Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

" Tree Knocking " For Bigfoot

Sakari

The bottom line is that woodpeckers are just one of many alternatives to a huge undiscovered ape. Many animals make knocking sounds in one way form or fasion as well as some other explanations that are not related to animals at all. Underground pipe lines for example make a thumping or knocking sound that can sometimes be heard for quite some distance. Beavers, as was eluded to in another thread, not only smack their tails in the water, but use their tails out of the water when building their damns. They beat the mud and sticks down and can make a lot of noise. Hell, a tree swaying in the wind can make a knocking sound for that matter.

Are these the only examples of explanations other than a huge ape? No they aren't. They are just some instances in which a sound that some call tree knocking can be made by other things.

Mike

I have been trying to find a decent "Bigfoot Tree Knocking " sound clip or even video so I can compare it to some of the sounds of Woodpeckers etc.

So far I haven't found one that doesn't have some idiot talking all the way though, while occasionally saying "Do you hear that?" so you can't properly hear what it is they are referring too· They clearly no nothing about trying to find any form of animal as they make so much darn noise.

Rant over. :P

As to tree knocking in general it is most likely just natural sounds you hear in a forest such as known animals, falling dead wood etc.

I also did a search for primate tree knocking and came up empty handed like everyone else who searched.

That is fine.....( edited to add bottom information, it is not fine )

The entire reason I posted this topic was to show that IF someone REALLY heard a sound like tree knocking, there are answers for it......And they are not a Bigfoot.

So, we now know about other animals that do it, and we also know what animals do not.

Who knows, maybe a Woodpecker being disturbed at night while roosting does knock.Just because they are not active at night does not mean they would not still warn others they live there.

Still fine. My point was that your point is good for daytime knocking only. Most of the wood knocking sound files I found that are attributed to bigfeet are at night. Which would in turn negates the possibility of a woodpecker, or at the least minimize it's likelihood being that it was documented at night. The reason wood knocks are attributed to bigfoot in the first place is because whoops interspersed with wood knocks have been reported and recorded. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for that as well. Like 2 different audio events happening at the same time in close proximity to give it the impression of it coming from a single source. And no, we don't know for a fact that bigfeet whoop or wood knock nor do we have any concrete proof of mr. hairy.

In the end though, there are plenty of other possible sources of knocking sounds in the forest even at night. Yeah, even a woodpecker with the midnight munchies, but that's not very likely due to the fact they are not nocturnal.

You are correct.

But if you read through this thread, it's not about woodpeckers. Simply put, woodpeckers were offered as one explanation among many as to why bangs and knocks in the forest don't have to be explained as bigfoot related.

Oh I understand more than you think. Yes I read the thread. Thanks just the same.

Still fine. My point was that your point is good for daytime knocking only. Most of the wood knocking sound files I found that are attributed to bigfeet are at night. Which would in turn negates the possibility of a woodpecker, or at the least minimize it's likelihood being that it was documented at night. The reason wood knocks are attributed to bigfoot in the first place is because whoops interspersed with wood knocks have been reported and recorded. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for that as well. Like 2 different audio events happening at the same time in close proximity to give it the impression of it coming from a single source. And no, we don't know for a fact that bigfeet whoop or wood knock nor do we have any concrete proof of mr. hairy.

In the end though, there are plenty of other possible sources of knocking sounds in the forest even at night. Yeah, even a woodpecker with the midnight munchies, but that's not very likely due to the fact they are not nocturnal.

Can you share some of these sound files you found?

And, do we know they were taken at night, or even outside for that matter?

And your last sentence pretty much is what I have been saying......I just posted the woodpeckers and the bird with the stick, because that was the first I had heard of that before.....Kind of a " add this to your things that do go bump in the woods " list......

On second thought, forget the sound files, enough of those spread about on this forum.( I think ), and this is really not about that anyway.

On second thought, forget the sound files, enough of those spread about on this forum.( I think ), and this is really not about that anyway.

Boy, you can say that again! :lol:

If you want a clear knock: BFRO "1974 whoops and knocks from CA". Now, who knocked and who whooped on the recording, Tom, Dick, or Harry? is up for debate. But my guess is one of them.

My sincere thought on the identity of the nighttime wood knocking and whooping culprit? Hu man- more often than not.

Darkness hides a load of crap. :P

Here's a wikianswer to Do woodpeckers come out at night? Though not proof of anything of itself, I know

Yes! The reason I know this is, I have a woodpecker in my yard,who I hear very frequently just pecking away like theres no tomorrow! I have even seen this little cutie! He live in a tree that is no more than half a foot away from my bathroom window. Sometimes I spy on him at night,sneaking very quietly to next to the window! He (or she) is very beautiful from what I can see of him!The bird in question usually comes out at anywhere between 8:30 and 10:00 P.M. He is out in the day too,but maybe he has trouble sleeping,or wants a midnight snack once in a while! (LOL!)

