running around the woods for a paycheck. I think I’d do it "Survivorman" style. No crew, no team, just me, alone for a month. I may even fire up the ol' gray matter and take it with me, for a bit of a twist, an edge on the competition.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Personally, I think it would be cool to discover a species like this that had evaded documentation for all the time.

I've seen enough to make me think, "maybe", but it's a far cry from total belief. If I wasn't encumbered by things like making a living I'd love to devote time to the search. Even if you never spot or find anything, being in the woods, communing with nature and all that wouldn't be wasted time really since I love being out in the woods anyway.

Personally, I think it would be cool to discover a species like this that had evaded documentation for all the time.

I've seen enough to make me think, "maybe", but it's a far cry from total belief. If I wasn't encumbered by things like making a living I'd love to devote time to the search. Even if you never spot or find anything, being in the woods, communing with nature and all that wouldn't be wasted time really since I love being out in the woods anyway.

I think I'm a bit more skeptical than but :tu:

I'd even like to go out with footers if I had the opportunity. I've been debating about joining up and going. You can pretty much find a group anywhere it seems.

I'm tempted as well, but I have a feeling that unless you're a card carrying believer they might tie you to a tree and use you as bait or something. Believers really have no sense of humor or sense at all where Bigfoots are concerned.

I'm tempted as well, but I have a feeling that unless you're a card carrying believer they might tie you to a tree and use you as bait or something. Believers really have no sense of humor or sense at all where Bigfoots are concerned.

Yes, I'd have to keep my big mouth shut. Despite my sarcasm and skepticism I'd still be interested in the what and why that fuels their belief. What they are saying and thinking out there while doing their research. I could bite my tongue for a few hours. :)

Maybe debate a bit if I thought they were open to it.

I think I'm a bit more skeptical than but :tu:

I'd even like to go out with footers if I had the opportunity. I've been debating about joining up and going. You can pretty much find a group anywhere it seems.

I tried, with the " bigger " groups......Sent emails, filled out applications, even told about mys sisters " account " at Oregon Caves...( Big Tree trail )

Maybe I should have shared I won a Bigfoot costume......

Most charge to go out with them.....Imagine that........:blush:

I would like to see one of these comedy shows go out with some Fish and Game Wardens from the areas.And not actors, real, bonified, experienced wardens......But again, that would just make sense, and ruin all of the fun.

If people would study what is really out in these areas, Nature, animals sounds, habits, feeding, mating rituals, etc....Instead of studying a fantasy, they may actually know what these " sounds " they hear really are, and the bent trees, prints, etc...........Oh, that would be a biologist.....Serious though, I wish more people would do this.It is amazing how many times on different sites, and in person, I have shown people the many sounds a fox makes, and they are amazed......I live on the edge of forest, Pacific Northwest, no neighbors.....Lot's of awesome sounds out there, especially at night....If I recorded them, I guarantee I could pass many off as " howls ", and " whistles ".......

I have also stated many times on here, I want my own show on TV......Bigfoot first......................... a Biologist, a hunter ( I bow hunted for over 20 years, would prefer Ted Nugent ), a survivalist, a Warden, and a local Park Ranger to the area.......And one Token Believer.

I tried, with the " bigger " groups......Sent emails, filled out applications, even told about mys sisters " account " at Oregon Caves...( Big Tree trail )

Maybe I should have shared I won a Bigfoot costume......

Most charge to go out with them.....Imagine that........:blush:

I would like to see one of these comedy shows go out with some Fish and Game Wardens from the areas.And not actors, real, bonified, experienced wardens......But again, that would just make sense, and ruin all of the fun.

If people would study what is really out in these areas, Nature, animals sounds, habits, feeding, mating rituals, etc....Instead of studying a fantasy, they may actually know what these " sounds " they hear really are, and the bent trees, prints, etc...........Oh, that would be a biologist.....Serious though, I wish more people would do this.It is amazing how many times on different sites, and in person, I have shown people the many sounds a fox makes, and they are amazed......I live on the edge of forest, Pacific Northwest, no neighbors.....Lot's of awesome sounds out there, especially at night....If I recorded them, I guarantee I could pass many off as " howls ", and " whistles ".......

I have also stated many times on here, I want my own show on TV......Bigfoot first......................... a Biologist, a hunter ( I bow hunted for over 20 years, would prefer Ted Nugent ), a survivalist, a Warden, and a local Park Ranger to the area.......And one Token Believer.

I completely agree, I love the outdoors and wildlife. I'd live isolated in a cabin somewhere or underwater (if it was possible).

But I'm interested in what these believers are thinking. How they arrive at their conclusions. Their ignorance seems so beyond comprehension sometimes. I just want to personally get to know who these footers are. And I don't use the term "ignorance" as a put down, just simply a lack of knowledge or some kind of indescribable denial.

Avoiding the big dawgs, what is the smaller group of researchers doing and concluding?

I'd never pay for a $500 weekend experience. I saw that every Sunday night on Finding Bigfoot.

Besides, I would neak up on the FLIR blob and hog tie the guy it, and get in trouble.

Sakari, you know they all claim to be expert outdoorspeople with overflowing wildlife and bush knowlege. :P:lol:

So, what propels them into the stratosphere? And keeps them there?

Edited by QuiteContrary

I've noticed that once a believer suddenly takes the plunge and embraces the belief logic, reason and the skeptical eye tends to go out of them.

Personally, I'm open to the idea, but that due to the encounters of two guys that I deeply respected. In this case I knew these guys well and personally. While I've never seen one, I might have smelled one once.......and that's a "might", not positively. I sort of like to verify that they are real or not just to validate my one friend's encounter. I'll probably never really be a believer until I actually lay eyes on one and I can be positive it wasn't some guy in a suit or costume.

So basically the polar opposite of Finding Bigfoot? :lol:

I would watch it religiously but you can only get so much ratings with Possum, Raccoon, Bear, Fox, Deer (etc etc) signs/sightings. :P

Edited by Slave2Fate

I've noticed that once a believer suddenly takes the plunge and embraces the belief logic, reason and the skeptical eye tends to go out of them.

Personally, I'm open to the idea, but that due to the encounters of two guys that I deeply respected. In this case I knew these guys well and personally. While I've never seen one, I might have smelled one once.......and that's a "might", not positively. I sort of like to verify that they are real or not just to validate my one friend's encounter. I'll probably never really be a believer until I actually lay eyes on one and I can be positive it wasn't some guy in a suit or costume.

Yeah, you've probably summed up quite simply, something that seemed to me more complex.

They are just blinded by their belief. Like any believer. Like how an educated scientist can also be a creationist.

You're right.

But I'd still like to tag along sometime. ;)

So basically the polar opposite of Finding Bigfoot? :lol:

I would watch it religiously but you can only get so much ratings with Possum, Raccoon, Bear, Fox, Deer (etc etc) signs/sightings. :P

But if he does some episodes at night, listening to those "bigfoot" sounds. It could be a good bit creepy, even with real world explanations.

You know what I wouldn't mind doing sometime is going on one of those paid "training" things that the BFRO is always referring to their "experts" as having attended. Oh, if you go over and post a dissenting opinion to one of them they will draw it out like a knife to get you to shut up and bow to their "higher knowledge". If that doesn't work then you get a nasty email telling you to knock it off, that guy is a real "expert".

Anyway, what I'd like most is to report what they teach. If you're going to kick out $500 for a weekend in the woods with some guys to teach you something then it would be nice to have an unbiased third party comment for reference. Of course most, who go to them I dare say are most likely to be in the total believer group. But still.

Having thought about it a bit more, that might be a way to get sued, if you told people the truth of what you saw and experienced there.

Edited by keninsc

You know what I wouldn't mind doing sometime is going on one of those paid "training" things that the BFRO is always referring to their "experts" as having attended. Oh, if you go over and post a dissenting opinion to one of them they will draw it out like a knife to get you to shut up and bow to their "higher knowledge". If that doesn't work then you get a nasty email telling you to knock it off, that guy is a real "expert".

Anyway, what I'd like most is to report what they teach. If you're going to kick out $500 for a weekend in the woods with some guys to teach you something then it would be nice to have an unbiased third party comment for reference. Of course most, who go to them I dare say are most likely to be in the total believer group. But still.

Having thought about it a bit more, that might be a way to get sued, if you told people the truth of what you saw and experienced there.

For the $500 weekend, I wonder if participants sign an NDA of some sort? And if you need to be sponsored by someone who verifies you aren't some troublesome skeptic?

Even though open to the public, I wonder if you have to be invited because Sakari pointed out how he tried. If so, all that secrecy and selectivity just makes what they do all that more untrustworthy.

There is always The Annual BF Conference at Salt Lake State Park if you live near southeast Ohio. I don't believe it is as clandestine.:ph34r:

For the $500 weekend, I wonder if participants sign an NDA of some sort? And if you need to be sponsored by someone who verifies you aren't some troublesome skeptic?

Even though open to the public, I wonder if you have to be invited because Sakari pointed out how he tried. If so, all that secrecy and selectivity just makes what they do all that more untrustworthy.

There is always The Annual BF Conference at Salt Lake State Park if you live near southeast Ohio. I don't believe it is as clandestine.:ph34r:

I don't know what the criteria is for being able to attend one of their "seminars". I'd be leery of any such thing that required a NDA, however I do understand they have multiple levels of these things and in order to be one of their "Field investigators" you have to complete two or three. Talk about undercover work?

