Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baseball sized hail hits OK

Simbi Laveau

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taun

• Simbi Laveau

• Mr.United_Nations

• Still Waters

That's not really all that unusual here... I have seen Grapefruit sized hail before - though that is pretty unusual...

Auto body shops do a good business repairing hail damage here...

*waves fist*

I will find one !

:-D

I just saw it on the news here this morning,and I have never seen hail that big

I didn't a specific answer after a quick google search so I'll ask here, anyone know if houses are specifically built to withstand repeated baseball-sized hail impacts where such events happen like they're built to resist earthquakes here in California?

I didn't a specific answer after a quick google search so I'll ask here, anyone know if houses are specifically built to withstand repeated baseball-sized hail impacts where such events happen like they're built to resist earthquakes here in California?

I dont think so.They reported all kinds of roof and car damage after this. You would think areas prone to this,would have very sturdy garages too.

Its too arbitrary to predict I think.

Generally, the wind causes much more damage than large hailstones... About 15 years ago we had sustained straight line winds of 100 MPH (160 kph) (NOT a tornado)... It tore bricks out of houses...

If you watch closely, you'll see that they really aren't falling that fast - about the speed of a thrown ball... Normal roofing can withstand that for a period - and most hailstorms are (thankfully) brief...

That being said - re-roofing is another profitable business here in Oklahoma...

I dont think so.They reported all kinds of roof and car damage after this. You would think areas prone to this,would have very sturdy garages too.

Its too arbitrary to predict I think.

While most newer houses do indeed have garages... the town of Woodward is a bit more rural - and many houses have no garage - sometimes a carport but that is often just sheet metal over a frame...

edit: plus a lot of people who have garages - tend to use them for storage - and a car would not actually fit in there... My ex-wife was convinced that our garage was a place to store all the shoes and other junk she bought but never wore...

Edited by Taun