Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Burnside (Lady In White) Legend

Goodnite

You can see the lady in white while traveling up or down Burnside mountain. She stands next to road with her finger pointing near Shamokin. She has been seen by many locals and travelers. She has been seen starting back to dates beginning in early 1942. When a traveler first seen her standing along side Burnside mountain. He said she seemed to be looking for someone. When he pulled up to her she then vanished.

We have seen her every night all of our lives. She is more like family in our small town. We have only been able to obtain one picture of Mrs. Robert J. Ferlenda. She is the wife of general Robert J. Ferlenda. His life was taken in war. That is who we feel she maybe looking for. He has never returned home to her or their only son Robert J. Ferlenda.

Like many ghost stories documented, its a sight you have to see for yourself. Don't get your hopes up if you don't see her. The best time is around 12:42 pm. Which was known of the time he was to have returned and never did.

We welcome you to our very small town and to our (Lady in White)

http://www.pennsylvania-mountains-of-attractions.com/burnside-lady-in-white.html

Edited by Still Waters
Edited source link to the actual article

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ColoradoParanormal

• Goodnite

• JesseCuster

• nyuk

Top Posters In This Topic

The best time is around 12:42 pm. Which was known of the time he was to have returned and never did.
Can you explain what this means?

He was supposed to have returned at precisely 12:42am, or did you mean something else? (I assume you mean 12:42 am as in 42 minutes past midnight as the picture is a night-time and the description is of a ghost at night-time)

Also, have you got a (much) better quality image? There seems to be an epidemic here of teeny weeny little heavily-compressed ghost pics being posted which are hard to make out or judge. If I'm posting a photo to a web forum, I generally upload a decent sized (1000px+) version as either a PNG or a high-quality JPEG.

I'd be interested in seeing the original picture or something close to the original.

As posted it came from the link cited. None of this is based on my observation or belief. I am not responsible for typos or the quality or lack thereof, of the picture. I posted this link and story as I thought it was interesting, nothing more.

Interesting story. I would be inclined simply from the nature of the pic to say that it has been altered, just by the look, nothing more. I would expect to see many pics of this apparition if it is truly seen "every night". As is, it's a neat story with a questionable image associated with it. Thanks for sharing.

As posted it came from the link cited. None of this is based on my observation or belief. I am not responsible for typos or the quality or lack thereof, of the picture. I posted this link and story as I thought it was interesting, nothing more.

Interesting story, thanx for posting. Don't worry about the typos, not everyone looks for small things to pick at.

You can see the lady in white while traveling up or down Burnside mountain. She stands next to road with her finger pointing near Shamokin. She has been seen by many locals and travelers. She has been seen starting back to dates beginning in early 1942. When a traveler first seen her standing along side Burnside mountain. He said she seemed to be looking for someone. When he pulled up to her she then vanished.

We have seen her every night all of our lives. She is more like family in our small town. We have only been able to obtain one picture of Mrs. Robert J. Ferlenda. She is the wife of general Robert J. Ferlenda. His life was taken in war. That is who we feel she maybe looking for. He has never returned home to her or their only son Robert J. Ferlenda.

Like many ghost stories documented, its a sight you have to see for yourself. Don't get your hopes up if you don't see her. The best time is around 12:42 pm. Which was known of the time he was to have returned and never did.

We welcome you to our very small town and to our (Lady in White)

http://www.pennsylva...stly-tales.html

Cool story, to bad General Robert J. Ferlenda does not show up on google, other than this topic though.If a real name had been used, would be a little more interesting.

Cool story, to bad General Robert J. Ferlenda does not show up on google, other than this topic though.If a real name had been used, would be a little more interesting.

Yup, I did some Googling and could only find this thread and the story from the site linked in the OP. Sounds a little suspicious to me, especially when the only evidence is, like I said, a teeny weeny little poor quality pic.

edit: To the OP, if you are going to copy and paste content from someone else's website, it's generally a good idea to make it clear that you are referring to something you didn't write yourself. As it is, the OP looks like it is your recount of your experience, which is why I directed my questions at you. The link included doesn't even take you to the original story, just the section of the website it came from, so there was no way of knowing you were merely copying and pasting someone else's story.

Edited by Archimedes

Hi Goodnite,

The forum you've posted this in is meant for your own Stories & Experiences. As this is not the case I'm moving it to a more appropriate forum.

This urban legend is found in every town across the United States with subtle differences but, it's still the same. That, in itself, shows how "credible" this is my friend. I don't believe a Ghost in white is found on every remote stretch of highway in this country. It's always a woman in white, child in white etc standing on the side of the road. Usually has some variation of when you pull over they simply disappear, or it can go as far as getting in the vehicle to simply vanish.

• 2 weeks later...

This urban legend is found in every town across the United States with subtle differences but, it's still the same. That, in itself, shows how "credible" this is my friend. I don't believe a Ghost in white is found on every remote stretch of highway in this country. It's always a woman in white, child in white etc standing on the side of the road. Usually has some variation of when you pull over they simply disappear, or it can go as far as getting in the vehicle to simply vanish.

Hi, there are many rales here in the UK too.

Its often a hitch hiker on a remote stretch of road.

Often its bad weather and a car pulls over to give him (its almost always a man) a lift.

Then he dissappears, or gets in and vanishes.

I guess its just a good story. People say they saw him, ti be honest sometimes i think ive seen him, but in truth its purely down to driving when feeling a bit tired.

Hi, there are many rales here in the UK too.

Its often a hitch hiker on a remote stretch of road.

Often its bad weather and a car pulls over to give him (its almost always a man) a lift.

Then he dissappears, or gets in and vanishes.

I guess its just a good story. People say they saw him, ti be honest sometimes i think ive seen him, but in truth its purely down to driving when feeling a bit tired.

Hey, yea I've heard that almost same story about a road here in Colorado. Same as the OP's story. It is a good story. Funny thing is, I know what you mean about thinking you've seen him/her. I thought I had years ago too. I was driving down this road called "riverdale road." It's supposedly super haunted and has this legend. I was on the road at around 3am and was exhausted and thought I"d spotted him. Of course it turned out to be nothing but my imagination.

Now, there was another instance where I was on this same road at around midnight. I had 2 friends with me and as we were driving there was a car pulled off on the side of the road with it's hazards on. I slowed a bit and drove by. We all saw it but as we passed by a few moments later we looked back and it was gone. Raised a few eyebrows between us. I turned around and went to verify and it was in-fact gone. We continued on and lo-and-behold, that vehicle some how got started and took off in just the few moments it took us to look back. It was driving down the road a little ways off when we caught up to it.

Goes to show how easily someone could think they had a paranormal sighting when in reality it's completely natural.

Yep, i agree that many people think theyve seen a ghost, especially when driving along a road which is notorious for seeing one.

Then their (experience) is told to others and becomes an urban legend, instead of being put down to tiredness.

Quite often we hear about these sightings and it can vary from Dick Turpin (a highway man over a 100 yrs ago) Or its simply someone with no name.