I recall reading about a rift within the whole Bigfoot community back in the late seventies and early eighties that seemed to pit one group against the other to the point that they were all sort of bad mouthing each other at every opportunity. This went on for some ten years or so. The BFRO started up in the mid-nineties I suppose to fill the void left in the wake of all that. I can tell you that my experience on their forum page was.......shall we say....."less than ideal"? I got into a disagreement with a fellow who was one of their "super-duper" field investigators who was claiming a set of tracks in the snow was the real deal and I could clearly see from the photos......the ones he took and posted that they were a set of double prints of what appeared to be a bear. Complete with claw impressions. I was told I was a "newbie"......didn't have any knowledge of the area........didn't have any knowledge of the wildlife in that area....etc. As it happened, I have hiked in that very area, did have knowledge of the area and the wildlife. Got a nasty email from one of the admins telling me not to disagree with the FI because he'd been to four or five of their training thingies and I would be kept an eye on in future. Well, just pardon me all the hell and back. Know what I mean?

Sorry to take off on a tangent here but when a group starts accepting stuff that doesn't measure up and then making veiled threats, it's time for someone to take a good hard look at what they're selling. Being the evil skeptic that I am. :devil:

I don't know what the criteria is for being able to attend one of their "seminars". I'd be leery of any such thing that required a NDA, however I do understand they have multiple levels of these things and in order to be one of their "Field investigators" you have to complete two or three. Talk about undercover work?

I recall reading about a rift within the whole Bigfoot community back in the late seventies and early eighties that seemed to pit one group against the other to the point that they were all sort of bad mouthing each other at every opportunity. This went on for some ten years or so. The BFRO started up in the mid-nineties I suppose to fill the void left in the wake of all that. I can tell you that my experience on their forum page was.......shall we say....."less than ideal"? I got into a disagreement with a fellow who was one of their "super-duper" field investigators who was claiming a set of tracks in the snow was the real deal and I could clearly see from the photos......the ones he took and posted that they were a set of double prints of what appeared to be a bear. Complete with claw impressions. I was told I was a "newbie"......didn't have any knowledge of the area........didn't have any knowledge of the wildlife in that area....etc. As it happened, I have hiked in that very area, did have knowledge of the area and the wildlife. Got a nasty email from one of the admins telling me not to disagree with the FI because he'd been to four or five of their training thingies and I would be kept an eye on in future. Well, just pardon me all the hell and back. Know what I mean?

Sorry to take off on a tangent here but when a group starts accepting stuff that doesn't measure up and then making veiled threats, it's time for someone to take a good hard look at what they're selling. Being the evil skeptic that I am. :devil:

Interesting....Good post.

Interesting....Good post.

You know, I've seen news people go under cover so to speak to get the goods on various groups. Now please understand that I have no idea if these things are a scam or some sort of training to get the right mindset going. I can tell you that after my experience at the BFRO forums it's nice to see some people who have a skeptical eye.....everything isn't a "squatch".

I've never seen myself in such a roll before but would be willing to give it a shot if I could.......however I'm encumbered by the whole making a living thing, but who knows? I might win a lottery or have some long lost relative leave me a mint and I'd be able to take a good hard look at the internal workings of "the group". Although, I'd have to be careful to be fair about it, if they are just training on evidence gathering techniques, what equipment is best, basics of tracking, etc, then they might be legit and if that's what I was to find then I'd feel compelled to say so. I think one must be fair and it's not right to judge a group by one bad experience, know what I mean?

You know, I've seen news people go under cover so to speak to get the goods on various groups. Now please understand that I have no idea if these things are a scam or some sort of training to get the right mindset going. I can tell you that after my experience at the BFRO forums it's nice to see some people who have a skeptical eye.....everything isn't a "squatch".

I've never seen myself in such a roll before but would be willing to give it a shot if I could.......however I'm encumbered by the whole making a living thing, but who knows? I might win a lottery or have some long lost relative leave me a mint and I'd be able to take a good hard look at the internal workings of "the group". Although, I'd have to be careful to be fair about it, if they are just training on evidence gathering techniques, what equipment is best, basics of tracking, etc, then they might be legit and if that's what I was to find then I'd feel compelled to say so. I think one must be fair and it's not right to judge a group by one bad experience, know what I mean?

If they were legit in looking, that should be acknowledged.....I just find that as a oxymoron when it comes to Bigfoot research though.

I think you agree, there is not one group out there without claims of audio, visual, and DNA samples.......

We know how " legit " that is......

If they were legit in looking, that should be acknowledged.....I just find that as a oxymoron when it comes to Bigfoot research though.

I think you agree, there is not one group out there without claims of audio, visual, and DNA samples.......

We know how " legit " that is......

Oh I completely agree. It does have that oxymoronic quality to it, but then people go to all sorts of seminars to try and learn everything from how to relieve their stress to how to tap into their psychic abilities or measure someone's Chara. Even if it's in the realm of the paranormal or the way out in left field, there's most likely a seminar for it or to teach you how to improve it.

Which is why I stop short of calling them flim-flam-ers. However, people who are trapped in the "believer" mindset can be duped out of their money thinking this really does qualify them as some sort of expert.

Edited by keninsc