Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

" Tree Knocking " For Bigfoot

Sakari

Learn something new every day :)

Edited by Sakari

As a birder in general and a woodpecker enthusiast, I've always held the belief that "tree knocking" was simply woodpeckers doing what they do best.

I think tree knocking is ridiculous. Even if bigfoot is real, this is more likely a aggressive, challange action, like a gorilla beating on itself, or whacking a branch about. I very much doubt that a bigfoot would hear tree knocking and come walking out of the woods naively thinking that another BF is calling him over. Even if it was communication, we would have no idea what we are saying.

http://www.thomsquatch.com/2011/02/tree-knocking-101.html

It was a clear cold night and I was bundled up to ward off the chill. I had a knit hat on my head underneath my hood, and ski gloves on my hands. I was thinking about other ways of making a loud noise that would sound like a tree being whacked, and the answer just came to me in the form of a command:

"Cup both hands hands, and clap them together hard, right in front of your open mouth." I don't know what made me think of this, but I clapped my cupped hands together right in front of my open mouth, and to my amazement, the sound I made was a dead ringer for a stick hitting a hollow log. A perfect "tree knock!"

I've always assumed that the Tree Knocking was dead wood falling to the ground. Or the crack/groan of a tree in the wind.

Edited by DieChecker

I think tree knocking is ridiculous. Even if bigfoot is real, this is more likely a aggressive, challange action, like a gorilla beating on itself, or whacking a branch about. I very much doubt that a bigfoot would hear tree knocking and come walking out of the woods naively thinking that another BF is calling him over. Even if it was communication, we would have no idea what we are saying.

http://www.thomsquat...ocking-101.html

I've always assumed that the Tree Knocking was dead wood falling to the ground. Or the crack/groan of a tree in the wind.

Diechecker, did you watch the video I posted?

That was the topic :)

Woodpeckers ( and other birds ) my friend, cool video, you should watch :)

Edited by Sakari

I used to live right under a bunch of acorn woodpeckers. A whole extended family of like 20.

059_acorn_woodpecker_tree_budeau.jpg

I don't remember them pecking about much after dark, but most bigfoot tree knocks are after dark and are mostly reported as being one, two or three knocks, not a long string of knocks like a woodpecker makes.

I used to live right under a bunch of acorn woodpeckers. A whole extended family of like 20.

I don't remember them pecking about much after dark, but most bigfoot tree knocks are after dark and are mostly reported as being one, two or three knocks, not a long string of knocks like a woodpecker makes.

In the video it is two knocks, and another type of bird using a stick instead of it's beak....Just a cool video I found, that shows there are real things out there that can do this.....Answered things..

It was the first I heard of it.....Thought I would share.

To me this is hilarious,you can make all kinds of sounds with your hands,even sound like an Owl, I've even had Owls answering back, I wouldnt be around in the woods after dark if I thought Bigfoot and his mates were on the prowl,and Brown Bears climb trees,Grizzlies shake you out,knock on wood mate,its lucky,

To me this is hilarious,you can make all kinds of sounds with your hands,even sound like an Owl, I've even had Owls answering back, I wouldnt be around in the woods after dark if I thought Bigfoot and his mates were on the prowl,and Brown Bears climb trees,Grizzlies shake you out,knock on wood mate,its lucky,

Maybe I am reading wrong today.....I don't think you got why I made this topic either....Did you watch the video?

I am not claiming Bigfoot tree knocks, nor do I even think he remotley has a chance of being real......:blush:

I posted a interesting video showing birds tree knocking, some with their beaks, another with a stick.....Nothing more, nothing less.......

"most bigfoot tree knocks are after dark" Hmmm? That's not correct.

Bf shows are after dark.

And who knows where they get their after dark "knocks" from. I picture the team three stooges knocking their empty heads together.

Excellent info, Sakari.

And for me, I do extend it to a plausible explanation for bigfoot behavior claims.