Edited by QuiteContrary

There is a "distinct" difference between the knocking sounds referred to as made by bigfoot and a woodpecker !!

But, is there a " distinct " difference of those sounds if a woodpecker was knocking in the area referred ?

Do we have that for comparison?

2 separate sources of a knock, recorded in the same place, same time, same wind direction, same temp, etc, etc......

Edited by Sakari

But if you read through this thread, it's not about woodpeckers. Simply put, woodpeckers were offered as one explanation among many as to why bangs and knocks in the forest don't have to be explained as bigfoot related.

Diechecker, did you watch the video I posted?

That was the topic :)

Woodpeckers ( and other birds ) my friend, cool video, you should watch :)

So what's it gonna be? It seems we have a contradiction here.

Can you share some of these sound files you found?

There are pages of sound files if you search "wood knocking sound files".

And, do we know they were taken at night, or even outside for that matter?

Yes, audio can be manipulated and hoaxed like anything else.

And your last sentence pretty much is what I have been saying......I just posted the woodpeckers and the bird with the stick, because that was the first I had heard of that before.....Kind of a " add this to your things that do go bump in the woods " list......

I agree, very little (if anything at all) that goes bump in the night is a sakscratch.

Right. Because it's about: "Woodpeckers ( and other birds )"

Right. Because it's about: "Woodpeckers ( and other birds )"

No, because I did not think we needed to open another can of worms.......( comparing sounds to see if they sounded the same ), make another topic for that.

It is about other known animals that make the same / similar sounds.......

No, because I did not think we needed to open another can of worms.......( comparing sounds to see if they sounded the same ), make another topic for that.

That works for me.

It is about other known animals that make the same / similar sounds.......

Come on man, make up your mind.

Come on man, make up your mind.

Now you sound like my wife.......

I'll tell you the same thing I tell her.......

You can make of this whatever you want, and I will agree with you....It is whatever you say it is.... :yes:;)

Now you sound like my wife.......

HAHA! I can understand her frustration . A or B, stick with one. Practice it a few times and you should have it down pat.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell her.......

You can make of this whatever you want, and I will agree with you....It is whatever you say it is.... :yes:;)

Sakari, you can't have a decent debate, and thus learn anything from it, if you don't have opposing points of view. Very little of value is ever gleened from a circlejerk. If you start a thread it doesn't mean it's sacred ground and no one should disagree or point out any loopholes. And no, the "trolls motto" you have as your sig will not deter me from disagreeing, or pointing out loopholes, in a thread you started, or any statement you may make, that I disagree with.

HAHA! I can understand her frustration . A or B, stick with one. Practice it a few times and you should have it down pat.

Sakari, you can't have a decent debate, and thus learn anything from it, if you don't have opposing points of view. Very little of value is ever gleened from a circlejerk. If you start a thread it doesn't mean it's sacred ground and no one should disagree or point out any loopholes. And no, the "trolls motto" you have as your sig will not deter me from disagreeing, or pointing out loopholes, in a thread you started, or any statement you may make, that I disagree with.

Lighten up, it was called humor :)

If you must debate what the topic was intended to be, I shall share some earlier quotes from myself......

Yes, it would be good there, although I wanted this to show that there are animals that do " tree knock " and could be mistaken as " Bigfoot ".
.Just a cool video I found, that shows there are real things out there that can do this.
The entire reason I posted this topic was to show that IF someone REALLY heard a sound like tree knocking, there are answers for it......And they are not a Bigfoot.

I am not sure what you are trying to " debate ".....I think you have someone else's reply mixed in with mine......

I stand by what I said above..........And does it really matter?......It is a cool video, no?

The signature is regarding fools, not trolls......A motto I try to live by....

Edited by Sakari

Lighten up, it was called humor :)

Agreed. I'll take that advice.

It is a cool video, no?

YES!! I liked it alot. Thanks for sharing that.

The signature is regarding fools, not trolls......A motto I try to live by....

A motto that says 99% of us are fools and remaining 1% are in danger of becoming the same? Help me out here, because if I didn't know any better I'd say you're implying everyone is a fool (except yourself of course). Do you think everyone here is a fool? Is that what you really think of us?

A motto that says 99% of us are fools and remaining 1% are in danger of becoming the same? Help me out here, because if I didn't know any better I'd say you're implying everyone is a fool (except yourself of course). Do you think everyone here is a fool? Is that what you really think of us?

It's a figure of speech, not an actual calculation of the number of fools on this planet. It means that there are a lot of fools out there, try not to become one. Good advice for anyone.

Slave2Fate, thank you kind sir for pointing me in the right direction.

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion

~ Ancient Hebrew proverb

Agreed. I'll take that advice.

YES!! I liked it alot. Thanks for sharing that.

I would have to give my opinion on a person as I meet and discuss things with them......

Do I think 99% of people here are fools?....No

Do I think 99% of the World is, can not say, but there is a good chance......................Politicians, yes :)

Do I think you are a fool?....No

Above is partial humor :)

Below is exact..

It's a figure of speech, not an actual calculation of the number of fools on this planet. It means that there are a lot of fools out there, try not to become one. Good advice for anyone.
Edited by Sakari

Do I think 99% of the World is, can not say, but there is a good chance......................Politicians, yes :)

Sorry, but I got tickled with this one. If we looked at the world through the lens of politics then yeah we're all fools. :lol: I understand now, my fault entirely.

• 2 years later...

I am not sure what species but I have seen and heard woodpeckers make what would sound like bigfoot "wood knocks". I am not sure how active these woodpeckers are at night but unless using some sort of infrared technology or night vision I don't know how you would ever see a tiny woodpecker at night. They are hard to see during the day.

Related; My buddy and I used to go fishing on the Mississippi river near a historical site that has been reported to be haunted by the restless spirits of native Americans. Sort of a spooky place at night, deer and other known animals scurry through the woods usually sounding bigger than they really are. On several occasions near the same spot while fishing we heard what we thought were rocks being thrown in the water. This happened on several occasions so we were baffled "spooked" we would not go there alone. My friend claimed he thought he heard someone running away but could never find anything with our flashlights. We assumed therefore it must be the ghosts of natives throwing rocks at us. Not until during the day fishing one time watching a beaver swim by I spooked it. It dove down making a huge splash in the water soaking me. It sounded a lot like a rock/boulder being thrown in the water. I am also not sure how active beavers are on the Mississippi at night, but I think it is a much more logical explaination than it being ghosts throwing rocks at us. Although we never saw a beaver it was night and if it splashed it was likely diving under the surface making a spalsh.

I think at night even if of logical mind we find ways to explain what we can't explain, we even related that we thought we saw rocks whizzing by our heads. in actuality I don't remember seeing rocks all I remember is seeing a huge splash very near to where my buddy was walking near the shore of the river.

I should have clarified fish jump out of the water at night but the sounds were more like a large boulder hitting the water, although we have caught 40+ pound catfish fish make a different sounds when they jump.

I still have never told my buddy that all along it was just a beaver, but the truth makes fishing in the future far less exciting. I do not perpetuate hoaxes but I consider myself logical. Although I kind of wish we were being tormented by rock throwing ghosts I doubt we were.

• Like 1

I used to live right under a bunch of acorn woodpeckers. A whole extended family of like 20.

059_acorn_woodpecker_tree_budeau.jpg

I don't remember them pecking about much after dark, but most bigfoot tree knocks are after dark and are mostly reported as being one, two or three knocks, not a long string of knocks like a woodpecker makes.

I have watched woodpeckers they don't always need to do multiple knocks or strings of knocks, sometimes they get the bug on the first try, or only knock once as if testing to see if they have a good spot. Im sure if it is a harder wood they have to actually drill into the tree. Also there are more than one species of pecker and I would assume they don't all use the same pattern. I would also assume the string of rapid knocks would only be if they are trying to drill into hard living wood, not dead hollow pre-pecked dead soft wood. I have watched peckers eating stuff sometimes without making a knocking sound at all. They use their beaks like a pry-bar.

Edited by We1

Yes, beavers are active at night. And also true, they are not as exciting as a bigfoot throwing ten-ton boulders into the water or ghosts going swimming.

The reason I have posted is because on "finding bigfoot" they say as fact "nothing can make the sound like tree knocking response." Well that is obviously false. Maybe when they hear a tree knock next time or a response to a tree knock they shouldn't be looking for a 8 foot large hairy beast on the ground which they just cant seem to find, but instead they should be looking for a tiny little bird in the tree tops with their infrared. As far as I know, they still haven't found a woodpecker either. Plus even if one of them really did see a woodpecker on tv do you really think Bobo would be like "hey guys, Im sorry I just realized I wasted my entire life, it was just a woodpecker responding to us all along." That doesn't make for really good tv either. Besides it is far harder to prove Bigfoot does not exist despite the absence of proof. I am not saying bigfoot does not exist and you can believe in whatever you want to believe in. Bigfoot merchandise is available at the finding bigfoot store. Personally I wish the team would just get mauled by a mountain lion or bear, it would make for great TV Blame it on bigfoot!. If a bear does it they have human like footprints.! Just say large prints to large to be human were found around the remains. If a mountain lion does it we can only hope it doesn't leave prints mountain lions (cougars, lions whatever you wanna call um) are making a comeback and yet only bigfeet are able to maul cattle? Please these people trying to pass themselves off as scientist and don't even know highly known facts??? Where is the logic or scientific method?

Edited by We1