Edited by QuiteContrary

We once had a woodpecker that used to peck on our metal mailbox across the street. At first I thought it was odd behavior but I noticed that there were bugs living in/around the metal part of the mailbox. It would come back the same time every year for maybe five years then it stopped (maybe a cat caught it). It was just a bird with a little ingenuity. ^_^

Edited by Slave2Fate

Maybe I am reading wrong today.....I don't think you got why I made this topic either....Did you watch the video?

I am not claiming Bigfoot tree knocks, nor do I even think he remotley has a chance of being real......:blush:

I posted a interesting video showing birds tree knocking, some with their beaks, another with a stick.....Nothing more, nothing less.......

Sorry I didnt mean to offend you,I will watch Vid,I have a wild Blackbird who comes and knocks on my window when he fancies some raisins for his dinner...Birds are intelligent,thats why they have survived predators for millenia,except pheasants which have a bad habit of running out in front of cars..

To me this is hilarious,you can make all kinds of sounds with your hands,even sound like an Owl, I've even had Owls answering back,

That was the point of the video. David Attenborough knocks on wood twice quickly which is a well understood message to a particular type of woodpecker and he successfully lures a pair to respond to him and lures them over to him by making the knocking pattern of a rival woodpecker. Edited by Archimedes

Wouldn't this be better suited to the Natural World section ?

Wood knocking is something that happens with a lot of species, so if Bigfoots do exist, then I think it would be a reasonable thing for them to do.

Howls are something that most species do as a warning or to attract a mate more than anything else, not all mind you but most.

Wouldn't this be better suited to the Natural World section ?

Yes, it would be good there, although I wanted this to show that there are animals that do " tree knock " and could be mistaken as " Bigfoot ".

Yes, it would be good there, although I wanted this to show that there are animals that do " tree knock " and could be mistaken as " Bigfoot ".

I don't think a woodpecker is going to be easily mistaken for a big, hairy, thingamajig with a big stick whomping on a tree stump. Personally, I don't want to see the woodpecker that sounds like that........just saying. That's one BFWP.

:w00t:

I don't think a woodpecker is going to be easily mistaken for a big, hairy, thingamajig with a big stick whomping on a tree stump. Personally, I don't want to see the woodpecker that sounds like that........just saying. That's one BFWP.

You'd be surprised at how little creatures can make big sounds.

And keep in mind, each species of woodpecker has a different knock - some rapid and some slow and methodical. Other species of bird do this as well.

You know....

I watched not Finding Bigfoot, and many other shows with that, and listened to " tree knocking " recordings.........Sounded just like the video I posted, just as loud, if not louder.( louder as in woodpecker was louder than the " Bigfoot " tree knocks )....Sound carries, and is amplified in forest environments.

Kind of the point I was making by posting the video in this topic...........

So, whether you " think " so or not, the video ( audio ) shows that yes, the sound could very easily be mistaken with a fictional made up big hairy thingamajig with a big stick....

Edited by Sakari

If we can train a woodpecker to give out a whoop whoop between pecks we'd have this thing sewed up...

No problem then, it's ok where it is as long as there's a connection to a cryptozoology related topic.

If we can train a woodpecker to give out a whoop whoop between pecks we'd have this thing sewed up...

Not necessary. There are plenty of other animals that make whooping sounds.

You'd be surprised at how little creatures can make big sounds.

And keep in mind, each species of woodpecker has a different knock - some rapid and some slow and methodical. Other species of bird do this as well.

Dude, if you can't tell the difference from a woodpecker knock and a primate knock then you probably shouldn't be in the woods alone. Just saying, I've never heard any species of woodpecker make a knock like that.......granted, I haven't heard them all and there could be some mutant strain of woodpecker that's louder than others, but still.

Excellent Subject (as always) Sakari, :tu:

I usually make it a point to investigate any wood knocking sounds I hear on my hikes, 90% of the time it's woodpeckers (and I have the photos to prove it), 10% of the time it's ravens.

Crows and ravens have vocalizations that imitate wood knocking perfectly (usually a rapid series of 4, or 5 knocks).

sorry i havent been online in a while.. really enjoyed the video :tu: